TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
jonesy said:
I was thinking of the instance where Väinämöinen sings Joukahainen into a swamp. His singing is so powerful that the lakes spill over, mountains start shaking, hills split apart, and that's only the beginning.

In the same part his honorific becomes 'laulaja iän-ikuinen' (singer everlasting), instead of tietäjä.
Heh,

Okay, he sings his enchantments, musical chanting as it were, as he used when he sent the "callow youth of Lapland into and under the ground."

Cheers,
Gary

MutieMoe

Explorer
Thanks for answers mister Gygax. :D

What a wonderful era of internet technology, I cant believe I'm involved discussion about D&D, Greyhawk and Kalevala with Gary Gygax himself answering questions and as one participants of the discussion. Cool.

First (and last) finnish language D&D rules (later editions came to the country in english language) were the boxed sets (Red Box, Blue Box etc..), I was wondering about the rules for characters ascending to immortals, as they were offering quite dramatic shift from style of play introduced on earlier sets, I am asking were they part of original vision for D&D or were they later additions by different authors?

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
MutieMoe said:
Thanks for answers mister Gygax. :D

What a wonderful era of internet technology, I cant believe I'm involved discussion about D&D, Greyhawk and Kalevala with Gary Gygax himself answering questions and as one participants of the discussion. Cool.

First (and last) finnish language D&D rules (later editions came to the country in english language) were the boxed sets (Red Box, Blue Box etc..), I was wondering about the rules for characters ascending to immortals, as they were offering quite dramatic shift from style of play introduced on earlier sets, I am asking were they part of original vision for D&D or were they later additions by different authors?
Agreed!

This is a splendid form of communication between distant parties.

The Immortals addition to the D&D game was done by Frank Mentzer with my approval. I thought it brought an interesting new prospect to the game for those participants desiring high-level PC play.

cheers,
Gary

John Drake

First Post
Yeah, it is pretty awesome being able to converse with the fellow who created my favourite hobby! Thanks for that , btw :)
Hey Gary, just curious about a couple of things: do you ever play OD&D (74 editon) these days at all, and if you do, do you use the all the supplements or just the original box?
And, forgive me for asking this question, as I'll bet it was asked previously, but why was the Bard class in AD&D presented in the appendix of the PHB as opposed to being presented with the rest of the classes? Too powerful perhaps?
That about does it for now, Gary. Thanks for your time, as always, greatly appreciated! :D

Last edited:

Valdur

First Post
Gary,
What are some of your all time favorite D&D adventure modules?

What did you think about the Star Frontiers RPG back when it was released? Looking back, has your opinion changed any now that you favor 'rules lite' games? How successful was it in the marketplace compared to other non-D&D RPGs?

airwalkrr

Adventurer
A neverending stream of questions this thread be, arg! (that's pirate-talk for those of sufficient sophistication to miss my silly reference) Anyway, since immortals and deities have been brought up, I am interested to know your take, Gary, on how mortals should interact with immortals. In the original incarnation of the game, did you and your group think mortals should ever be capable of rising to the power of immortals/gods or being capable of surviving against them on the field of battle should such an event take place? At least with some of the deities in legends and lore and deities and demigods, it seems like a well-built party of 20th level characters could hold their own against a deity, at least for a little while (as long the DM was competent of course).

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
John Drake said:
Yeah, it is pretty awesome being able to converse with the fellow who created my favourite hobby! Thanks for that , btw :)
Welcome of course.

Hey Gary, just curious about a couple of things: do you ever play OD&D (74 editon) these days at all, and if you do, do you use the all the supplements or just the original box?
Yes, only the three booklets and with house rules adjusting HPs and the effects of high, 15 or better, attributes of Str, Int, Wis, Dex, and Con. Each is given a +1 benefit to stats or spells.

And, forgive me for asking this question, as I'll bet it was asked previously, but why was the Bard class in AD&D presented in the appendix of the PHB as opposed to being presented with the rest of the classes? Too powerful perhaps?
That about does it for now, Gary. Thanks for your time, as always, greatly appreciated! :D
It was left in an appendix because it was optional and I felt it didn't fit the AD&D system and mechanics as well as it might with more work. It is a potent class, but cimbersome.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Valdur said:
Gary,
What are some of your all time favorite D&D adventure modules?

What did you think about the Star Frontiers RPG back when it was released? Looking back, has your opinion changed any now that you favor 'rules lite' games? How successful was it in the marketplace compared to other non-D&D RPGs?
:lol:

those that I wrote, of course, or else I would have had no business having them publ;ished. As I was always very busy GMing or creating I scarsely had time to play in other authors' scenarios. I did espacially enjoy the Slave Pits', the adventure that Rob wrote up as Mordenkainen's Fantastic' and The Abduction of Good King Despot.

I play tested and enjoyed the Star Frontiers RPG. I didn't find that it was particularly rules heavy, although it was not properly supported. It was not promoted well either, so the game was one that was a wash in regards profit and loss, thus it was dropped.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
airwalkrr said:
A neverending stream of questions this thread be, arg! (that's pirate-talk for those of sufficient sophistication to miss my silly reference) Anyway, since immortals and deities have been brought up, I am interested to know your take, Gary, on how mortals should interact with immortals. In the original incarnation of the game, did you and your group think mortals should ever be capable of rising to the power of immortals/gods or being capable of surviving against them on the field of battle should such an event take place? At least with some of the deities in legends and lore and deities and demigods, it seems like a well-built party of 20th level characters could hold their own against a deity, at least for a little while (as long the DM was competent of course).
:confused:

Hey, I get paid for consulting work :lol:

The boxed D&D game was Frank's baby, AD&D my purview.

As for mortals in conflict with true deities, I'd say they have the same chance a fly has against a fly swatter :eek:

Cheers,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads