TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

StupidSmurf

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
Christmas Blessings!

there might have been something skin to an ankylosaurus in the pack of monsters. Blamed is I can remember :confused:

Yuletide best,
Gary

Hi Gary!
Just wanted to pass on to you a Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, and God Bless!

-JT

Quasqueton

First Post
Mr. Gygax,

I've got a question based on two observations about AD&D1.

1- In looking back through some old official D&D adventure modules, I see the treasure awards were usually very high -- many thousands of gp worth of treasure (not counting magic items).

2- The AD&D1 rules called for some pretty hefty training costs to level up.

My question:

Which came first? Was the confiscatory training costs an answer to strip away all that treasure given in the adventure modules, or was the level of treasure given in adventure modules increased to cover the cost of training?

Thanks, and Merry Christmas.

Quasqueton

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
haakon1 said:
You're used to being blamed. I just had lunch with an old friend who was telling me when he was growing up and wanted to do D&D, he told his parents it was a storytelling and imagination game, about fighting evil, and they said, "You're sure it's not that evil devil game?" He said it wasn't, so they got it. :)

I wonder if the stegasaurus is in the MM? I'll have to go look. I'm sure there's no illustration of it, because that I'd remember.
Yuletide Felicitations:)

Story-creating game is believable. Story-telling the RPG is not, for that's the role of fiction authors :lol:

As for stegasaurs, I used a plastic model of one to create what was likely the first miniature figurine for table-top fantasy gaming. Two of the tail spikes became horns, and wire and auto body putty extended the tail, gave it a nasty barbed point too. Cardboard wings of bat-like sort completed the basic form, and then I painted it in shades of red save for an underbelly that faded from orange to yellow. The latter I studed with sparkle "gems" ala Smaug, and the gamers loved it's appearance, feared it's 9" long cone of fiery breath (made from red bond paper).

Christmas cheer,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
StupidSmurf said:
Hi Gary!
Just wanted to pass on to you a Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, and God Bless!

-JT
Thanks so very much:)

A Merry Christmas and Prosperous New Year to You and All!

Yuletide best,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Quasqueton said:
Mr. Gygax,

I've got a question based on two observations about AD&D1.

1- In looking back through some old official D&D adventure modules, I see the treasure awards were usually very high -- many thousands of gp worth of treasure (not counting magic items).

2- The AD&D1 rules called for some pretty hefty training costs to level up.

My question:

Which came first? Was the confiscatory training costs an answer to strip away all that treasure given in the adventure modules, or was the level of treasure given in adventure modules increased to cover the cost of training?

Thanks, and Merry Christmas.

Quasqueton
Yuletide Salutations Quasqueton:)

Gaining lots of treasure is something I always favored. To keep it moving I encouraged players to have their PCs hire many retainers, troops, build a castle, etc. When that failed to keep them seeking more wealth the trainig costs and other cash-draining devices were added into the game.

Christmas cheer,
Gary

gideon_thorne

First Post
My dad and I used to spend much time with wire mesh and paper mache, sand and glue, and much model railroading tree's and such to put together many a diorama. At the time I was more into the war gaming miniatures and had scads of WWII soldiers from various nations. Easier to come by these days, but somehow much more fun back then.

Most of those around at the time were into large scale war games of all sorts.

Paper and dice just seemed a logical extension of a hobby I was already in for nearly as long as I remember. :)

Col_Pladoh said:
As for stegasaurs, I used a plastic model of one to create what was likely the first miniature figurine for table-top fantasy gaming. Two of the tail spikes became horns, and wire and auto body putty extended the tail, gave it a nasty barbed point too. Cardboard wings of bat-like sort completed the basic form, and then I painted it in shades of red save for an underbelly that faded from orange to yellow. The latter I studed with sparkle "gems" ala Smaug, and the gamers loved it's appearance, feared it's 9" long cone of fiery breath (made from red bond paper).

Christmas cheer,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
gideon_thorne said:
My dad and I used to spend much time with wire mesh and paper mache, sand and glue, and much model railroading tree's and such to put together many a diorama. At the time I was more into the war gaming miniatures and had scads of WWII soldiers from various nations. Easier to come by these days, but somehow much more fun back then.

Most of those around at the time were into large scale war games of all sorts.

