TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Col_Pladoh said:
Public groaning is so much more satisfying that I stoop to troll for it... :lol:

Cheers,
Gary

i'll keep that in mind... sometimes you need to feed the troll to keep it from attacking. ;)

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Delta said:
Gary, thanks for the insight.
:D

Welcome, and trust that you understood the opening of my response. The GM should not worry about limiting PCs' equippage of magical sort, merely manage it through "adjusted" encounters... :lol:

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
BOZ said:
i'll keep that in mind... sometimes you need to feed the troll to keep it from attacking. ;)
Boz the Wise...

That will likely cut the punning short, as the punster will be satisfied that his mission of twisted humor has had its desired effect.

:lol:
Gary

Col_Pladoh said:
:cool:

I vote for the "Or this" ranking with the following additions:
2nd = seasoned apprentice
3rd = skilled apprentice
4th = senior apprentice

6th = experienced journeyman
7th = journeyman of merit
8th = senior journeyman

10th = senior master
12th = grand master
13th = guild master
14th = past master

Gary

Thanks a lot, Gary. It's to know how you think about it. "Past Master" is a good category. :D

In the way I run my game, people don't need a trainer after they make 5th level . . . I guess that's a way of saying "journeyman" or at least you're ready to solo completely/your training is now complete.

SuStel

First Post
Gary said:
BluSponge said:
My only hope is that you guys really, really, REALLY scour the power listings. My biggest gripe about the system … is that every game session I had to confront some vague point in the power descriptions. Every. Game. Session. And yes, it was a different spell every time. I know Gary likes his rules fast and loose, but c'mon!

Grouse, whine, snivel!

Now, look Gary, that's exactly what BluSponge is talking about. That's just too darn vague. Is that a new ability list, a command to do more, a complaint, or your verbal response? C'mon, you can do better! ;)

Treebore

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
:D

Welcome, and trust that you understood the opening of my response. The GM should not worry about limiting PCs' equippage of magical sort, merely manage it through "adjusted" encounters... :lol:

Cheers,
Gary

No kidding!! I wish the current edition taught that instead of painstakingly measuring every gold piece of value and making sure it is in the "right range" for a given level of the party.

GAWD!!

Sorry! I'm still adjusting to regaining my DMing freedom now that I have "quit" 3E.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
haakon1 said:
... I guess that's a way of saying "journeyman" or at least you're ready to solo completely/your training is now complete.
Few persons are ever at their maximum potential. There is always benefit to further study, prectice, and actual experience ;)

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
SuStel said:
Now, look Gary, that's exactly what BluSponge is talking about. That's just too darn vague. Is that a new ability list, a command to do more, a complaint, or your verbal response? C'mon, you can do better! ;)
:]

It is an observation regarding all those persons that expect me to completely develop and detail something when it is usually a case of me purpously being vague for the benefit of the GM. After al, it is made clear by me that the GM is the final authority, no? :confused:

Of course I do sometimes leave out a bit of ctirical information in my haste... :heh:

Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Treebore said:
No kidding!! I wish the current edition taught that instead of painstakingly measuring every gold piece of value and making sure it is in the "right range" for a given level of the party.

GAWD!!

Sorry! I'm still adjusting to regaining my DMing freedom now that I have "quit" 3E.

Revel in the newly regained liberty, amigo! Play the way the game form was designed to be played ;)

Cheers,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases