TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Treebore said:
I definitely hate the attitude that it is the DM's job to keep the PC's alive. I agree that I should leave them the ability to run, but I think everything else is up to them.
That is indeed the spirit in which the game was devised, so in that regard you are spot on as our English fellows say.

Then again, I love Tomb of Horrors, Lost Caverns of Tsojanth, and all the other "killer" dungeons. I like bragging rights. Whether it is for having survived or died in the most gruesome and/or original manner. Or for having died 8 times, and every time being from failing to save versus the death/20 poison. 8 consecutive failed saves against the same type of poison. Thankfully the DM decided my obvious allergy towards it had become severe enough that I would break out in hives and have a sneezing fit just from coming within 5 feet of it. Decanter of Endless Water became my great "wash the poison away" friend. :)
Again, I agree with what you stete in regards to the merits of difficult dungeons. Even if one loses one's PC therein, the enjoyment of relating the circumstances of that demise to a group of gamers that had similar experiences is well worth the loss IMO. I managed to get Yrag and several of his cohorts through a dungeon similar to Tsojcanth, one that Rob Kuntz created and DMed. I foolishly had the party seek out an orange area of the map I glimpsed, and the lot were nearly incinerated when I finally managed to stumble upon the sole means of ingress to the chamber. I quit that sort of fudging after that :uhoh:

Those that claim using various means of discovering deadly areas, flunkies, animals, even a 10' pole, is not "thinking" are certainly not themselves rational. It requires planning and thought to do that...

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
MutieMoe said:
Where the idea of alignments came from? I find this particulary interesting as it is one the game mechanics that directly describes personality of the character in question. When and why the need for alignments came in to play?
In OD&D I used the Moorcock division of Law and Chaos to serve to describe the general motives of the persons and creatures involved in the game, the Good and Evil. It soom bacame evident to me that those descriptors were not synonyms, thet all that was lawful was not good, all that was chaotic was not evil, and animals were generally not concerned with any of those ethical mindsets.

So when I began writing the OAD&D game rules in 1976 I decided on the nine alignment system. The why is as noted above, and the wherefor was to enable the DM to roleplay the "monsters" encoutered by the player party and judge the players' manner of enacting the role of their separate PCs; for the players to more easily determine the nature of and properly play their character. Thus the rather lengthy descriptions of each alignment.

Cheers,
Gary

Cheers,
Gary

Last edited:

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Col_Pladoh said:
Hydra snails are the specialty of Mordenkainen, many attacks in one, as it were.

ooh, hydra flail snails would be wicked nasty! that's a few dozen clubbing attacks per round isn't it? ;)

rgard

Adventurer
Col_Pladoh said:
Just so :uhoh:

Most of the players in my campaign, all of my own PCs, were never too proud to take to their heels when the opposition was clearly overwhelming. In fact, a good bit of thrilling adventure went into some of the ensuing chases. When Mordenkainen and bigby met their fate at the hands of Rob's super iron golem, it was bacause they hadn't the means to escape quickly, not that they didn't wish to beat feet :lol:

As a DM I made lemonade out of the "lemons" of the new players' reluctance to flee, to stand and die before a foe that was trashing them. That is how the Old Guard Kobolds came into being, and they have grown in both individual ability, numbers, and organizarion so they now pose a meaningful threat to PC parties of 4th or 5th level. Sadly, a group of such PC that were veterans took ost of them out, but iw was a casual play session, so I won't count it against the little humanoids :p

Cheers,
Gary

Hi Gary!

First time I've posted in one of your threads. Like so many others, I thank you for creating a game that I've loved for years now. Love it so much that I opened my own game store. I have the blue book (from the boxed set I picked up in the late 70s) proudly displayed in the store. Again, thanks!

Back to post. We never had a problem fleeing when the odds were against us as PCs. We just quoted Monty Python and yelled "Run away, run away." And as we ran away somebody (who was fleeing) would yell, "let me face the peril!" But his character would continue to flee anyway.

Thanks,
Rich

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
BOZ said:
ooh, hydra flail snails would be wicked nasty! that's a few dozen clubbing attacks per round isn't it? ;)
:D

Depends on the hydra, typically five, seven, or nine heads. Of course the most desirable sort to polymorph is that with the most heads!

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
rgard said:
Hi Gary!

First time I've posted in one of your threads. Like so many others, I thank you for creating a game that I've loved for years now. Love it so much that I opened my own game store. I have the blue book (from the boxed set I picked up in the late 70s) proudly displayed in the store. Again, thanks!

Back to post. We never had a problem fleeing when the odds were against us as PCs. We just quoted Monty Python and yelled "Run away, run away." And as we ran away somebody (who was fleeing) would yell, "let me face the peril!" But his character would continue to flee anyway.

Thanks,
Rich
Hi Rich,

Welcome, and it is a good choice you made, for running a shop is a more likely means of earning a gaming livelihood than is creating games and support material... Where exactly is your shop located?

Your reference to Monty Python in regards fleeing does strike a chord, for my players would do the same, or else sing verses from "Brave Sir Robin." When I am having my own PC flee in unseemly haste I usually quote Falstaff's lines in Shakespeare's plays: "He who runs away lives to fight another day," or. "discretion is the better part of valor."

Cheers,
Gary

rgard

Adventurer
Col_Pladoh said:
Hi Rich,

Welcome, and it is a good choice you made, for running a shop is a more likely means of earning a gaming livelihood than is creating games and support material... Where exactly is your shop located?

Your reference to Monty Python in regards fleeing does strike a chord, for my players would do the same, or else sing verses from "Brave Sir Robin." When I am having my own PC flee in unseemly haste I usually quote Falstaff's lines in Shakespeare's plays: "He who runs away lives to fight another day," or. "discretion is the better part of valor."

Cheers,
Gary

Hi Gary,

The shop is in Sarver, PA. Just north of Pittsburgh (center of the universe...just ask anybody from here.) :)

The jury is still out on the livelihood aspect of this, but Christmas is less damaging to the wallet given I have 3 sons (ages 8, 11, 13) to whom I've introduced to RPGs and miniatures gaming.

Also, 6 gamers (D&D players) are in the store now and all say 'hi and thanks' too!

Thanks again,
Rich

Treebore said:
Lost Caverns of Tsojanth, and all the other "killer" dungeons.

Tsojcanth was a "killer"? I thought I was just being a scaredy pants about it. Still we made it through alive, after some Resurrections. :lol:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
rgard said:
Hi Gary,

The shop is in Sarver, PA. Just north of Pittsburgh (center of the universe...just ask anybody from here.) :)

The jury is still out on the livelihood aspect of this, but Christmas is less damaging to the wallet given I have 3 sons (ages 8, 11, 13) to whom I've introduced to RPGs and miniatures gaming.

Also, 6 gamers (D&D players) are in the store now and all say 'hi and thanks' too!

Thanks again,
Rich
Okay!

All gamers in the vicinity of Sarver, PA, you know where to shop :cool:

Your sons are all of perfect age for gaming in ganeral and RPGs in particular. Just keep them as far as possible from the computrer... :lol:

And give my regards to the regulars at your place. sure wish Lake Geneva had a game shop again.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
haakon1 said:
Tsojcanth was a "killer"? I thought I was just being a scaredy pants about it. Still we made it through alive, after some Resurrections. :lol:
That's not a bad thing!

Mordie and company hoarded wish items for just such occasions, used them frequently :eek:

Cheers,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases