TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Treebore

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
Ever go to the Sunset Saloon on Ocean Avenue at the north edge of Venice Beach? Whew!

:uhoh:
Gary

If its the place I think your talking about it isn't the north edge of venice beach anymore.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Treebore said:
If its the place I think your talking about it isn't the north edge of venice beach anymore.
What do you mean? The edge of Venice Beash has moved, to the saloon is gone? Haven't been our there for about six years now.

I do know that Don the Beachcombers that was on the coast in Malibu got washed away. Pity that, as the "navy grog" they served was something else!

Cheers,
Gary

Treebore

First Post
This was two years ago, but IF I am remembering correctly either they somehow extended the edge of the beach (didn't see how that would be the case) or they moved closer to the "center". I could also just remembering a place with the word "saloon" in it.

seskis281

First Post
Treebore said:
This was two years ago, but IF I am remembering correctly either they somehow extended the edge of the beach (didn't see how that would be the case) or they moved closer to the "center". I could also just remembering a place with the word "saloon" in it.

I can't remember that area of Venice as well - I have friends who own Small World Books in the center part, and the restaurant next to it, both near muscle beach area, but I just can't place the other parts. I moved to Louisiana in 99 and Wisconsin in 04, and I've only been back like 3 times for a few days since I moved away. I lived in Burbank and taught in Pasadena, so I know the valleys better.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Treebore said:
:eek:

I was in the Sunset Saloon one afternoon with son Ernie and another chap, and two of the biggest, meanest, ugly-tempered bikers and their two cute little biker chicks came in and raised some real hell. It is a story that can be told only over a drink in non-mixed company.

:uhoh:
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
seskis281 said:
I can't remember that area of Venice as well - I have friends who own Small World Books in the center part, and the restaurant next to it, both near muscle beach area, but I just can't place the other parts. I moved to Louisiana in 99 and Wisconsin in 04, and I've only been back like 3 times for a few days since I moved away. I lived in Burbank and taught in Pasadena, so I know the valleys better.
Too hot in the Valley, and the property values are much lower than they are to the south in Belleair, Beverly Hills, Pacific Pallisades and Santa Monica...

There is a Canard de Bombay in the Valley, though. Ever go to La Fritte?

:lol:
Gary

grodog

Hero
Gray Mouser said:
Colonel, regarding the Lankhmar game you mentioned above, do you mean the City of Lankhmar setting for AD&D that TSR published or was this an actual game (table top, I assume, not RPG)? Can you give any details about the game, who was its primary designer, and how much Fritz Leiber was involved with it and what he thought of the whole project?

Gray Mouser, Lankhmar usually sells on eBay semi-regularly for $15-$70+, depending on condition and completeness. A recent auction is at http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290008290910 (this one sold quite cheaply), and the Boardgame Geek entry is at http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/4025

If you want some more info about the credits listed in the rules, I'd be happy to go get the info for you.

Gray Mouser

First Post
grodog said:
Gray Mouser, Lankhmar usually sells on eBay semi-regularly for $15-$70+, depending on condition and completeness. A recent auction is at http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290008290910 (this one sold quite cheaply), and the Boardgame Geek entry is at http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/4025

If you want some more info about the credits listed in the rules, I'd be happy to go get the info for you.

Grodog, thanks for the information regarding the Lankhmar game. It looks pretty interesting. I don't seem to recall ever seeing any adds for it, let alone seeing it at my local gaming store back in the day. Of course, I didn't start gaming until circa 1980/81 and the publicaiton date for Lankhmar was 1975 or so!

Gray Mouser

Gray Mouser

First Post
Treasure Type Questions

Gary, I was perusing the Monster Manual recently and noticed a couple of odd entries for treasure types I was hoping you could shed some light on.

First, the entry for Dispater has the Arch-Devil listed as possessing the following treasure types: Q (x10) and S. While Dispater is the weakest of the Arch-Devils 10-40 gems and 2-8 potions seems to be a little on the light side for a treasure horde found in his lair. Was there a third treasure type that was accidentally left out of this entry?

Secondly, Pit Fiends are listed as possessing treasure types J and R. While R is a fairly hefty treasure type (consisting in gold, platinum, gems and jewelry) it lacks any possibility of magical items if you play treasure placement BtB. Also, treasure type J is an individual treasure type and consists of 3-24 copper pieces! My question is, was the J entry a typo, perhaps for type I (directly above it on the treasure type table and consisting of platinum, gems, jewelry and the possibility of a magic item)?

Then again, I kind of like the idea of a party encountering a Pit Fiend that isn't in its lair and only getting about 13 coppers for their troubles :]

Gray Mouser

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases