Q&A with Gary Gygax - Page 524
    Father of the Game
    Ancient Red Dragon (Lvl 30)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Block Col_Pladoh

Friend+
    Quote Originally Posted by Seeker95
    I find that most people who discover I am not a Christian appear perplexed at how to greet me from December 15th until on or about December 27th. ...
    Happy christmas!

Yuletide best,
    Gary
    XP Scott DeWar, Pendrake Utherman gave XP for this post

Gary, a quick note in case you don't get back to these boards this week: I hope you and the family have a happy holiday season, and may you keep in good health.

Father of the Game

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Block Col_Pladoh

Friend+
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridureyu
    Merry Christmas!

Gary,

Yesterday I was trying to call a friend to tell them that I got a 4.0 in my first graduate semester, and through a strange twist of Twilight-Zone fate I accidentally dialed YOUR phone number. When I realized who it was, I laughed and wished you a Merry Christmas, you laughed and said Merry Christmas back.

First off, I won't give out your phone number - that's unethical, and I know what it's like to have complete strangers calling.

Anyway, by coincidence I had been contemplating registering on this forum and asking you if you would like to conduct a short interview for a research project that I have been working on for quite some time. I just didn't have the guts because, well, you're the guy who INVENTED DUNGEONS & DRAGONS, and all.

And then, yesterday, somehow I discovered your phone number while I was trying to dial Dr. Greer (his nyumber doesn't even resemble yours. Weird).

So, would you be open to any kind of interview, or anything of the sort? Either phone or e-mail would be all right. If you want more details, just ask.

(P.S. the call seriously made my day.)
    Yuletide Felicitations, Ridureyu

Having a 4.0 grade point average is enough to get most persons rather exuberant and less than careful when dialing.

Of course I recall the incident well, and I thought it unusual that a chance wrong number would recognize my name, as that doesn't happen often in the real world. I was more often mistaken for Gerry Garcia than recognized as the chap that wrote the D&D game.

Anyway, I have no problems with giving an interview. Email me to set up a good time via telephone. The balance of this week is out, and sometime early next week I am doing a voice over for some folks, so likely the best time will be late next week.

ggygax@genevaonline.com

Christmas best wishes,
    Gary

Father of the Game

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Block Col_Pladoh

Friend+
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry
    Gary, a quick note in case you don't get back to these boards this week: I hope you and the family have a happy holiday season, and may you keep in good health.
    Merrie Christmas Henry

Thanks, and may you and yours be blessed now and in the New Year.

Yuletide cheer,
    Gary

PROOF! I HAVE PROO... er, I mean, thanks for responding!

Anyway, this being Christmas week, I'm pretty much shot, too - I also will be out of town in early January, so I'll send you that e-mail and see what we can do.

As far as game-related questions go:

I remember hearing that you designed certain monsters in the game after dime store dinosaurs. I, like a lot of people my age (mid-twenties), actually hd those dinosaurs when I was a little kid. I remember the ones that probably inspired the Rust Monster and the Bullete, but I'm wondering: Which monsters in all were inspired by those figures? if you remember?

Merry Christmas!

Father of the Game

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Block Col_Pladoh

Friend+
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridureyu

As far as game-related questions go:

I remember hearing that you designed certain monsters in the game after dime store dinosaurs. I, like a lot of people my age (mid-twenties), actually hd those dinosaurs when I was a little kid. I remember the ones that probably inspired the Rust Monster and the Bullete, but I'm wondering: Which monsters in all were inspired by those figures? if you remember?

Merry Christmas!
    Yuletide Felicitations!

Many dime store figurines were made to do for fantasy monsters when we played Chainmail Fantasy miniatures back in c. 1970, as no one made metal ones based on games then.

In addition to the rust monster and the bulette the owl bear came from that pack of weird figurines I found and converted to the FRPG monster roster. There might have been another, but I can't recall all the critters in that mix

Christmas cheer,
    Gary

The Grand Druid (Lvl 20)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    GM's DayCMG

Block Mark CMG

Friend+
    Happy Holidays, Poppa G!

Father of the Game

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Block Col_Pladoh

Friend+
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark CMG
    Happy Holidays, Poppa G!
    Yuletide Salutations Mark!

We will have a relatively quiet Christmas Eve at the home of Joe & Marie Martin-the syndicated cartoonist chap that does so many different strips that he's listed in the Guiness Book of Records. Christmas Eve is wife Gail's birthday anniversary, so we'll be with about 20 people for the dual celebration.

Most of the children and grandchildren won't be able to make a dinner on Christmas Day, so likely only three, or maybe six persons will be at our place then. A day of rest is not bad

Christmas cheer,
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh

In addition to the rust monster and the bulette the owl bear came from that pack of weird figurines I found and converted to the FRPG monster roster. There might have been another, but I can't recall all the critters in that mix
    I had that set long before I played D&D... Imagine my surprise when I saw the "bullette" in the MM and went digging through my old toys and there it was along with the Rust Monster, and like you said... seemed like there was another one...

Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    Most of the children and grandchildren won't be able to make a dinner on Christmas Day, so likely only three, or maybe six persons will be at our place then. A day of rest is not bad
    It is Sunday, after all.

Closed Thread
Page 524 of 880 FirstFirst ... 24424474514515516517518519520521522523524525526527528529530531532533534574624 ... LastLast