Paper and dice just seemed a logical extension of a hobby I was already in for nearly as long as I remember. :)
Happy Christmas Peter:)

Yes indeed! We used a lot of model railroad scenics on the old sand table, including LifeLike grass to complete the setting. Tops from spray cans and the plastic covers of MiniTanks could be used to make excellent bunkers, the guns from scrapped miniatures such as the M10/M36 or artillery pieces. Cottage cheese carton tops were used to cut pieces from to make welded armor plate additions to M4s, while sandbags of auto body putty and track pieces cut off scrap AVFs added to the extra armor. I had several M36B1 I converted using M4 hulls and M36 turrets, and several of my M8s has nylon stocking "wire mesh" over their open turrets.

My favorite conversion, though, was my Duke of Brunswick command figure for Napoleonic miniatures. I used a Scruby "Mounted Prussian Officer" figure, painted it up in black, gave him a chest full of medals and a monacle, then added a piece of Airfix plastic sprue to his raised hand, As it was pinkish-brown, and I painted a yellow band around it, the appearance was like that of a giant Oscar Meyet braunschweiger sausage. When he advanced ahead of the Brunswisk troops I played the Oscar Meyer "ta-da-de-da" on a little plastic "weenie whistle"--those being given out as promotion back in the 60s.

Oddly enough, the "serious" Napoleonics buffs found that offensive :uhoh:

:lol:
Yuletide best wishes,
Gary

gideon_thorne

First Post
*chuckles* Quite by accident my dad and I discovered a process that makes a very neat looking burned out building. Towit any kind of aresol spray of a dark colour sprayed on stirofoam buildings. The burned and disolved look was rather realistic. :)

There is a friend of ours, Charlie Lemmons, that works in the Fort Knox museum who had seemingly hundreds of thousands of the tiny 1/4th inch high wargaming mini's. I recall visiting his house where he had a wall covered in shelves full of those things. Mostly 'napoleonic' war in scope.

I never could take the 'serious' buff's seriously. Not with all those brightly painted toys to play with.

Merry Christmas :)

Col_Pladoh said:
Happy Christmas Peter:)

Yes indeed! We used a lot of model railroad scenics on the old sand table, including LifeLike grass to complete the setting. Tops from spray cans and the plastic covers of MiniTanks could be used to make excellent bunkers, the guns from scrapped miniatures such as the M10/M36 or artillery pieces. Cottage cheese carton tops were used to cut pieces from to make welded armor plate additions to M4s, while sandbags of auto body putty and track pieces cut off scrap AVFs added to the extra armor. I had several M36B1 I converted using M4 hulls and M36 turrets, and several of my M8s has nylon stocking "wire mesh" over their open turrets.

My favorite conversion, though, was my Duke of Brunswick command figure for Napoleonic miniatures. I used a Scruby "Mounted Prussian Officer" figure, painted it up in black, gave him a chest full of medals and a monacle, then added a piece of Airfix plastic sprue to his raised hand, As it was pinkish-brown, and I painted a yellow band around it, the appearance was like that of a giant Oscar Meyet braunschweiger sausage. When he advanced ahead of the Brunswisk troops I played the Oscar Meyer "ta-da-de-da" on a little plastic "weenie whistle"--those being given out as promotion back in the 60s.

Oddly enough, the "serious" Napoleonics buffs found that offensive :uhoh:

:lol:
Yuletide best wishes,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
gideon_thorne said:
*chuckles* Quite by accident my dad and I discovered a process that makes a very neat looking burned out building. Towit any kind of aresol spray of a dark colour sprayed on stirofoam buildings. The burned and disolved look was rather realistic. :)

There is a friend of ours, Charlie Lemmons, that works in the Fort Knox museum who had seemingly hundreds of thousands of the tiny 1/4th inch high wargaming mini's. I recall visiting his house where he had a wall covered in shelves full of those things. Mostly 'napoleonic' war in scope.

I never could take the 'serious' buff's seriously. Not with all those brightly painted toys to play with.

Merry Christmas :)
Heh, and Happy Holidays:)

The Airfix, I think, "Houses under Construction" set made excellent destroyed buildings when a soldering iron and some black spray paint were applied to them.

I learned about styrofoam (sp.?) melting quite by accident, but we used it only for hills and ridges.

As for the serious miniatures types, they surely didn't like it when I called the games "playing with toy soldiers," but they couldn't ever take a joje well anyway... :eek:

Yuletide best wishes,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads