TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
seskis281 said:
Hi Gary,

I was wondering in your original campaigns if you developed the City of Greyhawk after the castle & dungeons, or did you establish the locale first as with the new Castle Zagyg material (which as I think I already said is excellent)?
the castle and dungeons came about a month before the first, one-page map of the City of Greyhawk.

On a tangent, was the Duchy of Tenh extrapolated from the Duchy of Ten in the original Blackmoor setting?

Cheers! :)
As I never was privy to any campaign material that was created by Dave, I simply used a name similar to that which had been mentioned by him.

Cheers,
Gary

Blustar

First Post
Hey Gary, (long time no post)

A couple questions....

1. Are the new hardback LA books going to be updated and revised? ( errata, clarifications, etc.) Or just reprints...

2. I really enjoyed the Egyptian themed novels you wrote and think they were a step up which include , " The Anubis Murders","The Samarkand Solution" and "Death in Delhi" . ( although I did enjoy your Greyhawk novels too) Was your module "Necropolis" for Dangerous Journeys after or before the novels? (or are they not related?)

I have the 3e version and the DJ version, have you thought of updating it to either LA or C&C being as they were widely praised as great modules? I think, since LA's setting (LE) is similar to Aerth, that Necropolis could fit well in the LA system. I ask because LA is missing ( for me anyways) that super-module to get the juices flowing. Though we greatly enjoyed the High/Low Road series by J Creffield. (keep this guy on your payroll!!!) I do have the Hall of Many Panes too but the module is too setting independent. I've read through it and like it a lot but it doesn't bring out what makes LE special. Anyways just passing along my enthusiasm for the LE setting...

3. Castle Zagyg is amazing and we love it! Just saying not a question. My sons first DM'ing campaign (we are using OAD&D) and its going great. (along with Dark Chateau) Some time before I turn 80 would be nice for parts 2,3,4 etc...but CZ will keep us occupied for a while anyway...Do you need us to intimidate Rob for you??

4. Are you done with novels? I really enjoyerd the last 3. Too much of a time commitment? Was it not fun anymore? Health? Here's hoping you write a novel again sometime soon...

Cheers,

Blue

PS- This has been a great year for RPG's (for me) With Ptolus and Rapan Atthuk Reloaded bought and paid for, I'm set with the old school and new for many years...Now if only the rest of Zagyg would start trickling out...madness! :D

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Blustar said:
Hey Gary, (long time no post)

A couple questions....
Okay, and a couple is two, so I'll answer that many :]

:lol:

1. Are the new hardback LA books going to be updated and revised? ( errata, clarifications, etc.) Or just reprints...
The three hardbound LA game core rule books will be a revised and ex[anded edition

2. I really enjoyed the Egyptian themed novels you wrote and think they were a step up which include , " The Anubis Murders","The Samarkand Solution" and "Death in Delhi" . ( although I did enjoy your Greyhawk novels too) Was your module "Necropolis" for Dangerous Journeys after or before the novels? (or are they not related?)
Piazo is considering reprinting the Magister Setne Inhetep fantasy mysteries. They are related to the whole of DJ game system, as they were set on the Mythus world setting, but being novels they could be set in some other fantasy earth without a problem. I wrote Necroplis adventure during the time I was working on the first or second of the novels--can't say which, but they are not connected to that module.

I have the 3e version and the DJ version, have you thought of updating it to either LA or C&C being as they were widely praised as great modules? I think, since LA's setting (LE) is similar to Aerth, that Necropolis could fit well in the LA system. I ask because LA is missing ( for me anyways) that super-module to get the juices flowing. Though we greatly enjoyed the High/Low Road series by J Creffield. (keep this guy on your payroll!!!) I do have the Hall of Many Panes too but the module is too setting independent. I've read through it and like it a lot but it doesn't bring out what makes LE special. Anyways just passing along my enthusiasm for the LE setting...
I do not own the rights to Necropolis, so I can not convert it to the LA game system :\

3. Castle Zagyg is amazing and we love it! Just saying not a question. My sons first DM'ing campaign (we are using OAD&D) and its going great. (along with Dark Chateau) Some time before I turn 80 would be nice for parts 2,3,4 etc...but CZ will keep us occupied for a while anyway...Do you need us to intimidate Rob for you??
Looks as if Rob has left the project, so I will have to do more of it myself. As my creative energy is not what it was a couple of years back, that means a bit of work that doesn't fit my semi-retirement... :eek:

Meantime, the many modules detailing the Town of Yggsburgh and its suburban areas are moving along well, about half in for content edition, and the remainder slated to be completed from late this month through November. The Trolls plan to release initially them in pdf format, in batches of four or so, I believe. As there are 24 total, each of rather sizeable proportions, 64 pages, this will make the place about the most detailed large fantasy community game setting.

The castle and dungeons will be done too, and that should pick up steam late this year.

4. Are you done with novels? I really enjoyerd the last 3. Too much of a time commitment? Was it not fun anymore? Health? Here's hoping you write a novel again sometime soon...

Cheers,

Blue

PS- This has been a great year for RPG's (for me) With Ptolus and Rapan Atthuk Reloaded bought and paid for, I'm set with the old school and new for many years...Now if only the rest of Zagyg would start trickling out...madness! :D
As I mentioned, I have limiterd energy and have semi-retired, so it is not likely that I;ll be writing more novels. Frankly, I have too many game projects to oversee and work on, as well as business matters that seem to eat up a lot of time.

Having fun with RPGs, and sort of game, is one of the things I enjoy most. Great to learn you are knocking yourself out with the new material. Just don't burn out!

Cheerio,
Gary

Last edited:

Treebore

First Post
trollwad said:
were you joking about the "rob has left the project" line?

If he has left the project it doesn't surprise me in the least iota. I've been expecting that ever since he joined, even more so now that he has been doing those Pied Piper projects.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Treebore said:
If he has left the project it doesn't surprise me in the least iota. I've been expecting that ever since he joined, even more so now that he has been doing those Pied Piper projects.
I was rather surprised when he informed me that he was dropping it. Rob was the one that initially contacted me about doing such a project.

As I noted, it will proceed in any event.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Treebore said:
Well, i'll refrain from saying any more since I don't want to risk getting in some kind of argument with him.
That is understandable. Why make unnecessary enemies? As a matter of fact, Rob's ideas about creating and marketing are quite different from my own, as I recently discovered. After much thought I simply accepted Rob's initial resignation from co-authoring the castle project and the expanded DMing anecdote collection as there is no common ground from which to work.

Cheers,
Gary

Melkor

Explorer
That's somewhat bad news Gary - I know it would have been a lot easier on you had the two of you been able to work on material together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases