TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
MutieMoe said:
"We are doing all we can to get a MMP RPG online ;) "

Are you working on developement of Massive MultiPlayer RolePlaying Game? Can you perhaps tell more about it?
Yes, we are working towards gettig at least on MMP ORPG going. One is based on the LA game system, the likely other is not.

More I can not say.

Considering the odds against succeeding, don't hold your breath... :uhoh:

Cheers,
Gary

Quasqueton

First Post
In another thread http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?p=2922004 I asked (regarding publication of Mordenkainen’s stats):
Quasqueton said:
I don't understand the reasonings/concerns with publishing a character's stats. Why so secretive with a D&D character's stats?
You answered:
Col Pladoh said:
Why not? Other that the DM for the PC in question their stats are no one's business.

As it happened, I was actively playing those characters, often at conventions, and having other players know such information would be an advantage to them, a disadvantage to me, in case of a conflict. Do players know the stats of their adversaries? Not if the GM is cmpetant! Also, having that sort of information floating around seems absolutely wrong to me, as it is proprietary to the person that created the character. Publishing it is very much akin to bragging or else telling all :-o
I never realized that convention games could be so adversarial between players. Was/is conflict between PCs common in convention games?

Quasqueton

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Quasqueton said:
In another thread http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?p=2922004 I asked (regarding publication of Mordenkainen’s stats):...

You answered:...

I never realized that convention games could be so adversarial between players. Was/is conflict between PCs common in convention games?

Quasqueton
Most tournament games at cons are highly competoitive, so indeed there are often adversarial situations. However, that has nothing to do with my not wishing to reveal the stats for my PCs that I still play now and again. I will show the DM my CRS, but not the other players. When sitting down with a group of unknown players, one never knows when there will be some wishing to "makle a name for their PC," or simply loot your PC's corpse.
Finally, IMO character stats are no more anyone other that the player and his DM's business than is personal information such as bank accounts and the like.

Cheers,
Gary

Erekose

Eternal Champion
Col_Pladoh said:
Howdy Erekose,

. . .

Children are marvelous, even if they do disrupt most everything and demand a lot of time. Enjoy the blessing :D

Cheers,
Gary

Dear Gary,

Just thought I'd let you know that last Friday at 10:20 pm our baby son was born - 8lb 12oz!!! We are going to call him Joseph after my grandfather.

He is truly wonderful and we are all very happy to see him safe and sound - if a little exhausted!!!

Best wishes on your birthday - sorry it's a bit belated but I've been a bit busy! :lol:

Or is it this Thursday? Sorry I feel like I've entered the twilight land of the new parent once again!

Last edited:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Erekose said:
Dear Gary,

Just thought I'd let you know that last Friday at 10:20 pm our baby son was born - 8lb 12oz!!! We are going to call him Joseph after my grandfather.

He is truly wonderful and we are all very happy to see him safe and sound - if a little exhausted!!!
Heh...

Congratulations on the new addition to your family :D

Having a baby can be as rough on the pappy as on the mother, I know, mentally if not physically.

Best wishes on your birthday - sorry it's a bit belated but I've been a bit busy! :lol:

Or is it this Thursday? Sorry I feel like I've entered the twilight land of the new parent once again!
:lol:

Understandable under the circumstances. It is Thursday, and I am looking forward to having a snifter of very old Armagnac and playing boardgames with the regular group. The family birthday dinner will be later on in the week, or next, whenever everyone can arrange to meet :confused:

Cheers,
Gary

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Col_Pladoh said:
Hi Lanefan,

As noted by Philotomy Jurament, there was a set of plstic toys laughlingly labled as dinosaurs IIRR. I frequented the local dime stores back in the late 60s and early 70s searching for toys that would suit tabletop fantasy gaming. The said bag contained three we incorporated--the bulette, the owl bear, and the rust monster. Scale was a bit of a problem, but when improvised figurines are all that one has, the players were quite willing to make do :lol:
Thanks!

Reason I asked is when reading through my MMI a few years ago my SO noticed the Bulette and said it looked familiar; she roots around for a few minutes and pulls out this plastic toy she's had since she was a kid...and sure enough, it's a Bulette!

Now to ask if she's still got the Owlbear and Rust Monster... :)

Lanefan

Col_Pladoh said:
I plan to spend Thursday evening, the anniversary of the day of my birth, playing games :lol:

Long may you reign at the gaming table!

I remember fondly asking questions about whether this new game was evil as I had vaguely heard, being assured it was not, and creating a paladin, who walked warily under the murderholes and past the arrowslits of the Keep on Borderlands . . . 25 years ago this summer.

Thanks you the thousands of hours of fun and many closer friends your game has brought me, Gary.

Have a good birthday . . . even though D&D is just a game, so is baseball, and you're our Babe Ruth, Abner Doubleday, and Cal Ripkin rolled together . . . I'd say Jackie Robinson too, but I'm not convinced D&D has had much effect on civil rights. :p

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Lanefan said:

Now to ask if she's still got the Owlbear and Rust Monster... :)

Lanefan
Actually, I might have made up another critted for the D&D gamefrom the odd assortment of little plastic toys, but I can't recall, and my collection of them is long gone :\

Cheers,
Gary

seskis281

First Post
Gary,

I just got my copy of CZ: Yggsburgh via UPS - I wanted to say thank you for bringing this project back to us! It is a wonderful setting and I will look forward to the Castle and Dungeons to come!

Cheers!

John Maddog Wright

"Sometimes you've got to know when to roll 'em... know when to run!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads