TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnRTroy

Adventurer
Hi Gary,

I thought of a question for you and figured it was so good enough to ask you publically. ;)

With the D&D cartoon show now playing on Toon Disney on the weekends, I was thinking of all of TSR's efforts in the early 80's to expand the D&D brand. I remember the LJN action figures, a coloring book (which I think was credited to you), and TSR's Endless Quest and HeartQuest books.

First of all, how many of these efforts were your idea, and overall did you see these as a big success or not? Is this something you would recommend any large gaming company attempt to do for their own brands? IMO, I liked the outreach to the younger audiences, and I think some of this is lacking in the Wizards/Hasbro market today.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
JohnRTroy said:
Hi Gary,

I thought of a question for you and figured it was so good enough to ask you publically. ;)

With the D&D cartoon show now playing on Toon Disney on the weekends, I was thinking of all of TSR's efforts in the early 80's to expand the D&D brand. I remember the LJN action figures, a coloring book (which I think was credited to you), and TSR's Endless Quest and HeartQuest books.

First of all, how many of these efforts were your idea, and overall did you see these as a big success or not? Is this something you would recommend any large gaming company attempt to do for their own brands? IMO, I liked the outreach to the younger audiences, and I think some of this is lacking in the Wizards/Hasbro market today.
Hi JRT!

To be brief, all of those, along with pajamas, sheets, candy, etc. were licensing deals made to bring in added revenue even as the products so licensed helped to increase brand awareness. Licensing is something practised by most companies with a viable trade mark/brand name to offer. Film producers license many books and some theatrical plays to use a sthe basis for motion pictures. Roleplaying game companies license novels for use in their products.

None of this is something I thought of, but something that has been ongoing for many years.

Wise use of licensing opportunities is beneficial. One must be careful not to over-expose the licensed property.

Cheers,
Gary

JohnRTroy

Adventurer
Heh, I kinda knew that. :p

There was a D&D Candy Bar?! :confused:

To make it an easy/quick answer, from the time you were involved in TSR (until 1986 or so), what non-game licensed product from D&D are you most proud of, and what product are you least proud of?

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
JohnRTroy said:
Heh, I kinda knew that. :p
So you asked the question to test me., eh? :] :mad:

There was a D&D Candy Bar?! :confused:
There was candy with the D&D name on it made in Spain. I don't recall what sort it was, but I think it was something similar to Gummi Bears.

To make it an easy/quick answer, from the time you were involved in TSR (until 1986 or so), what non-game licensed product from D&D are you most proud of, and what product are you least proud of?
As there is nothing in to be particularly proud about, save by association, that is a difficult question. About the best I can respond is that I liked the "Big Wheel" with a dragon had on it, as did son ALex :lol: The bndy toys that TSR had made were dangerous for kids because of the interior wire. Otherwise the only gauge for measurement of a licensed product is its sales success, possibly the number of new consumers for the underlying game generated by that success.

Cheers,
Gary

Delta

First Post
Historical Era of AD&D

Gary, I'm wondering what real-life era you think most closely corresponds to the AD&D worldview (esp., technology-wise).

For example, in the 1E DMG you mention that full plate armor is "a late development and is not considered (c. 1500)", although you did include it in Unearthed Arcana.

In the Waterborne Adventures section, you wrote that "Cogs, carracks, and caravels of the 13th and 14th centuries are considered to be excellent merchant ships". However, my reading of history is that carracks & caravels weren't invented until the mid-1400's, i.e., the 15th century.

I guess I'm most interested in the ships aspect. In your AD&D campaign, were carracks, caravels & naos (a) the majority of sailing ships (as in 1500's), (b) an elite minority (as in 1400's), or (c) only an exotic hypothetical prospect (as in 1300's or earlier)?

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Delta said:
Gary, I'm wondering what real-life era you think most closely corresponds to the AD&D worldview (esp., technology-wise).

For example, in the 1E DMG you mention that full plate armor is "a late development and is not considered (c. 1500)", although you did include it in Unearthed Arcana.

In the Waterborne Adventures section, you wrote that "Cogs, carracks, and caravels of the 13th and 14th centuries are considered to be excellent merchant ships". However, my reading of history is that carracks & caravels weren't invented until the mid-1400's, i.e., the 15th century.

I guess I'm most interested in the ships aspect. In your AD&D campaign, were carracks, caravels & naos (a) the majority of sailing ships (as in 1500's), (b) an elite minority (as in 1400's), or (c) only an exotic hypothetical prospect (as in 1300's or earlier)?
The short answer to all that is: You are the DM, suit technology in the campaign to what you plan to do therein.

Full plate armor was a development of the 15th century, and when I was writing the pieces that comprised the bulk of the UA book my concept of developing technology in a fantasy milieu had altered. It then seemed illogical to to me to have the level of advancement stuck in the early middle ages. Thus I had fragatas and sambuks and prahus and galleasses and galleons on the seas as well as junks, cogs, caravels, and carracks.

Cheers,
Gary

Last edited:

Palaner

First Post
I was at work yesterday, bored as a two-by-four. It occurred to me that a simple plot generator might help with new DMs who don't have a clue what they're doing. Given a table of highly generic plot elements, do you think this would be useful?

BTW, check your email. ;)

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Palaner said:
I was at work yesterday, bored as a two-by-four. It occurred to me that a simple plot generator might help with new DMs who don't have a clue what they're doing. Given a table of highly generic plot elements, do you think this would be useful?

BTW, check your email. ;)
There is a volume titled Insidae, by Dan Cross, in the "Gygaxian Fantasy Worlds" reference book series that covers plotting stories and adventures in depth.

I go through about 150 incoming email messages each day, deleting the vast majority as they are SPAM :mad:

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Steverooo said:
So with the 1400s-or-so tech., why no compasses in D&D?
What is an Arrow of Direction if not a compass?

With so many armored folks about a normal one is likely to function properly only on a ship ;)

As the DM of your campaign world setting you can put as many in as you like, of course.

Cheers,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases