TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Nathan P. Mahney said:
Hey Gary,

Your history lesson up above there has brought something to mind. I remember you once writing that Dave Arneson complained about the Dungeons & Dragons rules being 'not right', or something to that effect. Can you remember what it was about the game that he was dissatisfied with?

- Nathan P. Mahney -
Hi Nathan,

Sorry, but I can not recall exactly with what Dave was dissatisfied. It might have been virtually any aspect of the game. If you can give me anything in the way of memory refreshment, I'll be happy to try to recollect the nature of this.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
John Drake said:
Didn't really have a question, just wanted to throw some thanks out there to airwalker for his superb question(s), for he phrased them far more eloquently than I ever could. And of course, a big thanks to Gary for the awesome answer! Wow, it explained so much that I always wanted to know! Thank you, gentlemen! :D
Blast that devil Airwalker :]

His rotten query made me spend an inordinate amlunt of time recalling ancient history and recording it here :mad: ...with a copy to my files for biographical purposes ;)

That aside, you are most welcome!

:lol:
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Treebore said:
Gary,

I hate sounding like a sycophant, but I do have to thank you very much for giving me the best game and hobby, ever. Now one, that I in turn, get to share with my 14, 13, and 10 year old kids; and give them memories of not only great adventures, but a great time playing with their mom and dad. It is a priceless gift you have given me, my wife, and those like us. Thanks for making it happen.

Robert
Howdy Robert,

Not to worry, as I most certainly do not consider such statements inordinantly servile not as attempts to curry favor (as if I could grant such thing :lol: ). I am efflusive with my praise for persons and things that I admire and enjoy.

It is heartening to learn that you are sharing the gaming fun with your children. I did that myself, and it was so great a time, something I shall remember and they too.

Ciao,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Haakon1,

Well said in my estimation. As a GM that finds much enjoyment of giving PCs vast sums of wealth, then extorting it from them in some menner, or having it stolen and thus provide the basis for an adventure, the wealth of PCs depends more on the campaign than on their level.

Cheers,
Gary

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Hi Gary. I just wanted to let you know how much I am enjoying two of your books I just bought. The Yggsburgh book for CZ, and Living Fantasy. Both are excellent and I'm finding the stuff in the Living Fantasy book great for putting a more medieval feel in my games. Nice work!

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Flexor the Mighty! said:
Hi Gary. I just wanted to let you know how much I am enjoying two of your books I just bought. The Yggsburgh book for CZ, and Living Fantasy. Both are excellent and I'm finding the stuff in the Living Fantasy book great for putting a more medieval feel in my games. Nice work!
Well done!

The check is in the mail, and I'll direct the Trolls to your post :lol:

Seriously, when the 19 Yggsburgh Town modules, plus the five for the town's suburbs are completed, I do believe it will be the most detailed urban setting around, the maps showing each building, numbered for encounter information, and lots of adventures and adventure hooks in each one. I hope that the Trolls can put the maps together to create a big poster-sized one of the town and its surroundings :D

As for the Living Fantasy book, I really enjoyed the extensive researching necessary for it, putting the information together with creative fantasy elements. I was thinking about adding more daily routine examplesm plus some menus--LC, MC, and UC banquet, but the ms. was pretty large as it was, so I dropped the idea.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh said:
Seriously, when the 19 Yggsburgh Town modules, plus the five for the town's suburbs are completed, I do believe it will be the most detailed urban setting around, the maps showing each building, numbered for encounter information, and lots of adventures and adventure hooks in each one. I hope that the Trolls can put the maps together to create a big poster-sized one of the town and its surroundings :D

Woo-hoo! Many of us will need to alert our FLGS to this stuff when it's coming out, as folks aren't as aware of non-D20 stuff, it seems. I like my FLGS' strategy of special ordering for me, but getting 2 copies . . . usually, the second one goes relatively soon. :)

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
haakon1 said:
Woo-hoo! Many of us will need to alert our FLGS to this stuff when it's coming out, as folks aren't as aware of non-D20 stuff, it seems. I like my FLGS' strategy of special ordering for me, but getting 2 copies . . . usually, the second one goes relatively soon. :)
I do believe that the Trolls will be releasing the modules in pdf format before hardcopies are printed. There are at least four of the 19 town ones developmentally edited and turned over to TLG for their processing now, with about four or five more in process of being likewise edited.

Cheers,
Gary

BluSponge

Explorer
Col_Pladoh said:
As for the Living Fantasy book, I really enjoyed the extensive researching necessary for it, putting the information together with creative fantasy elements. I was thinking about adding more daily routine examplesm plus some menus--LC, MC, and UC banquet, but the ms. was pretty large as it was, so I dropped the idea.

Just out of curiosity, Gary, (and seeing as you enjoyed developing LF) have you considered doing expansions for it covering Eastern and Middle Eastern cultures? I know LF touches on this lightly, but much of it seems very grounded in western culture. While this doesn't preclude its use otherwise, I, for one, would love to see similar treatments done for the eastern part of the world. :D

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads