TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Joël of the FoS said:
On Stross: I like it when people exagerate to make a point... He would have been taken more seriously with less.
One of the fellows on my Talk List exchanges communications with Mr. Stross, and I suggested that he inform Stross that I have no objection to being used as a straw man to emphasis a position... :lol:

"life achievement in cool" at the Kerouak fest? Hey, that's cool :) What was it? A golden plaque on a 50's bumper car? :) Who else got this award?

Joël
The Kerouac Fest was held for three years running in Windbur, PA, at the Grand Midway Hotel, this year being the last. Sadly I was unable to attend any of the events, so I don't know who else got what. All I can say is that one day last month a package arrived here with a marble reectabgle upon which was affixed a metal plaque engraved with my name, the award, and the awarding entity.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Priest_of_Boccob said:
Hello Mr.Gygax. First I would like to say thank you for your wonderful creation of the original DnD. I don't know what I would have done without it, so thank you very much.
Greetings and welcome :)

I have played every edition of DnD, except for 1st edition, cause unfortunatly I can't find anyone to play 1st edition with :( I know that you are not a fan of the latest editions of the game (which is quite understandable).
Try www.dragonsfoot.com for a group playing OD&D.

I would very much like to know what you think about a recent thread started about your influences in creating the game, and the possible influence of Tolkien (I know it may be a touchy subject, so I'm very sorry if I have annoyed you, that was not my intent).

the link is here: http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=669838&page=1&pp=30

...i know it is on the website of the company that now has control of DnD, Wizards of The Coast, but I couldn't think of any single person that could contribute more to the conversation on the thread than your self.

I would love to know what you think, so if you would care to reply, it would be greatly appreciated, even if you were to just give your thoughts in a post here on this site.

thank you.
Well...

This is not touchy but rather cabbage that's been chewed more than once. Still, I'll comment here. If you wish, refer readers of the thread in question to this one.

I did indeed use names that Tolkien used in his LotR books in order to attract potential players to the D&D game. When it was being written, was published, early in the 70s the Rings Triology was surely the best known fantasy work around. That said, compare the elves of the D&D game with those that JRRT extoled. Quite a difference between the two, eh?

From where did I get my take on elves? Mainly from fairy tales such as the one in which the 12 princesses went through a secret door into Elfland every night, dancd with elven princes so as to have holes in their slippers. Also, the folklore about etering the world of elves through a secret way under a stone that depicts elves as human-like in many respects. Much authored fantasy also treats elves in like manner, including their being soul-les.

I read literally thousands of SF, fantasy, folklore, and mythology books beginning in 1950. I can not recall exact references after so many years have passed, but I can assure all that Tolkien was not the first autor to consider elves as something other than tiny little fairy folk. In point of fact, fairies in fairy tales, and the French Lutin fair folk, are usually more like JRRT's version of elves than any other sort of folklore "race" other than perhaps the Norse lysoalfar, the "light elves." Of course, as Tolkien borrowed much from Norse mythology, it is likely that both his dwarves and elves came from there. I know my dwarves surely did.

Cheers,
Gary

Last edited:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
MerricB said:
Fantastic. :)

Argh! Too many good games to play! (You spelt both correctly, btw, Gary. At least, I could find them on boardgamegeek with your spelling...)
Ciao Merric,

The experience did leave me wanting to play each of them again, but our time had ended, so perhaps next gamin session, as one of the regulars is going to away. Sadly he is the one that brought the Quo Vadis and Condoterri games,,,

I've just picked up the expansion to the War of the Ring game - great game, but takes 2+ hours to play. It seems I'm not role-playing on Friday night, so I'll get a chance to play it. I've really begun to appreciate the games that only take 30-60 minutes to play, which we can engage ourselves in while waiting for others to turn up. (That reminds me, Ben recently picked up Around the World in Eighty Days, which I must get him to bring again - although it's not quite of the standard of TTR:E or Settlers, it was very enjoyable to play.)

Cheers!
there has been a real resurgence in interest in board games, both classics and new ones that are likely to become classics inn time. I just ordered my own copy of Puerto Rico and a set of expansion cards as well as a classic version of the Clue game. With Monopoly, Settlers of Catan and Rail Baron around, we should have a fun evening. I confess that i am anxious for Troll Lord Games to publish my King of England - King of France board/card game for up to five players, though. IKt will be great fun playing it with the group when we aren't RPGing.

Cheers,
Gary

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Col_Pladoh said:
I can not recall exact references after so many years have passed, but I can assure all that Tolkien was not the first autor to consider elves as something other than tiny little fairy folk.

A very good example would be Lord Dunsany.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
MutieMoe said:
What are your thoughts on singleplayer computer RPG's and the online multiplayer games of today?
:D

They aren't really roleplaying...yet...but they are surely entertaining. So much so that I refrain from getting started because I will ignore everything else for days or weeks if I do so. That doesn't keep my sone, particularly the youngest, Alex, from playing online many a night into the wee hours with a buddy, the two teaming up mainly in Warcraft.

Electronic games are a howling success, and I do believe that they will continmue to top the motion picture industry in sales volume. We are doing all we can to get a MMP RPG online ;)

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
ColonelHardisson said:
A very good example would be Lord Dunsany.
Indeed.

Also I believe it was MArgaret St. Claire who wrote The Secret People in which elves were very much like humans.

Of course, the early English folklore had elves akin to small humans, likely based on the Picts, and called stone arrowheads they found "elf bolts".

Cheers,
Gary

Gray Mouser

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
:lol:

I would have likely spotted it had the whole of the Psalm been quoted. I note that you used the Revised Standard Version.

Cheers,
Gary

Yes, I prefer the RSV to most modern translations, the vast majority of which have capitulated to politically correct "inclusive language." The problem with such is twofold: 1) technically it's incorrect English and 2) changing a singular noun like the gender-neutral usage of "man" to "people" or "humans" requires more changes such as verb forms, referent pronouns, etc. and pretty soon you have Biblical verses that seem either unrecognizable or simply jarring to the ear. For example, I have read translations where Jesus tells the Apostles that instead of making them "fishers of men" he will make them "fish for people." Gah!

Gray Mouser

Gray Mouser

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
Indeed.

Also I believe it was MArgaret St. Claire who wrote The Secret People in which elves were very much like humans.

Don't you realize that Tolkien was your main inspiration for the whole of D&D, Gary? Why continue to bring up the thousands of other stories and hundreds of other authors you had read before making the game and admit the truth that one author, whose major work you didn't particularly care for, is really responsible for every aspect of the game?

I kid! I joke!

Actually, I read the thread over at wizards and have but one thing to say: a lot of those people are maroons.

Of course, the early English folklore had elves akin to small humans, likely based on the Picts, and called stone arrowheads they found "elf bolts".

Cheers,
Gary

Similar to humans? Obviously they didn't realize that they were really being influenced by Tolkien!

I kid!

;)

Actually, the possibility of basing elves from folklore on the Picts is kind of cool!

Gray Mouser

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Gray Mouser said:
...For example, I have read translations where Jesus tells the Apostles that instead of making them "fishers of men" he will make them "fish for people." Gah!

Gray Mouser
Sounds sort of like a Pete Benchly novel :confused:

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Gray Mouser said:
Don't you realize that Tolkien was your main inspiration for the whole of D&D, Gary? Why continue to bring up the thousands of other stories and hundreds of other authors you had read before making the game and admit the truth that one author, whose major work you didn't particularly care for, is really responsible for every aspect of the game?
Well...

I did enjoy The Hobbit, and I was awfully fond of the Tom Bombadil character. The rest was just too slow and dull for my taste. I somehow never could really relate to the mental agonies of a furry-footed midget and his similar companions. At least when Elric becomes deptessive there is soon some action to make the reader forget the boring passage preceeding it :lol:

Actually, I read the thread over at wizards and have but one thing to say: a lot of those people are maroons.
Eeeh... What's up, Doc?

Actually, the possibility of basing elves from folklore on the Picts is kind of cool!

Gray Mouser
As I envisage them, the Wild Elves are more or less just that.

Cheerio,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases