TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Col_Pladoh said:
Heh...

Well, yes! Obmi originally was encountered in the dungeons of Greyhawk Castle. He will appear in the Castle Zagyg module series. Obmi appered with one KEEK, an evil elf, in the Gord the Rogue series...and son Luke unknowingly played out one of the novels' scenes, just as I had envisioned it :D

Cheers,
Gary

Speaking as the author of Keak's converted statistics for the Living Greyhawk campaign, I am quite interested to hear you mention him as he is one of my favorite GH villains. This actually brings up a fairly silly question however which several of my friends and I have debated. Was it intended to be pronounced "keek" or "kee-ack?"

Obmi is also one of my favorites. Thanks for inventing such lively (and deliciously evil) characters! You might be happy to hear that the names of both still strike terror and hatred in the heart of hundreds of LG players.

Last edited:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Nathan P. Mahney said:
So why Greyhawk, and not Grayhawk? Why the unpatriotic support of spelling from across the pond?
Why not be different? :p

Actually, it just seemed better to spell it that way at the time... :D

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
airwalkrr said:
Speaking as the author of Keak's converted statistics for the Living Greyhawk campaign, I am quite interested to hear you mention him as he is one of my favorite GH villains. This actually brings up a fairly silly question however which several of my friends and I have debated. Was it intended to be pronounced "keek" or "kee-ack?"

Obmi is also one of my favorites. Thanks for inventing such lively (and deliciously evil) characters! You might be happy to hear that the names of both still strike terror and hatred in the heart of hundreds of LG players.
Salut!

My pleasure to have struck a chord with Obmi and Keak.

As "keak" means to to cackle, it is pronounced as a single syllable, keek.

Finally, considering the number of persons that read the Gord novel in which they appear, the number of G# modules sold and re-sold, I do believe somethink like hundredsof thousands have been introduced tio those villians and despised them :eek:

Cheers,
Gary

Nathan P. Mahney

First Post
John Drake said:
Because as unpatriotic as you may think it is, it's the right way! :p

Hey, I agree - check my location, we in Australia follow our British masters in all forms of spelling. I like Greyhawk with the e, personally - English spelling tends to look more authentically medieval to my eyes (as much as I realise it isn't). Which is why seeing things like Armor Class in the rules always bugs me - should be Armour all the way!

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
John Drake said:
Because as unpatriotic as you may think it is, it's the right way! :p
Ahem!

As a descendant or Noah Webster on my maternal, maternal side of the family I must object to that baseless assertion. Curb such statements, as the question of proper spelling is in the gray area. I do believe America English has a larger number of speakers than any other form, ay?

:lol:
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
ghul said:
Mr. Gygax, you are indeed a cunning linguist, pond sides be damned!

--Ghul
:p
Heh...

Fact is I have a good deal of respect for England and its peoples, British history and tradition. Winston Churchill prevented the loss of WWII back in May 1940 by refusing to negotiate with the Nazis as some in the UK wished, the French did in fact.

Cheers,
Gary

Henry

Autoexreginated
Nellisir said:
Here's a question for Gary (or if it's been asked, anyone who can point me to the answer):

What light can you shed on the origins, sources, and inspiration of the Suel pantheon in Greyhawk, particularly Wee Jas? I've heard the name is a play on Ouiji, or "oui"-"ja", but nothing beyond that.

Thanks,
Nell.

ING (I'm not Gary), but I've instead heard that "Wee Jas" is a (Gaelic?) way of saying "little Janice," rather than the "ouija" story. Only Gary can answer with certainty. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases