TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
dagiz said:
Gary -

Wanted to say thanks for writing another Gord story - those books and novels were the first ones that I ever really read and what my dad used to get me to read. I still have them on my book shelves (my wife wishes I didn't). So thanks for the novels!

anyways, I was curious to see how you balanced out realism vs. fun, making sure that there was a degree of believability without it getting too tedious?

Thanks!
You need to thank Bourgoine for the latest Gord tale. He was the one that encouraged its creation and took the lead.

As for crafting a yarn, that's a good deal akin to GMing an adventure for a group of players. If you know your genre and its parameters, then the task is one that is a matter of common sense. Adventure, excitement, and danger are usually more important than actual verisimilitude in short stories. In novel-length tales all that and a good deal of character development should be developed.

Cheers,
Gary

John Drake

First Post
Hey there Gary
These are some pretty standard questions I suppose, and no doubt have been asked this before, but I have not been fortunate enough to have heard the answer. So, apologies for the repeat of query :) What I was wondering was:

From a player's perspective, what is your favourite AD&D character class? If you do have one, for what reason is it your favouite?
I do realise you have doubtlessly DMed countless games, but bearing that in mind, do you have a particular type of plot/story that you enjoy creating/running the most? (eg mystery, espionage, hack'n slash)
Which have you tended to do more of: play or DM/GM? Which do you prefer?
Thanks Gary, for taking the time to consider these wacky questions of a fan. Thanks! :lol:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
John Drake said:
Hey there Gary
These are some pretty standard questions I suppose, and no doubt have been asked this before, but I have not been fortunate enough to have heard the answer. So, apologies for the repeat of query :) What I was wondering was:

From a player's perspective, what is your favourite AD&D character class? If you do have one, for what reason is it your favouite?
Howdy,

I usually play a magic-user, fighter, or a multi-classed demi-human--such as an illusionist thief--when I play OAD&D. I don't mind playing a cleric, druid, or ranger though. It is just that I began RPGing when class choices were more limited, so most of my established PCs are fighters, or magic-users. When I am tired, I always opt for a fighter, when feeling full of vinegar I prefer a mage.

I do realise you have doubtlessly DMed countless games, but bearing that in mind, do you have a particular type of plot/story that you enjoy creating/running the most? (eg mystery, espionage, hack'n slash)
No special favorite plots or stories, just something that has adventure, exploration, mystery, and problem solving in addition to the action.

Which have you tended to do more of: play or DM/GM? Which do you prefer?
Thanks Gary, for taking the time to consider these wacky questions of a fan. Thanks! :lol:
Since sometime around 1975 I increasingly served as GM. That holds true today when i seldom get to participate in another role. Thus I now prefer having a player's role to that of a GM's. Otherwise, I enjoy both aspects of the RPG, but to be a good GM one must sometimes be on the other side of the proverbial screen ;)

Cheers,
Gary

Zudrak

Explorer
Gary,

Obmi has to be my favorite NPC ever. In the 80's, he drove the PC's bonkers (<-- it was the 80's!). When we resumed gaming c. 2000, I brought him out in an old castle/dungeon of my making and once again was my favorite weapon at my DM disposal.

In this dungeon, he was working at a bench when he was approached, feigning to be slaving away. Strangely, nearby was a sliding glass door which looked out to a forest. He stabbed the fighter as they were talking and fled out the glass door. The party of four pursued him, not knowing they were running into "The Repeating Forest", which would repeat itself every 200'. Thus he doubled back on them using its repeating feature and escaped via the sliding door.

My wife will still mention him from time to time whenever we discuss gaming. Bravo on such a great character that really knows how to get under the PCs' collective skin. :]

John Drake

First Post
Hiya Gary!
So, I'm online and I figure I'll check out Amazon to see what Jack Vance novels they got and maybe I'll pick up a few ( I asked you awhile ago about his works influence on the magic system in AD&D, before the site crash or whatever happened here on EN World) and wow, the choice was quite large, to say the least. I was wondering, do you have any reccomendations or launch points for someone just starting to read Vance's work? As always, thanks for your time and consideration. Ciao!

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Zudrak said:
Gary,

Obmi has to be my favorite NPC ever. In the 80's, he drove the PC's bonkers (<-- it was the 80's!). When we resumed gaming c. 2000, I brought him out in an old castle/dungeon of my making and once again was my favorite weapon at my DM disposal.

In this dungeon, he was working at a bench when he was approached, feigning to be slaving away. Strangely, nearby was a sliding glass door which looked out to a forest. He stabbed the fighter as they were talking and fled out the glass door. The party of four pursued him, not knowing they were running into "The Repeating Forest", which would repeat itself every 200'. Thus he doubled back on them using its repeating feature and escaped via the sliding door.

My wife will still mention him from time to time whenever we discuss gaming. Bravo on such a great character that really knows how to get under the PCs' collective skin. :]
:lol:

That is much how I regarded the cherished Obmi as the DM, how my players felt about the hated dwarf. Worse still...

Son Ernie had Obmi in his campaign, and who should I be playing but Zigby, my dwarf fighter. How I wanted to catch and trash that vile, filthy, fleeing runt after he popped my PC with a dwarven throwing hammer. Irritatingly, I could not find him in the maze he used to make good his escape :]

:eek:
Gary

Last edited:

Zudrak

Explorer
Col_Pladoh said:
:lol:

That is much how I regarded the cherished Obmi as the DM, how my players felt about the hated dwarf. Worse still...

Son Ernie had Obmi in his campaign, and who should I be playing but Zigby, my dwarf fighter. How I wanted to catch and trash that vile, filthy, fleeing runt after he popped my PC with a dwarven throwing hammer. Irritatingly, I could not find him in the maze he used to make good his escape :]

:eek:
Gary

Haha! The grig and pixies the party encountered in the aforementioned forest delayed them whilst hunting Obmi. Needless to say, the dwarf (my brother) and elf (my wife) dancing together while the cleric and halfling thief laughed made for a most entertaining session for me. Racial unity, all with a fiddle and a spell!

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases