TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

WyzardWhately

First Post
Seen over at RPG.net:

Someone posts a thread entitled "Burning Gygax."

It turns out to be about how to use your old A/D&D Modules in a game of The Burning Wheel (From what I can tell, this is actually a good idea and works very well.) One of the Mods expresses relief that the content of the post doesn't include the words 'in effigy.'

Someone else decides that 'Burning Gygax' will be his next PC's super move.

I laughed so hard it woke up the guest sleeping on my couch, and decided I should share.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
WyzardWhately said:

I laughed so hard it woke up the guest sleeping on my couch, and decided I should share.
Oh, I see...

I am now the butt of unseemly humor, eh?

I have seldom been so offended! :]

:lol: :cool: :lol:
Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh said:
As I have related elsewhere, my original setting for Greyhawk was basicaly the earth, and the City of Greyhawk was about where Chicago is, Dyvers on the shore northwards where Milwaukee stands. Of course as my campaign world was active, had many players, I did not wish to detail it, so I created Aerth, the continent of Oerick, and all that went with it for general use by other DMs. I found I liked it so well that I switched my group's play to the World of Greyhawk soon after I had finished the maps and manuscript.

Is Lake Geneva in there somewhere? Hommlett, mayhaps? :heh:

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Gary,

i'm curious. did James Jacobs and Erik Mona consult you for the Fiendish Codex I: Hordes of the Abyss? i'm asking you because they haven't said, yet. ;)

particularly i'm interested to know, because they are greatly expanding on the text of all the classic demon lords, even including a bit of the the "name only" lords from the MMII. :) (Obox-ob and Dagon are even getting full write-ups, and all the others will be given at least a few details.)

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
BOZ said:
Gary,

i'm curious. did James Jacobs and Erik Mona consult you for the Fiendish Codex I: Hordes of the Abyss? i'm asking you because they haven't said, yet. ;)

particularly i'm interested to know, because they are greatly expanding on the text of all the classic demon lords, even including a bit of the the "name only" lords from the MMII. :) (Obox-ob and Dagon are even getting full write-ups, and all the others will be given at least a few details.)
Well...

That's easy :D

No, I was not consulted.

Cheers,
Gary

jokamachi

Explorer
Col_Pladoh said:
:confused:

Which PC you plat depends on what you want to have your character do in the adventures, scout and fight mainly outdoors or skulk mainly indors and perform what it rakes to purloin valuables.

As for Chimes at Midnight, which I assume is a film, no. What genre is it?

Cheers,
Gary

Gary,

No worries. I was just hoping you'd tip the choice between rogue and ranger for me on a whim, ala magic eight ball, not that you're an eight ball or anything like that.

Chimes at Midnight is that Orson Wells film on Falstaff. It collects all of the scens in which the portly knight appeared and presents them together (in order I believe).

Best wishes,

jokamachi

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Col_Pladoh said:
According to experts,. most of the computer games of fnatasy and like sort borrow at least something from the A/D&D game.

That's is why I am mentioned as being so influential in computer gaming ;)

Cheers,
Gary

I know this is quoted from an older post, but I was doing a magazine article about the history of computer RPGs and almost every one of the old designers from the 70s and 80s were avid fans of DnD and readers of Tolkien, or so it has said on their websites or among the few you can get a hold of and speak.

The original games were named such things as pedit5, and were made in the mid-70s, but non-commercially and as hobbies. The first truly shared CRPG was Adventure, aka, the Colossal Cave, and was created by two hobbyists, one who liked DnD and Tolkien and the other who like caving. The map is actually based on a real-life cave. It was shared by members of the old DECUS network. You can still play this one on the fanpage. Some guys from MIT created Interplay and created Zork from this idea, and made some decent cash.

Another non-profit fan game was Rogue, and it came very closer to simulating pen and paper dynamics in a game, though it is not impressive to today's standards. You played a '@' symbol who would walk around killing 'r's (rates), 'w' (worms), etc... The descendants of Rogue are still being created by amateur programmers today.

The first MUD came around in 1980, was called MUD1 (later British Legends) and based itself on the Adventure/Zork model, but was on-line. A copy of this can also still be played on its own fanpage.

An 18 or 19-year old man named Richard Garriott created Akalabeth and Ultima I around 1980, based on pencil and paper DnD and his love of British lore, and in this fashion made enough money to go through college and start his own company, Origin.

Wizardry I also came out in 1981, and introduced the party concept into the CRPG, and was probably most like DnD. It sold very well and was a simple dungeon crawler, which appealed to those normally outside the fan base.

Since that made money, too, the rest was history. I played a number of the TSR DnD Dragonlance CRPG titles, but never really got into them. They never seemed to feel right. It wasn't until Black Isle created Baldur's Gate and Planescape: Torment that I found a pure DnD title that stood out from the CRPG competition. The creators of those had a love for the game and it really shone through with good gameplay and an unbelievably rich storyline.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
jokamachi said:
Gary,...

Chimes at Midnight is that Orson Wells film on Falstaff. It collects all of the scens in which the portly knight appeared and presents them together (in order I believe).

Best wishes,

jokamachi
Ciao!

I'd surely enioy seeing that compilation. I assume that it includes Falstaff and Sir John Oldcastle.

Cheers,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases