TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Gray Mouser said:
:confused:

Not powerful enough? Gads, man. If Mordenkainen, Bigby, etc. weren't strong enough to survive an extra planar trip who is?
Mordie is nervous aboard the Starship Warden, and even with his most powerful associates would not feel confident of adveturing in the Hells or the Abyss. Maybe if he was a demi-god and his companions were all of at least quasi-deity status...

Heh, I didn't know Robilar got way laid by Zugtmoy. She's tricky, eh? Did Robilar, Erac and Ailerach encounter any figures of note there (besides Z. and Fraz-urb lu, obviously), or was it mostly lesser demons and other sundries? I sure would like to get the chance to drop some PC's in on Juiblex, myself. Sadly, they're currently getting smacked by some hobgoblins :\

Gray Mouser
The Demoness Queen of Fungi was not so clever, robilar was brash. He tossed a pillar through the door sealing Zuggtmoy into the chamber in the ToEE. She got a look at the handsome adventurer, noted his evil aura, and as a reward for freeing her carried him off to the Abyss as her body servant. I did no go into details there, but eventually Robilar convinced her of the imcompatability of a lawful evil servant in her realm, so she sent his back to the PMP.

Erac and Aylerach (I never can remember how Mark Ratner spelled that PC's name) accidentally loosed the demon from imprisonment in the dungeons of Greyhawk Castle. He was so delighted at having duped them into doing so that he took them with him when he went home. Again, I did not have detailed adventures there--as both players were hardly speaking to Rob and me after the game session. Eventually the incompatability of LKawful Good in the Abyss brought the demon prince to a decision point: slat the pair or boot them out. The dice roll called for the latter.

Cheers,
Gary

Gray Mouser

First Post
Hey, Gary, thanks for the additional info about your players "escapades" in the Abyss. If anything was learned I would assume it was not to be too helpful to demons (even unintentionally!) as their idea of a "reward" doesn't seem to be so great. Especially when dealing with the Demon Queen of Fungi, I suspect :lol:

Gray Mouser

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Gray Mouser said:
Hey, Gary, thanks for the additional info about your players "escapades" in the Abyss. If anything was learned I would assume it was not to be too helpful to demons (even unintentionally!) as their idea of a "reward" doesn't seem to be so great. Especially when dealing with the Demon Queen of Fungi, I suspect :lol:

Gray Mouser
:lol:

Just so!

Of course I had the demons laughing hideously as they carried off their respective victime to be their "cherished slaves."

I do believe that son Ernie has never forgiven me for the loss of his two Vorpal Swords, these turning touseless hunks of iron in the abyss. Also, Rob was rather upset when his main PC was likewise treated, Robilar's orc henchman Quij, made a poncho out of the Flying Carpet he was guarding due to the long wait and cold nights, and eventual seige of his castle as word got out that Robilar had freed the evil from the Temple of EE...

:uhoh:
Gary

:eek:
Gary

John Drake

First Post
Hi Gary!
One of my favourite modules you created (that I have run several times, with great success amongst my fellow gaming comrades) was the great Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun. What I was wondering was, what inspired the creation of such a nasty fellow as Tharizdun and such a awesome scenario? I loved all of the imagery created in that tale, particularly the Black Cyst area. Did you have control over the presentation of that module (cover, artwork, layout etc) ? I was quite fond of that too, finding it to be very evocative and quite well suited to the text. And, did you ever have any plans to do more with Tharizdun or was it just a one off affair (as it obviously turned out to be! :D ) Thanks Gary, much appreciated, as usual! :)

Gray Mouser

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:

Just so!

Of course I had the demons laughing hideously as they carried off their respective victime to be their "cherished slaves."

I'm surprised that the PC's didn't take some comfort in the fact that their new "masters" were so appreciative. Surely that must count for something!

I do believe that son Ernie has never forgiven me for the loss of his two Vorpal Swords, these turning touseless hunks of iron in the abyss. Also, Rob was rather upset when his main PC was likewise treated, Robilar's orc henchman Quij, made a poncho out of the Flying Carpet he was guarding due to the long wait and cold nights, and eventual seige of his castle as word got out that Robilar had freed the evil from the Temple of EE...

:uhoh:
Gary

:eek:
Gary

Sheesh, what a bunch of ingrates! First they complain about losing their magic items, then they have the audacity to want to leave the service of the Abyssal lords simply because of alignment differences. It seems as if good help is hard to find, these days. My heart goes out to Zugtmoy, Fraz-urb'lu, and the other Demon Princes. Where, I ask you, is the compasison for their hardship?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, though. I assume that there was at least a smattering of thanks given the fact that the PC's in question could've simply been slain out of hand :lol:

Gray Mouser

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Gray Mouser said:

Seriously, though. I assume that there was at least a smattering of thanks given the fact that the PC's in question could've simply been slain out of hand :lol:

Gray Mouser
No.

As usual the DM was reviled, went unappreciated. Without having the stories to relate, both of those excellent adventures would count for nothing :]

Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
John Drake said:
Hi Gary!
One of my favourite modules you created (that I have run several times, with great success amongst my fellow gaming comrades) was the great Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun. What I was wondering was, what inspired the creation of such a nasty fellow as Tharizdun and such a awesome scenario? I loved all of the imagery created in that tale, particularly the Black Cyst area. Did you have control over the presentation of that module (cover, artwork, layout etc) ? I was quite fond of that too, finding it to be very evocative and quite well suited to the text. And, did you ever have any plans to do more with Tharizdun or was it just a one off affair (as it obviously turned out to be! :D ) Thanks Gary, much appreciated, as usual! :)
Howdy John,

Actually the muse strick, so I devised the darkest evil entity I could envision, then devised the supposed tomb scenario to see how players would have their PCs react to it. Only a few felt the strangeness of the place, the sadness evoked by the loss of horrific evil. I did indeed control the art direction of that module.

Of course Tharizdun became the chief antagonist in the later Gord the Rogue books,threatened to conquer and tyrannize the universe...

Cheers,
Gary

John Drake

First Post
Wow, thanks for the speedy response! :D
Col_Pladoh said:
Howdy John,

Actually the muse strick, so I devised the darkest evil entity I could envision, then devised the supposed tomb scenario to see how players would have their PCs react to it. Only a few felt the strangeness of the place, the sadness evoked by the loss of horrific evil. I did indeed control the art direction of that module.
Well, you made some great design choices as the art and overall design was fantastic. I wish more modules had been done in such a style. And, I'm pleased to say, that eerie quality anbd sadness has always resonated with me quite strongly. One of the reasons I felt it played so well in fact.

Col_Playdoh said:
Of course Tharizdun became the chief antagonist in the later Gord the Rogue books,threatened to conquer and tyrannize the universe...

Cheers,
Gary
Ah, I was unaware of that, as I have not been fortunate enough to read those books, having instead read you very excellent "Role Playing Mastery" and sequel "Master of The Game", both thoroughly interesting reads. At any rate, thanks for devising such a fantastic scenario, which has indeed greatly affected all of my designs and ideas in pertaining to temples, tombs and ancient evil histories, and campaign style.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
John Drake said:
Ah, I was unaware of that, as I have not been fortunate enough to read those books, having instead read you very excellent "Role Playing Mastery" and sequel "Master of The Game", both thoroughly interesting reads. At any rate, thanks for devising such a fantastic scenario, which has indeed greatly affected all of my designs and ideas in pertaining to temples, tombs and ancient evil histories, and campaign style.
Jiust in case...

Troll Lord Games is in process of readying the seven books for reprint as hardbacks. I am not sure when the first will be released, but I think it will be in the late autumn of this year,

Cheers,
Gary

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Hey, Gary.

Have you read/seen Da Vinci Code? How much of pop culture do you follow? What books and movies do you like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases