TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Palaner

First Post
Only 150 spam messages? I must have more than that in my Gmail account every day. ;) There's an idea for an adventure...have the PCs encounter a whole bucketload of NPCs, each of which offer an adventure in exchange for some large portion of XP or gold.

Gray Mouser

First Post
Hey Gary, here's a question for you :)

We know that Mordenkainen was Bigby's mentor; under who did Mordenkainen fulfill his wizardly apprenticeship?

Gray Mouser

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Here is a "just because I am wondering" question. How did the term "Dungeon Master" originate? Also, nowadays, there are many terms for the person who "runs" a roleplaying game (storyteller, game master, referee, judge, etc.). Of course it really makes no difference what one is called, but have you ever used variations of the term? I usually use DM when I am running D&D and "Game Master" when I am running other RPGs, and I am not sure why I developed the habit.

Col_Pladoh said:
What is an Arrow of Direction if not a compass?

In my campaign, I gave one of the characters +2 long sword that always tells true North; it's either Viking or Canadian in origin, obviously. :p

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
airwalkrr said:
Here is a "just because I am wondering" question. How did the term "Dungeon Master" originate? Also, nowadays, there are many terms for the person who "runs" a roleplaying game (storyteller, game master, referee, judge, etc.). Of course it really makes no difference what one is called, but have you ever used variations of the term? I usually use DM when I am running D&D and "Game Master" when I am running other RPGs, and I am not sure why I developed the habit.
Howdy!

Just back at the computer after having a great time at the Lake GenevaGaming Convention :D

To the best of my knowledge the term "Dungeon Master" was coined by some unknown D&D game fan and used first in a fanzine. It cought on immediately. "Game MAster" was coined soon thereafter by those that did not want their RPG to be confused with D&D.

So of course the little Lejendary Adventure FRPG has "Lejend Masters"... :lol:

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
haakon1 said:
In my campaign, I gave one of the characters +2 long sword that always tells true North; it's either Viking or Canadian in origin, obviously. :p
Pish!

It is most certainly Chinese :p

:lol:
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads