TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Gray Mouser

First Post
Contrarian said:
You're remembering the "From the Sorceror's Scroll" column in Dragon issue 75. The article's text is virtually identical to the MMII "Devils" section, but one paragraph (the one explaining who's a pit fiend and who's female) appears to have been dropped when it was put into MMII.

Ah, thanks. I knew I had seen something explaining that somewhere. Now I'll have to see if I have issue 75 lurking about anywhere.

Dragon 75 also has Part 1 of Ed Greenwood's article about the Nine Hells. There's a lot of Hell in that issue. Made quite an impression on me back in the day. I set my first extraplanar adventure in the Nine Hells.

Hmm, I'm not a huge Ed Greenwood fan, but this sounds interesting. My campaign involves a conflict between followers of Dispater and a religious order the PC Cleric and Paladin belong to. I certainly wouldn't mind having a peek at someone's idea of the city of Dis in case I ever need it (beside Dante's, of course).

Gray Mouser

John Drake

First Post
Hello Gary!
How are things? Very well I hope. Gary, I was just wondering, do you have any plans in the forseeable future of perhaps visiting up here in Toronto? Personally, I do know there is a big sci fi con at the convention centre here in downtown, which of course attracts a lot of gamers. Thanks so much Gary. Ciao!

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
John Drake said:
Hello Gary!
How are things? Very well I hope. Gary, I was just wondering, do you have any plans in the forseeable future of perhaps visiting up here in Toronto? Personally, I do know there is a big sci fi con at the convention centre here in downtown, which of course attracts a lot of gamers. Thanks so much Gary. Ciao!
Howdy John,

I was a GoH at the Toronto event last August...

The only con I plan on attending this year if the Lake Geneva Gaming convention about five or six blocks from my house :lol:

Cheers,
Gary

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Col_Pladoh said:
It has been almost 30 years since I wrote that adventure, but...

Thinking back I most likely did it so as to offer a really major challenge to the adventuring party early on. While I didn't mention it, when I DMed the scenario I had King Snurre move to another area and set up an ambush with his flunkies when the PCs returned loaded for bear to get him. I recall Jim Ward's PC used a magic jar spell to take over the queen, and the party were nost eager to get poor little Obmi :lol:

G'day, Gary!

Poor little Obmi? Yep - you're definitely a DM. :)

By that stage, was Obmi a recurring villain for your players? I seem to remember you writing in Dragon magazine that Obmi had turned up before with some unusual (and frustrating) device.

Cheers!

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
MerricB said:
G'day, Gary!

Poor little Obmi? Yep - you're definitely a DM. :)

By that stage, was Obmi a recurring villain for your players? I seem to remember you writing in Dragon magazine that Obmi had turned up before with some unusual (and frustrating) device.

Cheers!
Heh...

Well, yes! Obmi originally was encountered in the dungeons of Greyhawk Castle. He will appear in the Castle Zagyg module series. Obmi appered with one KEEK, an evil elf, in the Gord the Rogue series...and son Luke unknowingly played out one of the novels' scenes, just as I had envisioned it :D

Cheers,
Gary

John Drake

First Post
Thanks Gary! Too bad for me I guess! If not for weddings and such, I'd be there in a shot. Pretty sweet for you though (and the people at the con!) Anyway, maybe next year I'll be able to make it to LG. Here's hoping!

dagiz

First Post
Gary -

Wanted to say thanks for writing another Gord story - those books and novels were the first ones that I ever really read and what my dad used to get me to read. I still have them on my book shelves (my wife wishes I didn't). So thanks for the novels!

anyways, I was curious to see how you balanced out realism vs. fun, making sure that there was a degree of believability without it getting too tedious?

Thanks!

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
John Drake said:
Thanks Gary! Too bad for me I guess! If not for weddings and such, I'd be there in a shot. Pretty sweet for you though (and the people at the con!) Anyway, maybe next year I'll be able to make it to LG. Here's hoping!
Funny you should mention weddings. My daughter Elise is getting married on the Saturday of the LGGC, so I'll be basent for about two hours thta day :eek:

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
KRBourgoine said:
Gary,

What are your thoughts on the final publicated version of "The Return of Gord"?

:D

KRBourgoine
Howdy Pard!

The editing of the story was about average in terms of destruction...nowhere near as bad as what Mongoose did to what Creffield and I wrote for them. The positive side is that the yarn can eventually be published in generally uncut form.

Cheers,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases