TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
JoeGKushner said:
Can we see a cease and desist of Lejendary Journeys material in the D20 books? I don't like dual statted books from AEG and Holistic Design, and this is a trend I'd like to see end.

Got a mouse in your pocket, joe? :eek:

As far as I am concerned, I much prefer creating in the LA game system than doing so in the D20 one. So the short answer is that I have another super-adventure done, THE HALL OF MANY PANES, and that will be dual system, as will CASTLE WOLFMOON. After that, though, I don't plan on writing any more dual-system material so you'll not have to suffer beyond what is noted. Well, allow me to step back and add that the "Gygaxian" fantasy world reference books while mainly generic is content, will likely continue to include both D20 and LA game system material ;)

Gary

Scott814thmpco

First Post
Lejandary d20?

Hi Mr. Gygax
Perhaps if you converted LA to d20, your work load might lesson and I would have another campaign setting to tack on to my World of Greyhawk setting, which is a combo of Call of Cthuhlu, Star Wars and D&D. ; )
I would also love to see you do a WoG campaign source book like WoTC did for the Forgotten Realms as well as a revised queen of spiders module.

Scott Holst

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
shouit said:
If you would have designed d20 what would you have done differently?

This is likely the same answer you'd get from any pro designer: Nothing, except what comes after the name and before the part that concludes the work.

Seriously, the designers who did the material don't want to hear what I'd have done differently, and I don't have any interest in detailing my particular design ideas for a third edition system, eh?

Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Golem Joe said:
Here are a few:

What do you think are the strengths of d20 and Lejendary Adventure? How would you compare the two?

What material for Lejendary Adventure do you feel would be of most use to d20/DnD players?

What is "Well of Shadows"?

Do you find it difficult to design a cross-over product, like "The Hermit"?

Who were the nine demigods Xagyg imprisoned in Castle Greyhawk?

What's going on with the Lejendary Adventure multiplayer online game?

How would you compare the Lejendary Earth setting to Greyhawk?

Now that Necropolis is out, are there any other "unpublished" Dangerous Journeys material you are looking to have updated to d20?

Tell us about an average night in a Gygaxian gaming session.

Whew!

Such a lot you EN boarders are! So many questions, so little time to answer them :D

The D20 system is so diffrent from the LA game that's it's like comparing apples and oranges. Rules-heavy/rules-light, c;ass-based/skill-bundle-based. About all I can say is that one is a great change of pace from the other. Well, that and if you are writing material for one or the other, it's a lot easier to do for the LA system ;)

Again, there isn't much corelation between D20 and LA systems, so much of the base material doesn't easily cross over. However, there are a number of magic items, spells, and monsters that can translate to D20 and will likely be fun to add to the game.

The WELL OF SHADOWS is a very difficult adventure module that Jon Creffield and I co-wrote a couple of years back. It is connected to an LA game sourcebook, THE MALEDICTED PLATEAU. when the latter is published, The WELL OF SHADOWS will follow it into print--likely in late 2003. Many an a player will rue the day they sent their avatar into that deadly place... :D

The difficulty with doing a dual-system product is more in the system details than in the conceptualization, especially with a module. After all, a good adventure translates into most every system with the correct mechanics. So it is the correct mechanics that are a pain, not the ideas. As the D20 system is very detailed, the pain is great ;) Fortunately, I have good comrades to help assure that nbot too many errors crop up, so that the pain won't also be felt by the gamers who pick up the product.

"Who were the nine demigods Xagyg imprisoned in Castle Greyhawk?" --Ask this over on the GreyTalk list:)

We have a deal signed with Dreams-Interactive for am LA MMPORPG. The demo is being added to now, and we hope to have an alpha test ready around the middle of next year. That given, then a closed beta ar year's end, open beta in 2004, and then the game up and running online late in that year.

The Lejendary Earth world setting is a complete planet based on a very loose parallel to the actual world. so it is again a matter of apples and oranges in regards comparing it to the WoG. About the only parallel than can be drawn between the two is that both are designed to facilitate GM creativity, encourage input, and allow for campaigns to be vastly different evcen though based on the same setting.

"Now that Necropolis is out, are there any other "unpublished" Dangerous Journeys material you are looking to have updated to d20?"--None that spring to mind, no. Loren Wiseman's CITY OF ASCALON would be a good D20 product, though, I should think. It was never published as a DJ/MYTHUS one, so Loren has the material. and it's his call.

"Tell us about an average night in a Gygaxian gaming session."

Well, heh! No time for another page of material here. Get on my "games list," and you'll get an email from me just about every week that recounts the action in the campaign session run Thursday night. The team of doughty adventurers are now working their way through the HALL OF MANY PANES--said module to be published late this year or early next by Troll Lord.

Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Golem Joe said:
And one more:

With Troll Lord Games doing dual-stat stuff for Lejendary Adventure and d20, any chance we'll see more companies that you write for doing that in the future?

Good question! Aside from the massive CASTLE WOLFMOON adventure that Chris Clark and I have about finished, I haven't any plans on doing more dual-system material. However, if some publisher is interested, maybe so.

Fact is that it is very demanding work, module writing. I approach it with trepidation, and executing the project is very time consuming. So to make the task lighter and maximize personal enjoyment I far prefer writing using the LA game as a base--I find it facilitates my creativity. If I can work thus, it's more likely that I'll be motivated to write ;)

Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Zarthon said:
I wish I could sit in on this chat, but I have an important test on Wednesday and the fact that the chat is usally about 3-4 am for me. I will just have to wait for the log:(

Here is my questions for Gary: How many dragons have you killed in alll your years of gaming?

To the best of my recollection my PCs have managed to slay only a few. Of course Mordenkainen and party did subdue a couple of red dragons. The last time Mordie was involved in dragon slaying was in an OAD&D campaign run by my son Ernie. Two ancient white dragons had ambushed his main players' PC party, killed most. So they sought help, Mordenkainen agreed to the deal, and lead the survivors and some new PCs into the dragons' lair. a Power Word Stun took care of one, and the other, lurking invisibly above on a ledge was then assailed and laid low--many a Magic Missile lightening the combat load on the other characters in the melee.

Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Harlock said:
Mr. Gygax, do you have the personality to cast real spells yet?

"I've got that magic touch, it makes you thrill so much.
"It casts a spell, it rings a bell, that magic touch."

Real spells? You mean like dizzy spells, coughing spells, fainting spells? Dry spells? Wet spells? Heat spells? Cold spells? As far as I know, that's about the extent of reality in regards spells.

If there were actually magic spells, and I could use same, do you suppose I'd be answering these kinds of questions?

Heh,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
sword-dancer said:
Mr Gygax

When You compare Dangerous Journeys, Lejendary Adventures and D&D/D20 what are the strength and weaknesses from every setting?

Which non english RPGs do you know and how did you value them and why?

Good questions, but I have no time to manage critical analyses of this sort. Besides, everybody and their pet monkey too does this sort of exercise all the time on one website or another :)

Briefly: DJ is a rather rules-heavy skill based system with great detail required for the creation of the heroic persona.

LA is a rules-light, skil-bundle-based system that facilitiates creativity and innovation within the rules framework.

As for my opinion of non-English RPGs, I understand that there are some excellent ones. However, not reading in other languages, not having time or the chance to play them--or most other English-language RPGs for that matter--I can not offer any useful comment here Sorry.

Gary

3E is a rules-heavy system that provides full structuire for everything.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Fourecks said:
If you could have Greyhawk back under your control and therefore could, and did, publish a decisive GH book, what would you change to bring it back to your "vision"?

Well, with all the creative ideas I need to come up with for projects I can do, I simply don't have time or energy to speculate in regards material that is quite unlikely to ever eventuate.

When WotC approaches me with such an assignment I'll think about it :eek:

Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases