TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Col_Pladoh said:
look forward to 2007

How futuristic! We're all glad you're here and looking forward.

At the end of long meeting yesterday, the exec in charge, from Ireland, had a joyous yuletide line that struck me as perfect for the season of people getting excited about "Happy Holidays" versus "Merry Christmas". He said, in a sort of mumbling aw-shucks way: "Thanks everybody. For those of you who celebrate it, have a happy Christmas. And everybody, have a good break and a good New Year."

Where's the reindeer emoticon? :confused:

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Hey Gary, I've got a question about your Gord the Rogue novels. Gellor was one of my favorite characters in Saga of Old City, but unfortunately I don't have a copy of the book anymore. I seem to remember him being a bard. Anyway, what were his origins (i.e. birthplace) and where did he head off to after parting ways with Gord? I've just finished Sea of Dust (the 3rd I believe) so maybe Gellor comes back, but I'm curious.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
haakon1 said:
How futuristic! We're all glad you're here and looking forward.

At the end of long meeting yesterday, the exec in charge, from Ireland, had a joyous yuletide line that struck me as perfect for the season of people getting excited about "Happy Holidays" versus "Merry Christmas". He said, in a sort of mumbling aw-shucks way: "Thanks everybody. For those of you who celebrate it, have a happy Christmas. And everybody, have a good break and a good New Year."

Where's the reindeer emoticon? :confused:
Merry Christmas!

I suppose I am not sensitive to offending others, especially the Pollitically Correct, to whom I say, in so many words, get lost :]

:lol:
Yuletide best wished,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
airwalkrr said:
Hey Gary, I've got a question about your Gord the Rogue novels. Gellor was one of my favorite characters in Saga of Old City, but unfortunately I don't have a copy of the book anymore. I seem to remember him being a bard. Anyway, what were his origins (i.e. birthplace) and where did he head off to after parting ways with Gord? I've just finished Sea of Dust (the 3rd I believe) so maybe Gellor comes back, but I'm curious.
Happy Christmas:)

Likely I did have notes with that sort of detail, and perhaps they still exist somewhere in the mountains of books, magazines, and papers spread from attic to basement in this house... the older the work in question, the more deeply buried the clues regarding it :heh:

Not many authors make extensive notes regarding supporting characters, or about anything else that doesn't fit into the immediate story to be told, for such material tends to become set in stone and limit the scope of possibilities for new tales. (I once asked Fritz Leiber for details of Pulg and got much the same sort of reply as I make above, and he added that his fans knew more about Lankhmar than he did ;)

Yuletide best wishes,
Gary

Col_Pladoh said:
Merry Christmas!

I suppose I am not sensitive to offending others, especially the Pollitically Correct, to whom I say, in so many words, get lost :]

:lol:
Yuletide best wished,
Gary

Precisely what I thought you'd think. Having grown up in PC New York, living in England for a few years was liberating on the Merry Christmas front. Sure, some of your taxes go to somebody else's church, and you have a Queen (!) who claims to "defender of the faith", but hey, since it's officially a Christian country, it seems fine to say Merry/Happy Christmas all the time, instead of being sneaky about it. Hmm, pay taxes for people in funny outfits to ride around in carriages and make silly speeches, in exchange for freedom to say "Merry Christmas" . . . seems like a fair trade to me. :p

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Col_Pladoh said:

Likely I did have notes with that sort of detail, and perhaps they still exist somewhere in the mountains of books, magazines, and papers spread from attic to basement in this house... the older the work in question, the more deeply buried the clues regarding it :heh:

Not many authors make extensive notes regarding supporting characters, or about anything else that doesn't fit into the immediate story to be told, for such material tends to become set in stone and limit the scope of possibilities for new tales. (I once asked Fritz Leiber for details of Pulg and got much the same sort of reply as I make above, and he added that his fans knew more about Lankhmar than he did ;)

Yuletide best wishes,
Gary

Thanks anyway, Gary. I've always liked using Gellor in my home campaigns. I suppose I'll just come up with his background myself. Seems to me like he'd have a lot of friends in Urnst so he's probably from there.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
haakon1 said:
Precisely what I thought you'd think. ... Hmm, pay taxes for people in funny outfits to ride around in carriages and make silly speeches, in exchange for freedom to say "Merry Christmas" . . . seems like a fair trade to me. :p

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night.
Yuletide Cheer:)

All of that seems quite reasonable to me, but the UK needs something like our 1st Amendment to the Constitution.

Cristmas blessings,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
airwalkrr said:
Thanks anyway, Gary. I've always liked using Gellor in my home campaigns. I suppose I'll just come up with his background myself. Seems to me like he'd have a lot of friends in Urnst so he's probably from there.

Indeed, that is very much the sort of thing I wished to encourage with the WoG setting--DM adapatation of the material to suit the campaign being run!

Yuletide best wishes,
Gary

Seeker95

First Post
haakon1 said:
He said, in a sort of mumbling aw-shucks way: "Thanks everybody. For those of you who celebrate it, have a happy Christmas. And everybody, have a good break and a good New Year."
I find that most people who discover I am not a Christian appear perplexed at how to greet me from December 15th until on or about December 27th. Yet they have no problem ringing out a "Happy New Year!" to me.

The irony in this is that although not a Christian, I find great joy in celebrating the birth of Christ with those whose lives are shaped by faith in Him. At the same time, my "New Year" begins in March, not January.

Regardless of where *your* faith is placed, have a Merry Christmastime anyway.
And whenever your calendar begins, Happy Gregorian New Year to you!

Ridureyu

First Post
Merry Christmas!

Gary,

Yesterday I was trying to call a friend to tell them that I got a 4.0 in my first graduate semester, and through a strange twist of Twilight-Zone fate I accidentally dialed YOUR phone number. When I realized who it was, I laughed and wished you a Merry Christmas, you laughed and said Merry Christmas back.

First off, I won't give out your phone number - that's unethical, and I know what it's like to have complete strangers calling.

Anyway, by coincidence I had been contemplating registering on this forum and asking you if you would like to conduct a short interview for a research project that I have been working on for quite some time. I just didn't have the guts because, well, you're the guy who INVENTED DUNGEONS & DRAGONS, and all.

And then, yesterday, somehow I discovered your phone number while I was trying to dial Dr. Greer (his nyumber doesn't even resemble yours. Weird).

So, would you be open to any kind of interview, or anything of the sort? Either phone or e-mail would be all right. If you want more details, just ask.

(P.S. the call seriously made my day.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads