TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Rel

Liquid Awesome
RSKennan said:
What if someone were willing to fund the trip (I don't have the cash) in exchange for filming it as a documentary. When I was reading the above post, I couldn't help but think what a great documentary it would make! It would be great, the whole family could go... I'm just daydreaming here.

I've gotta say that I think this is a fantastic idea. Seriously. I would love to watch such a documentary and it could actually be a great way to promote our hobby.

I wonder if anybody here at the boards has any such connections? I'm tempted to start a new thread to find out. But I'll wait for a bit more confirmation from you, Gary, before I do anything like that.

It is really just a pipe dream at the moment, but I really do think it could be a valid idea in some form or fashion.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
A couple of caveats:

There have been a lot of dicumentary productions done in the past couple of years, and there's not likely much chance of actually getting another aired so as to recoup expense, let alone make any return.

Second, any gaming done for such a production will have to be scripted, the players selected for their appearance and acting ability. Not much of a game coming from that....

Cheerio,
Gary

Clangador

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:

That's a horse of a different color, and sure. Such an arrangement could work. I have actually spend a three-day weekend DMins (OAD&D) for a group that flew me out and put me up at a motel with a suite where we played. It took me about two weeks to set up the adventure, and I lucked out. They finished it on Sunday night around eight o'clock :eek:

Cheers,
Gary

That is sweet. You should start a business doing that. :D So, were these guys big fans of yours or what?

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Clangador said:

That is sweet. You should start a business doing that. :D So, were these guys big fans of yours or what?

That would be a really demanding sort of business, amigo. I could make maybe one or two sessions a month. Figuring 1.5, that would gross something like $4,500 a month, a good enough income for fun work, but difficult to maintain the creative demands.

The group that had me out to DM for them were indeed big fans, all with successful careers, and they spread the cost over eight persons, as I recall the group size. Thus they satisfied a dream they had held from the late 1970s, and we all had a great time in the process ;) Don't think I could manage doing that on a regular basis, though.

Cheerio,
Gary

RSKennan

Explorer
If not a documentary, would you play yourself in a low budget movie? The scenario with the eight friends sounds like the makings of a good movie. It would of course,be about more than D&D, like that movie they made a few years back about the Star Trek fans who befriended William Shatner. Please Gary, let me know if this line of discussion is annoying you, I don't want to do that.

Last edited:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
RSKennan said:
If not a documentary, would you play yourself in a low budget movie? The scenario with the eight friends sounds like the makings of a good movie. It would of course,be about more than D&D, like that movie they made a few years back about the Star Trek fans who befriended William Shatner. Please Gary, let me know if this line of discussion is annoying you, I don't want to do that.

Can't say about participating in any such production without knowing details, seeing a script ;) I an not exactly taken by the idea od playing myself, I confess.

Cheers,
Gary

ranix65

First Post
Actually, that's very funny somebody should ask about a low-budget movie, I'm writing one, called Lord of the Haze, basically a retelling of the LoTR Trilogy, but set in New Jersey, and if it ever gets picked up, I wanted to try to get Gary Gygax to cameo as a Dwarf Lord(alongside Kevin Smith and either my tatoo artist Turin or my friend Christina).

How about it Gary, if I ever get it made, wanna play a dwarf lord?

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Gary!

What did you intend the main religion of Veluna to be? Rao or Cuthbert. I always thought it was Cuthbert, but in the new books it's listed as Rao. I've been running it as a bastion of the faithfull of Cuthbert myself.

I was reading a chat transcript you did a while back. You were discussing Tsojcanth and how he imprisoned the Avatar of Tharizdun years back. You said that he was a mage of great power, of which one is only born every few hundred years. Is that how Mordenkainen would be described. And epic mage of the sort that in only seen once in a lifetime?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases