TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnRTroy

Adventurer
Geoffrey, there are a few limits to magic in the game that you should be aware of.

1) You only start out using 4 abilities or something like that, IIRC. You can gain more as time goes on, but it's a bit different from having access to an entire spell list like some gamers might be used to.

2) Stronger castings take more time to cast, sometimes the equivalent of 3-4 ABCs (Action Block Counts--equivalent to rounds). So the stronger the spell, the more likely it could be disrupted in combat. Thus, players have to make some important and hard decisions when picking their castings--if they choose the ultra-powerful ones, they might have a lot of trouble casting them in combat.

I wouldn't say EVERY thing in the game is a good "starting monster". There are equivalents of "levels", based on health, protections, and abilities. The "1st rank orders" in the game sort of show you want the ultimate avatars would be.

Still, you have more of a chance to hit the ground running. I'd say starting Avatars are equivalent to mid-level D&D characters. (6-8th level or so).

Beckett

Explorer
Col_Pladoh said:
The game is for 2 to 5 players, best with 5. It covers the time of the 100 Years War, but it is not a military game, but rather an historically based strategy card game played on a mapboard. Each player in the game has something to do each time one of the five participants acts during a turn. There are up to 15 turns in a game, although there can be a winner sooner. The two major powers are the Angevin Empire (going firstand with the most cards in hand) and France (playing last in a turn and with the second largest playing hand). The other players represent Flanders, Savoy, and Toulouse. As Toulouse is out of play near the end of the game because of the Cathar Crusade against it, its otherwise favorable board position is balanced.

Essentially all the players act, in turn, to further their aims and thwart those of their adversaries, even as they must trade cards with them to be able to act efficiently.

Any of the five countris can win. If none manages a victory by the end of play, France wins automatically.

You've got a tentative sale in South Dakota, then. Hundred Years War is one of the periods that always grabs my attention (mostly toward the end, spurred on by Europa Universalis 2). A bit of a shame that all the good games work best with 5 players; my boardgame group (focused mostly on the Axis&Allies games) seems to always hover around 4 people.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Beckett said:
You've got a tentative sale in South Dakota, then. Hundred Years War is one of the periods that always grabs my attention (mostly toward the end, spurred on by Europa Universalis 2). A bit of a shame that all the good games work best with 5 players; my boardgame group (focused mostly on the Axis&Allies games) seems to always hover around 4 people.
Four will work for the KoE-KoF game ;)

Cheers,
Gary

Barak

First Post
Gary,

Why do you insist on remaining so awesome? Most people who create something that becomes as pervasive as D&D and/or who become such iconic figures become bitter, hard-to-approach hermits. Yet, you persist in remaining approachable, gregarious and full of life. Is this all some sort of ploy to be able to get more souls for some demonic rituals, or perhaps just a derivative of your likeness of good scotch?

Treebore

First Post
I think Gary just knows that life is too much fun to be a sour recluse. Plus you can't be a real gamer if you only game with yourself. ;)

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Barak said:
Gary,

Why do you insist on remaining so awesome? Most people who create something that becomes as pervasive as D&D and/or who become such iconic figures become bitter, hard-to-approach hermits. Yet, you persist in remaining approachable, gregarious and full of life. Is this all some sort of ploy to be able to get more souls for some demonic rituals, or perhaps just a derivative of your likeness of good scotch?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

You caught me being a true game geek and dedicated nerd :eek:

The fact is that I love playing games, fellowshiping with others of like mind :D

The booze and other offerings are just a side bene that I also share up with others :cool:

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Deuce Traveler said:
Gary, I just wanted to mention that my article on the history of computer role-playing games has just come out, since you were interested in the topic when I mentioned it before. If you ever get the time to peruse the work, it was published by the Silven Trumpeter:

http://shop.enworld.org/index.php?productsid=1687&source=Release News
Yes indeed:)

I am taking a break from a videotaped interview being shot for the Turner gaming channhe now. when I have some time tomorrow I'll happily read your essay!

Cheers,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases