TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
vaguy010 said:
Hi Gary,

I know this Q&A is over with, I did not know about it until now.

I do not have a question just a comment.

I am glad you did what you did, you are one of my heros # 2 on my list my dad is first sorry!

Anyways just thought I would say hi and I will try to come up with some good questions for you the next time you do a Q&A.
Hi Vaguy010,

No way this Q&A thread is over yet... Ask away if you like.

Rest assured I am really honored to be #2 on your heroes list. I should come after your father, and maybe then some ;)

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
dcas said:
Heh...

Always good to have an LA game fan posting :D

Indeed the personality of the Grotto and Thicket Wylf is based loosely on that of the Picts of folklore, not the usual elves. Of course elves are also based in part on the Picts. The culture and physical appearance of the Wylfs is something I made up to suit the game.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Henry said:
:confused:

Did Gary say something I missed about not doing these anymore?
:uhoh:

I don't think so... Likely the assumption came from the number of unanswered posts, the reason for which I have already explained :\

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Treebore said:
Yes. He answered stuff on Dragonsfoot today. Maybe he is just too busy with real life today. His B-day is coming up too.
Hesh yo mouff up!

At my age things like that are best forgotten...

:lol:
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Llaurenela said:
Hi Ya Gary!
Just stopping in to say greetings to you and yours!
Llaurenela
Ciao Llaurenela:)

Thanks. You have been absent from the Talk List, and I was windering what was happening.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Steverooo said:
So, Garymeister, can you give us any word on what you're working on with TRS (no, not T$R! Total Reality Studios!)?
:confused:

I don't believe I am working on anything with TRS at this time.

What prompted the inquiry?

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Hi Riprock,

While not many will dispute that the lot of RPGs are based to some greter or lesser extent on my work, and that I have influenced many people in regards to entertainment, creativity, even education and career, and I am now a part of pop culture, I do not believe that the influence extends beyond that. Of course those who were positively influenced by my game efforts might well have a collectively greater impact on our society, but in such case the credit or blame for that rests with those worthies ;)

Cheers,
Gary

Treebore

First Post
One thing I can definitely thank the influence of D&D, especially your 1st edition, is for making me realize how thinking outside the box is a very good skill to have, and in turn is why I own this stuff: Collection/business and Homes

Plus what your game taught me helped me to help a lot of people in this world. Pehaps the most dramatic being getting a bunch of joint replacement parts to doctors and patients over in Russia about 6 years ago (Apatite/Murmanske region). It is a warm fuzzy feeling to know people are walking again.

So those are a couple of the indirect effects your work has had on the world. Not to mention my family and I.

So you are definitely right about the continued indirect effect your D&D is having on this world, whether those people realize it came from them playing D&D or not. I know it is from D&D, but I also know I am much more "self aware" than many.

I also see how playing is helping me to help my children to prepare for the world at large with the moral dilemma's I throw at them during the course of our games. I bet you did the same when you DMed your kids.

So yes, the creation you made available to the world is doing a lot of good. Not to mention a whole bunch of confessions I have heard about it keeping people from getting too deep into drugs and suicidal thoughts and just helping out enough that their lives aren't as bad as they otherwise would have been.

You definitely have a creation to be immensely proud of. Very few people have that "honor". Must be tough to put in a perspective you can comfortably deal with.

I will try to make the L. Geneva Convention next year. In fact I will be there if a certain power is willing to let me make it happen. Considering how good he has been to me so far, I'm confident. I'll hopefully be able to bring my whole family. Its hard to say. The Army really messed up my wifes health a couple of years ago. I'll bring who I can.

Gray Mouser

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
Elfdart noted that the pech and the brownie were derived from the Picts. I am not sure of the origin of the grugach, but it might well have been another foklore take on them. As a matter of fact I did much enjoy reading through texts dealing with mythology and folklore, the medieval bestiaries and all, translating what seemed interesting into material for the AD&D game. What seems to be lacking now is a real love for fantasy and the game system...

Cheers,
Gary

Huh, much like the Pech I assumed that Wild Elves (Grugach) were also creaitons of your own out of whole clothe! You learn something new every day.

BUt wait, does this mean that you did not gain your inspiration for these Elves from JRRT? Say it isn't so!

;)

Not to beat a dead horse or anything, but where did you get the idea for Valley Elves? Were they also based in mythology? I rather like them and have a small community of them in my campaign.

Gray Mouser

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases