TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Col_Pladoh said:
:confused:

I prefer something more akin to a mix of Lovecraft and Merritt when presenting such darl things, not hokey science or slapstick ala Wild, Wild West :eek:

Cheers,
Gary

Not that I disagree, but the reference to the spider ship was my favorite thing in "Wild Wild West", not that the competition was too fierce, even though I do have a liking for silliness (not so much in the games I run these days) and even Western silliness (I liked "Brisco County Junior" a lot).

Saying the spider ship was the best thing in "Wild Wild West" reminds me of Simpson's bit. Homer is interviewing a cult "deprogramer":

Deprogrammer: I'm the one who got Paul McCartney out of Wings.
Homer: But he was the best one!

Gentlegamer

Adventurer
Col_Pladoh said:
That sort of campaign is hogwash in terms of the FRPG, proper for a comic book superhero system where the characters can become tremendously powerful and need such opponents to make the game even vaguely interesting. In short, I think the concept is childish and not worth pursuing by mature gamers.
Forgive me for back-tracking the thread a bit . . .

On this thought, what of campaigns deliberately designed for high-level play, such as that of Francois Marcela-Froideval?

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Howdy!

I taught my younger children to cheer when that closing cretit ran on screen :lol:

that the spinoff version of the show never went into production is a sad thing, bacause iw was better, more mature, then the initial series.

Cheers,
Gary

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Col_Pladoh said:
Howdy!

I taught my younger children to cheer when that closing cretit ran on screen :lol:

that the spinoff version of the show never went into production is a sad thing, bacause iw was better, more mature, then the initial series.

Cheers,
Gary

Last night as me and my brother were watching an episode of that old 'toon on cable we started talking about how there has never been another D&D cartoon. Seeing how Drizzt novels sell very well, and sell a lot to non players, why isn't there a FR cartoon starring Drizzt? I don't like either, but I know if it was well animated and decently written I'd be all over it. Not a "Saturday morning" style cartoon, but a more mature show on Cartoon Network or something like that. Seems like it would be a good marketing push for the game, unless Hasbro think any possible gains are not going to be worth it in light of the expense.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Flexor the Mighty! said:
Last night as me and my brother were watching an episode of that old 'toon on cable we started talking about how there has never been another D&D cartoon. Seeing how Drizzt novels sell very well, and sell a lot to non players, why isn't there a FR cartoon starring Drizzt? I don't like either, but I know if it was well animated and decently written I'd be all over it. Not a "Saturday morning" style cartoon, but a more mature show on Cartoon Network or something like that. Seems like it would be a good marketing push for the game, unless Hasbro think any possible gains are not going to be worth it in light of the expense.
That's a poser!

Perhaps Hasbro isn't interested in such a cartoon series, or perhaps they can't find a production entity that is, because of costs and the difficulty of finding a channel to air the series that would be willing to pay the freight.

What with computer-generated animation, I should think it wouldn't be all that expensive to produce each episode of a new show based on the D&D game. Because of the computer versions of the game, the potential audience is surely large eough.

cheers,
Gary

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
haakon1 said:
I'm having fun with a rakshasa whose plotting includes creating a servitor race and taking over villages . . . the PC's are about to run him out of town, but he's too tough for them to kill, since they don't know what he is. Immortal shapechanger with magical powers = cool Boss Monster.

Very nice

Montague68

First Post
Gary, first of all many thanks for creating a game that's given me and my friends endless hours of enjoyment over the last 20 some-odd years.

In talking with many of my fellow gamers most of us seemed to have experienced sometime in our early gaming career the "Wonder moment." A time when we were first introduced to D&D or another RPG and after being confused by the pile of numbers, stats, and dice had a singular moment where your imagination "clicked on" and you were seeing the game in your head and you were hooked forever. Did you ever have a "wonder moment" and when did it occur?

MutieMoe

Explorer
Thanks for answering the previous questions!

Why the dungeons? Where did that idea come from? Why dungeon is the archtypical fantasy roleplaying adventures enviroment?

Steverooo

First Post
'Bout time for a new thread, Henry?

Page 10. Or are we gonna let this thread run on forever, like the last one? About time to archive this one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases