TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
BOZ said:
gary,

did the quickling and obliviax appear anywhere before the MM2 or was that their debut? :)
As far as I can recall, both of those critters made their first appearance in MM2. Shick had the concept for the quickling, and blamed if I can remamber anything about the obliviax :confused:

Cheers,
Gary

grodog

Hero
Hi Gary---

An ENWorld member was asking for some suggestions about expanding G1 Steading of the Hill Giant Chief in a thread @ http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=170490 and while looking over the maps last night, I wondered if you had re-used any of your old dungeon levels when creating maps for publication (similar to using Rob's El Raja Key level for the Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth)?

edit: FYI, "Obliviax Moss" appeared as part of the Monster Cards before the MM2 was published :D

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Gary, I don't recall this ever being asked (it may have been and I missed it), but how did the stinky reptilian creatures known in D&D as troglodytes come by that name? The word generally is used in reference to what are also known as cave men. I was just curious about the genesis of the D&D critter that has the name.

BluSponge

Explorer
BOZ said:
did the quickling and obliviax appear anywhere before the MM2 or was that their debut? :)

Didn't the memory moss first show up in the monster cards TSR did for AD&D? Yes. Yes, it did. :)

The quickling was all MM2, though.

Tom

EDIT: DAMN! Scooped by Grodog!

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
grodog said:
Hi Gary---

An ENWorld member was asking for some suggestions about expanding G1 Steading of the Hill Giant Chief in a thread @ http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=170490 and while looking over the maps last night, I wondered if you had re-used any of your old dungeon levels when creating maps for publication (similar to using Rob's El Raja Key level for the Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth)?

edit: FYI, "Obliviax Moss" appeared as part of the Monster Cards before the MM2 was published :D
howdy,

I do not comment on potential expansions of my old modules.

As a matter of fact I invited Rob to co-write the Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth with me, after a couple of my PCs had adventured in his similarly mapped area. He declined, so I created a different map from that which he had made, and devised original encounters as well.

That's that ;)

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
ColonelHardisson said:
Gary, I don't recall this ever being asked (it may have been and I missed it), but how did the stinky reptilian creatures known in D&D as troglodytes come by that name? The word generally is used in reference to what are also known as cave men. I was just curious about the genesis of the D&D critter that has the name.
As a part of the never-ending search for new critters to dismay PCs, I stretched a lot of established fantastic monsters to suit the need, just as I made up quite a few like things out of whole cloth or a mere depiction of name. It worked pretty well, eh?

Anyway, I thought underground dwellers might better be of non-mammalian sort, possibly even of the same genus as salamanders. Cave men could remain in the mis nicely under that heading :cool:

Cheers,
Gary

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Hmmm... that's funny to hear. Troglodytes are my favorite lizard-like humanoid monsters in the game.

Hope they make 4th Ed. <ducks as the crowd reacts to the sensitive subject>

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases