TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
ColonelHardisson said:
Yes, that will help quite a bit.
Howdy Colonel!

I should have mentioned that I was working on special spells for the Mountebank, Savant, Mystic, and Jester alike. I had a fair list put together, some number detailed in draft form, but I fear all are long lost.

Cheers,
Gary

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Col_Pladoh said:
Howdy Colonel!

I should have mentioned that I was working on special spells for the Mountebank, Savant, Mystic, and Jester alike. I had a fair list put together, some number detailed in draft form, but I fear all are long lost.

Cheers,
Gary

That's really unfortunate. Can you recall the gist of any of them, by chance?

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
ColonelHardisson said:
That's really unfortunate. Can you recall the gist of any of them, by chance?
:uhoh:

After 20 plus years have passed and I have done several new RPGs with a huge number od new spells for each, not a chance I can recall any ot them without some mental prompt akin to my notes... :heh:

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Paul J. Stormberg said:
Chainmail Tribute Game: The Battle for the Moathouse

Howdy Gary,

Just a pointer to a little write up I did for the Castle & Crusade Society Chainmail Tribute Game you played in at Lake Geneva Gaming Convention in June:

http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18763

Hope you had as much fun participating as I had refereeing it.

Futures Bright,

Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks for posting all that--fine work sir. I have posted a message on the thread.

Rest assured I did have a lot of fun--even with your hostile, non-neutral treant whacking the daylights out of some of my troops there on the left flank of our formation :lol:

Cheers,
Gary

SuStel

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
Rest assured I did have a lot of fun--even with your hostile, non-neutral treant whacking the daylights out of some of my troops there on the left flank of our formation :lol:

Neutral doesn't mean peaceful, after all!

dcas

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
Pish & Tosh!

A treant is neutral in regards to other alignments and does not attack without provocation;)

Perhaps the Forces of Evil (tm) got it riled up, or perhaps it's a tree beast a la Dark Druids. :)

Even Treebeard very nearly squashed Merry and Pippin.

Gentlegamer

Adventurer
ColonelHardisson said:
The Dragon Compendium actually features a Mountebank, a Savant, and a Jester class (Mystic I don't recall being in there, off the top of my head). The Mountebank and Savant classes, as I (hazily) recall them, could be covered in 3rd edition by a judicious allotment of skills and feats for the Rogue (in the former) and by a Diviner/Loremaster. The 3e versions in the Dragon Compendium - an otherwise fine product - are almost unrecognizable as what Gary proposed way back when. This is especially true of the Mountebank, the Dragon Compendium version of which doesn't even come close to the dictionary definition of the word. I was very disappointed in that one, in particular.
I thumbed through them in the store . . . I agree, the "3e" take was completely different from what Gary proposed. They had too much of the typical "dungeonpunk" varnish, as does much of the 3e ruleset.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
man, seriously, anyone out there have a time machine? if so, could you do us all a favor and go back and grab all of gary's old notebooks? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads