TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
haakon1 said:
Don't check out computer war gaming . . . you could seriously spend about 5 years playing "War in the Pacific". I played about 1 day of it (December 8, 1941) and decided I should wait for more when I'm retired. A game with ever aircraft and ship in the Pacific Theatre, even Merchant Ships . . . that's too cool to play! Someday, I'll figure out where George H.W. Bush is -- I guess he was still in Yale on that day, but presumably he shows up in the replacements eventually, along with John F. Kennedy. The generals and admirals are all real names. You can fire Nimitz and put Halsey in charge, if you want. :cool:
That sounds much like the game planned by some students at Stanford, the Ad Hoc Committee for the Re-Instuttion of WW II. It was multi-player with participants all over the USA and elsewhere too, but it broke down because of work load--no personal computers around to assist back in the 1960s. I was the Chinese Communists, BTW, while Don Kay had the Nationalists. and out Economic Commander was in Milwaukee. Later on the boardgame Drang Nacht Osten had the Russian Front in battalion scale IIRR. One of my old wargaming chums was caught up in the play of that monster :eek:

As for firing, I do believe I would relieve Halsey before I did the same for Nimitz. "The wohole world wonders, where is Task Force 34? :uhoh: :lol:

Cheers,
Gary

John Drake

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
I listen to classical music mostly, but I also enjoy Spanish guitar, modern jazz, old r & b (1950s), and blues, even some country & western and opera now and again.

Cheers,
Gary

Nice stuff! Thank you so much for the response! :D Any composers/ artists that are particular favourites? Do you ever get a chance to listen to any contemporary composers, and if so do any of them appeal at all? One of my favourites is Phillip Glass ( Liquid Days/ Soundtrack for Candyman/ Glassworks).
One other question, if I may be so bold: a friend of mine is going down to Cuba, and he said he could bring back some cigars for me, which, of course, I would like very much! :lol: Now, I believe you do or did enjoy cigars (being somewhat of a connoisseur, IIRC from a much earlier post discussing wine etc) and as I'm not particularily well informed in this area, I was wondering if you might be so kind as to perhaps suggest/recommend some cigars. Your enlightenment would be much appreciated! Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my queries. Cheers! :)

Tarek

Explorer
That's because the list of devils in the Monster Manual II originally appeared in a series of articles in Dragon, wherein the designation of the asterisk is explained. You may be remembering the articles in Dragon too.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
John Drake said:
Nice stuff! Thank you so much for the response! :D Any composers/ artists that are particular favourites? Do you ever get a chance to listen to any contemporary composers, and if so do any of them appeal at all? One of my favourites is Phillip Glass ( Liquid Days/ Soundtrack for Candyman/ Glassworks).
I tend to most enjoy the works of composers from the time of Mozart an through Saint Saens and Deliebs. Some of the scores for films are interesting, although unless prompted I can not name the one or two composers that I most enjoy.

One other question, if I may be so bold: a friend of mine is going down to Cuba, and he said he could bring back some cigars for me, which, of course, I would like very much! :lol: Now, I believe you do or did enjoy cigars (being somewhat of a connoisseur, IIRC from a much earlier post discussing wine etc) and as I'm not particularily well informed in this area, I was wondering if you might be so kind as to perhaps suggest/recommend some cigars. Your enlightenment would be much appreciated! Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my queries. Cheers! :)
Sadly, I do not have a source for Cuban cigars, so I am quite ignorant in regards which brands are especially outstanding. Screenwriter James Goldman was a frined of mione and most knowledgeable in this area, but Jim passed away some years back, so I can not tap his expertise.

All I can suggest is if you do not regularly smoke cigars have your friend get you long, thin ones, not the big torpedoes such as Winston Churchill enjoyed.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Tarek said:
That's because the list of devils in the Monster Manual II originally appeared in a series of articles in Dragon, wherein the designation of the asterisk is explained. You may be remembering the articles in Dragon too.
Now spill the beans so that no one has to search the old zine copies to find out. Does the asterisk mean the devil was a jumper-up Pit Field?

:lol:
Gary

ghul

Explorer
LA Avatar

Hello Gary,

When rolling up a Lejendary Adventures avatar, can the "additional ability" (the one that starts at a score of 10) count towards those abilites required for Avatar Orders? For example, I rolled up an Ilf that I'd like to be in the Mage Order:
1st Ability: enchantment
2nd: aracna
3rd: weapons
4th: hunt
5th: stealth

If I use the additional ability on "learning" will that start my character as a 10th Rank "Master Magician"?

Hoping to try this character out at the LGGC! :)

Take care,
--Ghul (Jeff T.)

Henry

Autoexreginated
haakon1 said:
Does anybody have the Gary quote that used to be in a sig around here?

Something about excessive timidity or foolhardiness both being harbingers of death in such a setting? It was a goody. I think it was Henry's, but I could be wrong.?

Google is your friend, as the saying goes:

Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
Rashness and foolhardiness are harbingers of death, as is timidity, in such adventure setting.

It was Gentlegamer's signature.

http://72.14.209.104/search?q=cache...site:www.enworld.org&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases