TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Captain NeMo

First Post
A local game store to me sells some veerrryy cheap, veerrryy old RPG products. It has many AD&D adventures that appear to be in good condition, and all at around NZ$3.00.

Any personal favourites that you'd recommend I pick up if I spot 'em?

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Gray Mouser said:
Colonel, regarding the Lankhmar game you mentioned above, do you mean the City of Lankhmar setting for AD&D that TSR published or was this an actual game (table top, I assume, not RPG)? Can you give any details about the game, who was its primary designer, and how much Fritz Leiber was involved with it and what he thought of the whole project?

And, of course, belated but sincere wishes that you had a happy birthday!

Gray Mouser
Heh...

I do believe there was a boardgame called Lankhmar for which Fritz supplied a fair amount of design material. When I asked him for stats on Pulg, he said there was no individual os that name as such, but represented the best warrior in the city. All of this was really a long time ago, and I have forgotten all else. Ah no! I recall I did the text for an event card that said, "Take a hike on the dike." :lol:

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
MarauderX said:
I have been playing a bit of D&D Online, and was floored with glee when I saw that you had done the narration for one of the adventures. Thanks for doing it, and in a way it makes me feel like I have played with the master himself. Any future narrations on the way?
Howdy!

I enjoy doing voice-over work, and I would be pleased to recorm additional lines, but the producers of the D&D game have not linhed that up, so I doubt if there will be more. An interview with me will be aired on Turner Broadcasting's Gametap website sometime soon...it is isn't already up.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Jodjod said:
A local game store to me sells some veerrryy cheap, veerrryy old RPG products. It has many AD&D adventures that appear to be in good condition, and all at around NZ$3.00.

Any personal favourites that you'd recommend I pick up if I spot 'em?
:heh:

That's like asking me which of my children is my favorite...

Of course the ones with which I am really familiar are those I wrote or co-designed. Of those, the ones I most enjoyed DMing were G1-3. D1-3, S3, and T1 and Temple of Elemental Evil...although I must say that running The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth, Dungeonland, anf Isle of the Ape were fun for me if not uniformly enjoyed by the players :eek: All the others fall into a second place, including the ToH :lol:

Cheers,
Gary

Last edited:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Chad Peter said:
Hey there, Gary! Always been a fan!

//wins the award for most unoriginal post//
Howdy Chad,

What's in a post here, eh?

Sure did enjoy living out in the LA area, tipped many a bottle of beer at Barney's Beanery :D

Cheers,
Gary

seskis281

First Post
Ahhh.. Barney's. Went there often when I lived in LA myself.... cheese fries and any beer from around the world.... I miss the menus as newspapers too lol

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
seskis281 said:
Ahhh.. Barney's. Went there often when I lived in LA myself.... cheese fries and any beer from around the world.... I miss the menus as newspapers too lol
Yuppers....

And not too far away used to be the Canard de Bombay with really excellent Indian cisine. I never did have the courage to try any dish beyond four stars, not six, eight, or the ten star that Timothy LEary said was a psychedelic experience :eek:

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Chad Peter said:
Oh Barney's. Such interesting nights of drunken haze have occured there. It is quite the interesting place, I must say.
Ever go to the Sunset Saloon on Ocean Avenue at the north edge of Venice Beach? Whew!

:uhoh:
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases