TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

John Drake

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
Howdy!

Just back at the computer after having a great time at the Lake GenevaGaming Convention :D
Hey, good to have you back! :D How did the LGGC go overall, anyway? From what I hear, Frank Mentzer's quite the terror around the board game circuit, how'd people fare against him? Or against you for that matter? :)

Gray Mouser

First Post
Hey Gary, I think you missed my question so I thought I'd repost it :)

Hope you had a good time at the LGGC, too.

Gray Mouser said:
Hey Gary, here's a question for you :)

We know that Mordenkainen was Bigby's mentor; under who did Mordenkainen fulfill his wizardly apprenticeship?

Gray Mouser

Gray Mouser

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
John Drake said:
Hey, good to have you back! :D How did the LGGC go overall, anyway? From what I hear, Frank Mentzer's quite the terror around the board game circuit, how'd people fare against him? Or against you for that matter? :)
I'll not be posting lengthy replies for a time--too frazzled. Our gamer company left today but tomorrow my daughter and grandson return from a trip up north.

The LGGC was great, a small intimate event just as was last year's. I don't know how anyone else's games went, as I wasn't at the Cove long on any day...although I did play a Chainmail minis game for about an hour and a half, thanks Paul Stormberg, with Rob Kuntz, Bill Hoyer and John bobek on the side of Evil in the Hommlet moat house, and Jeff Perren, son Ernie, and me the Good guys. Great fun even if I got some of my troops ambushed by an enraged treant. When I bailed to have a presentation made by Frank Mentzer, Jim Lurvey took over for me.

I ran three sessions of the LA game on my front porch, eight players per. All had fun and I couldn't manage a single horrible death for one of the Avatars :]

Joseph Elric Smith plans to do a con report, and if he doesn't post it on the boards I will.

:lol:
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Gray Mouser said:
Hey Gary, I think you missed my question so I thought I'd repost it :)

Hope you had a good time at the LGGC, too.

Gray Mouser

T'was a really fun time--about 30 here for the Thursday night porch party, and folks dropping by every night after through Sunday. Last year about four bottles from a single case of beer were drunk. This year I think we went through four cases :eek:

My British friend and co-author Jon Creffield just left for the airport this afternoon. Wished he could have stayed longer to game more. All we had tome to play was Rail Baron and cribbage :\

Anyway, I did miss that question. Sorry!

The background I created for Mordenkainen was Finnish-like in nature, and his master was a chap called Old Waino...

:cool:
Gary

John Drake

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
I'll not be posting lengthy replies for a time--too frazzled. Our gamer company left today but tomorrow my daughter and grandson return from a trip up north.

The LGGC was great, a small intimate event just as was last year's. I don't know how anyone else's games went, as I wasn't at the Cove long on any day...although I did play a Chainmail minis game for about an hour and a half, thanks Paul Stormberg, with Rob Kuntz, Bill Hoyer and John bobek on the side of Evil in the Hommlet moat house, and Jeff Perren, son Ernie, and me the Good guys. Great fun even if I got some of my troops ambushed by an enraged treant. When I bailed to have a presentation made by Frank Mentzer, Jim Lurvey took over for me.

I ran three sessions of the LA game on my front porch, eight players per. All had fun and I couldn't manage a single horrible death for one of the Avatars :]

Joseph Elric Smith plans to do a con report, and if he doesn't post it on the boards I will.

Gary
That's awesome Gary! Hey, whatever works for you works for me (and everyone else here, I imagine! :)) Thanks ! :D

Gray Mouser

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
The background I created for Mordenkainen was Finnish-like in nature, and his master was a chap called Old Waino...

:cool:
Gary

Heh, thanks for the info, Colonel. Did Old Waino ever see any play as an NPC? Also, did you pick the name because of the Finnish sculpter named Waino? (I had never heard of it before this, myself.)

Gray Mouser

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Gray Mouser said:
Heh, thanks for the info, Colonel. Did Old Waino ever see any play as an NPC? Also, did you pick the name because of the Finnish sculpter named Waino? (I had never heard of it before this, myself.)

Gray Mouser

No to both. I picked the name because one Vainomoinen was sometimes referred to as "Old Waino." I really was captivated with Finnish myth after seeing a B&W movie done by the Russians, I think, about him, Leminkainen, and Ilmarinen adventuring to Pojola and entering Louhi's fortress, then reading "The Green Magician" by de Camp and Pratt as well as the Kalevala.

Cheers,
Gary

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Here's another Mordy question for ya Gary. Nowadays he is widely considered the greatest mage in the Flanaess. Did you ever envision Mordenkainen becoming such an important figure? Or did you just see him as your PC and only as great as you made him? Were there any characters that Mordenkainen aspired to be like?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases