TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Gray Mouser

First Post
Greetings Colonel. I hope the Christmas season finds you well.

I have a question on how you envision the differences in behavior of demons and devils, specifically regarding the behavior of major types of these creatures staging forays into the Prime Material plane. Seeing as how demons are Chaotic in nature I can easily envision a demon prince "invading" the Prime Material plane on his own initiative.

Devils, however, are Lawful and I get the feeling from what you wrote about them in ther MM and MM II that their hierarchical organization would frown on such independence (to say the least). Would an undertaking such as having Dispater's followers on the Prime Material plane launch an attack on a religious order of good need to be OK'ed by Asmodeus, for example, or, since he's an Arch-Devil would something like this be left to his own devices (unless, of course, it met with serious problems or failure)? Also, since Dispater is, according to the MM II, an ally of Mephistopheles, do you have any thoughts on how that dynamic would play out?

IMC, Dispater has a history of conflict with one of the good lesser gods and suffered a particularly stinging defeat at his hands in the distant past. My thought is to have the encounters with his followers my PC's are having turn out to be something of a vanguard for an attack on the followers of said good god and/or his followers with the possibility of the PCs ending up in Dis at some point or perhaps even encountering Dispater on the Prime Material plane. Your thoughts on the possibility of each of these actions in light of the Lawful nature of the devils and their hierarchical organization would be most appreciated.

Merry Christmas.

Gray Mouser

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Joël of the FoS said:
Hey!

Merry Xmas, and I wish your holidays to be free of cheap beers :)

Joël
Yuletide Salutations:)

Now that is a most generous ho9liday wish, and one that my wife assures won't happen when she picks up New Glarus brews at the store!

Merry Christmas,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Yuletide Felicitations Gray Mouser:)

You have the differences between demons and devils I envisaged well in hand.

Demons are also unpredictable, not prone to follow instructions save through fear and force. A major one might well not cause death and desituction, but rather do something wealsome on a whim...or be exceptionally cruel.

Devils are far more predictable and orderly in their evil activities. Of course they too are subject to force and fear, but they need not be supervised continually to be assured of their acting as instructed, because their own nature is regimentation and obedience to those more powerful and malicious.

Christmas best wishes,
Gary

Orius

Legend
Gray Mouser said:
Devils, however, are Lawful and I get the feeling from what you wrote about them in ther MM and MM II that their hierarchical organization would frown on such independence (to say the least). Would an undertaking such as having Dispater's followers on the Prime Material plane launch an attack on a religious order of good need to be OK'ed by Asmodeus, for example, or, since he's an Arch-Devil would something like this be left to his own devices (unless, of course, it met with serious problems or failure)? Also, since Dispater is, according to the MM II, an ally of Mephistopheles, do you have any thoughts on how that dynamic would play out?

OTOH, even though they are lawful, they're always scheming among each other for power and position. I see nothing wrong with them acting independantly for their own advantage. Also, Asmodeus probably doesn't mind seeing Dispater, Mephistopheles, and the rest fighting among among themselves, because they're not fighting against him.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
infighting among the devils is probably rare insofaras combat-type encounters; their infighting probably involves a lot more espionage, subterfuge, sabotage, and diplomacy. ;)

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
BOZ said:
infighting among the devils is probably rare insofaras combat-type encounters; their infighting probably involves a lot more espionage, subterfuge, sabotage, and diplomacy. ;)
Christmas Day Felicatations:)

Just so, Boz!

Plotting and intregue, machinations to discredit one above so as to move up in the hierarchy, but don't get caught!

yuletide best wishes,
Gary

Rakin

First Post
C&C Casting Time

Hi Gary (or anyone else),
I just recently purchased what I needed to play the C&C RPG game and let me tell you I'm somewhat excited to dive into it for it seems far better than that other table top game that will go unmentioned, that I currently play. I just have one question for all you gods among tabletop RPG's, how do you handle spells that are CT 1 (1 round to cast). PLaces in the book it mentions interupting these spells with damage and the such but the books make it sound like the spell should be announced and go off at the same time (the init. roll of the caster) Ive left a post on the Troll forums asking a few opinions and at best I got back a few ways to handle this. I have an idea on what I want to do, but I wanted to know what the best of the best is going to do. Thanks in advance. :D

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Rakin said:
Hi Gary (or anyone else),
I just recently purchased what I needed to play the C&C RPG game and let me tell you I'm somewhat excited to dive into it for it seems far better than that other table top game that will go unmentioned, that I currently play. I just have one question for all you gods among tabletop RPG's, how do you handle spells that are CT 1 (1 round to cast). PLaces in the book it mentions interupting these spells with damage and the such but the books make it sound like the spell should be announced and go off at the same time (the init. roll of the caster) Ive left a post on the Troll forums asking a few opinions and at best I got back a few ways to handle this. I have an idea on what I want to do, but I wanted to know what the best of the best is going to do. Thanks in advance. :D
Howdy!

I parsonally handle spell casting in the C&C game as I did in OAD&D.

How about you setting forth your proposed mechanics for comment?

Happy New Year,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads