TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Seeker95 said:
I find that most people who discover I am not a Christian appear perplexed at how to greet me from December 15th until on or about December 27th. ...

Happy christmas!

;)

Yuletide best,
Gary

Henry

Autoexreginated
Gary, a quick note in case you don't get back to these boards this week: I hope you and the family have a happy holiday season, and may you keep in good health.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Ridureyu said:
Merry Christmas!

Gary,

Yesterday I was trying to call a friend to tell them that I got a 4.0 in my first graduate semester, and through a strange twist of Twilight-Zone fate I accidentally dialed YOUR phone number. When I realized who it was, I laughed and wished you a Merry Christmas, you laughed and said Merry Christmas back.

First off, I won't give out your phone number - that's unethical, and I know what it's like to have complete strangers calling.

Anyway, by coincidence I had been contemplating registering on this forum and asking you if you would like to conduct a short interview for a research project that I have been working on for quite some time. I just didn't have the guts because, well, you're the guy who INVENTED DUNGEONS & DRAGONS, and all.

And then, yesterday, somehow I discovered your phone number while I was trying to dial Dr. Greer (his nyumber doesn't even resemble yours. Weird).

So, would you be open to any kind of interview, or anything of the sort? Either phone or e-mail would be all right. If you want more details, just ask.

(P.S. the call seriously made my day.)
Yuletide Felicitations, Ridureyu:)

Having a 4.0 grade point average is enough to get most persons rather exuberant and less than careful when dialing.

Of course I recall the incident well, and I thought it unusual that a chance wrong number would recognize my name, as that doesn't happen often in the real world. I was more often mistaken for Gerry Garcia than recognized as the chap that wrote the D&D game.

Anyway, I have no problems with giving an interview. Email me to set up a good time via telephone. The balance of this week is out, and sometime early next week I am doing a voice over for some folks, so likely the best time will be late next week.

ggygax@genevaonline.com

Christmas best wishes,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Henry said:
Gary, a quick note in case you don't get back to these boards this week: I hope you and the family have a happy holiday season, and may you keep in good health.
Merrie Christmas Henry:)

Thanks, and may you and yours be blessed now and in the New Year.

Yuletide cheer,
Gary

Ridureyu

First Post
PROOF! I HAVE PROO... er, I mean, thanks for responding!

Anyway, this being Christmas week, I'm pretty much shot, too - I also will be out of town in early January, so I'll send you that e-mail and see what we can do.

As far as game-related questions go:

I remember hearing that you designed certain monsters in the game after dime store dinosaurs. I, like a lot of people my age (mid-twenties), actually hd those dinosaurs when I was a little kid. I remember the ones that probably inspired the Rust Monster and the Bullete, but I'm wondering: Which monsters in all were inspired by those figures? if you remember?

Merry Christmas!

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Ridureyu said:

As far as game-related questions go:

I remember hearing that you designed certain monsters in the game after dime store dinosaurs. I, like a lot of people my age (mid-twenties), actually hd those dinosaurs when I was a little kid. I remember the ones that probably inspired the Rust Monster and the Bullete, but I'm wondering: Which monsters in all were inspired by those figures? if you remember?

Merry Christmas!
Yuletide Felicitations!

Many dime store figurines were made to do for fantasy monsters when we played Chainmail Fantasy miniatures back in c. 1970, as no one made metal ones based on games then.

In addition to the rust monster and the bulette the owl bear came from that pack of weird figurines I found and converted to the FRPG monster roster. There might have been another, but I can't recall all the critters in that mix :confused:

Christmas cheer,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Mark CMG said:
:) Happy Holidays, Poppa G! :)
Yuletide Salutations Mark!

We will have a relatively quiet Christmas Eve at the home of Joe & Marie Martin-the syndicated cartoonist chap that does so many different strips that he's listed in the Guiness Book of Records. Christmas Eve is wife Gail's birthday anniversary, so we'll be with about 20 people for the dual celebration.

Most of the children and grandchildren won't be able to make a dinner on Christmas Day, so likely only three, or maybe six persons will be at our place then. A day of rest is not bad :lol:

Christmas cheer,
Gary

ragboy

Explorer
Col_Pladoh said:
In addition to the rust monster and the bulette the owl bear came from that pack of weird figurines I found and converted to the FRPG monster roster. There might have been another, but I can't recall all the critters in that mix :confused:

I had that set long before I played D&D... Imagine my surprise when I saw the "bullette" in the MM and went digging through my old toys and there it was along with the Rust Monster, and like you said... seemed like there was another one...

dcas

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
Most of the children and grandchildren won't be able to make a dinner on Christmas Day, so likely only three, or maybe six persons will be at our place then. A day of rest is not bad :lol:

It is Sunday, after all. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads