TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
haakon1 said:

I only play with my friends. I don't kill my friends' characters for "fun", but I want them to know the dice fall where they may because, like ABC Sports motto went: "The thrill of victory, the agony of defeat". Without losing, there's no winning.

The real fun of the game is when you can say: "Wow, that was close. We almost got slaughtered, but we did it, and everybody's OK." It's a fine line in DMing to get that Indiana Jones grabbing his hat under the crushing stone door thrill, without crushing too many archeologists . . . very tough to do without fudging dice rolls, but I'm trying to run a "clean" no safety protocol campaign now.

I guess that's the real generational difference. Me and my friends grew up before the era of "everybody gets a trophy for playing". No risk feels like no achievements to me.

Whoa!

Well put sir.

I heartily concur.

Cheers,
Gary

Gentlegamer

Adventurer
On modules and sales . . . . Goodman Games Dungeon Crawl Classics series has modules that are on their third printing! There's definitely a market for good modules.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Gentlegamer said:
On modules and sales . . . . Goodman Games Dungeon Crawl Classics series has modules that are on their third printing! There's definitely a market for good modules.
That is heartening, and Goodman has earned its rep, so is reaping the benefit. However, the print runs in question are most likely rather modest. Back in the early 1980s TSR would do initial print runs of 25,000 and with the better-selling modules reprint many times at that quantity. I don't recall the exact sales figures, but I believe that Ravenloft, S1, G1 through G3, D1 through D3, Q1, T1, the Temple of Elemental Evil and all the Dragonlance modules sold over 100,000 each.

Cheers,
Gary

grodog

Hero
Hello Gary :D

I was reading through some of our old letters from the NIPI days. In there, as well as in the NIPI "Realms of Adventure" newsletter, you mentioned various projects that never came to pass, due to NIPI's funding vanishing.

Which of your unfinished projects (from NIPI or elsewhere, for that matter) would most like to complete?

Also, unrelatedly, how was the Lake Geneva Convention?

Thanks, as always, for spending time to share your thoughts and wisdom with us :D

Col_Pladoh said:
This is because there are too many modules being produced for the size of the consumer audience, and many produced in the past have been of low play quality, so GMs are reluctant to purchase more.

They're also really fragmented. There are modules for old-schoolers, modules for Eberron, modules for various fringe rules, etc.

Open Gaming License was a cool idea, but it makes the Mazteca-ization problem of D&D (splintering a small audience) worse.

Opps. Sorry, I didn't read this was closed until I already wrote this.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases