TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Col_Pladoh said:
Few persons are ever at their maximum potential. There is always benefit to further study, prectice, and actual experience ;)

Nod. What I mean is, the journeyman no longer needs a trainer . . . he can train himself.

This is the stage where Yoda tells Luke his training is complete, or where Conan (in the movie) is freedom from the fighting pits. I figure that's around 5th level.

Goken100

First Post
Hi Gary. I was wondering if you'd care to comment on the shift in popular fantasy fiction from swords and sorcery (Vance, Howard, and Leiber) to epic or "high" fantasy (Jordan, Feist, and Eddings). In particular, how has this shift affected fantasy role playing? Are people more interested in creating epic settings and campaigns to adventure in, and less concerned with exploring dungeons and finding magic relics? How about in your role playing, has it shifted in like manner, or has it changed in other ways?

Thanks much! Its an... *rolls*... honor to talk with you!

Gray Mouser

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
Welcome!

Gamer geek time for me :heh:

Mordenkainen was adventuring in Rob's dungeon when he surprised a 3rd level magic-user of Evil persuation. Mordie's charm spell worked on that worthy, whose name turned out to be Bigby. By dint of fellowship, lecturing, mentoring, and sharing with Bigby, he was not only turned from CE to Neutral, but from there to a leaning towards CG as he considered his past actions.

Ain't you glad you asked a different question so that I could relate that? :lol:

Cheers,
Gary

I, fo rone, am glad the question came up again, COlonel :) The information about Bigby's change in alignment is new. You had said that he started out evil before but, as far as I know, the fact that he was Chaotic Evil is new. As is his leaning towards Chaotic Good. I just assumed that he was strongly neutral as I have gathered Mordenkainen is. Or does Bigby's master also lean towards the direction of weal?

Gray Mouser

Gray Mouser

First Post
Colonel,

The postings on level titles as they relate to guilds got me thinking. In many campaign worlds there are "Mage Guilds," which I assume are modelled on historical guilds (somehow ;) ). I have never really warmed to the idea of a Mage Guild, and there are none in my own campaign world, as it seems to me any locale with one would soon be a magocracy (to use a term from the DMG). My reading of the character to most Magic-Users (and by extentional illusionists) from the DMG section on acquiring spells is that they are rather protective of sharing information and stand-offish when it comes to anyone but their own apprentices.

Anyway, my question is what say you on the matter? Does Oerth have its share of Mage Guilds and, if so, where are they. What keeps them in check from forming a hegemony wherever they come into power?

Gray Mouser

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Gary, when playing D&D, what alignment did your characters gravitate towards?

I have to admit that as a DM, I always ruled out evil PCs, and strongly encouraged good over neutrality. My players never really had a problem with it.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
ColonelHardisson said:
Gary, when playing D&D, what alignment did your characters gravitate towards?

I have to admit that as a DM, I always ruled out evil PCs, and strongly encouraged good over neutrality. My players never really had a problem with it.
How D' Do Colonel :D

Most of my PCs were Neutral so that they could adventure with virtually any other alignment of PCs. There was a need for that, because alignments of the PCs I would join was all over the chart, chaotic to lawful, evil to good, with the neutral shades in the mix. I did have a few Chaotic Good ones, and one Chaotic Evil half-orc cleric/assassin that met an early end. The last PC I created for OAD&D was about five or six years years ago, one Snurre Sharpnose, a gnome illusionist/thief of chaotic neutral sort.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Gray Mouser said:
Colonel,

The postings on level titles as they relate to guilds got me thinking. In many campaign worlds there are "Mage Guilds," which I assume are modelled on historical guilds (somehow ;) ). I have never really warmed to the idea of a Mage Guild, and there are none in my own campaign world, as it seems to me any locale with one would soon be a magocracy (to use a term from the DMG). My reading of the character to most Magic-Users (and by extentional illusionists) from the DMG section on acquiring spells is that they are rather protective of sharing information and stand-offish when it comes to anyone but their own apprentices.

Anyway, my question is what say you on the matter? Does Oerth have its share of Mage Guilds and, if so, where are they. What keeps them in check from forming a hegemony wherever they come into power?

Gray Mouser
Good thing you noted the question, 'Mouser, as I had indeed missed it. Sorry.

I did not have any magical guilds at all in my campauign, and that is why they are not mentioned in the WoG.

OTOH, I do have associations for all practitioners of the arcane arts in the LA game, as with other guilds most being located in large communities.

Your assumption about D&D mages being too likely to be sufficiently powerful to sieze government and rule is likely accurate. I see them as also rather elitest and secretive about their knowledge as you envisaged them to be. In the LA game the capacity to use magic is not limited to a class, there are competing associations, the ecclesaistics are potent, so a magocracy is not likely.

The LA game Enchanters' Guild will only accept memebers that meet their strict requirements, they demand high initiation fees and membership dues, as well as payment for any services preformed for members, those being at half the cost demanded from non-members. In a way it might be thought of as a mixture of a country club and a univertsoy faculty.

Cheers,
Gary

Gray Mouser

First Post
Hey Gary, thansk for the info regarding Mage Guilds. The differences between AD&D and LA are interesting in this regard, especially.

Gray Mouser

rossik

Explorer
hi to all and hi to gary!

this is my first post, and i hope all can understand my bad english!

im from brazil, and here we had just one classic d&d material translated (the box with the red dragon attacking...and u could go to 5 th level max).

after that, we got some ad&d 2nd edition, undermontain, forgotten realms an a litle more.
now we have so much thing translated ! (3rd edition, i mean)

so, gary, the question is: what do u feel knowing that you have touch the life of may people, in so many contries?

wasnt that a big responsability, when u realized that? did it change the way you ake your material?

sorry for the silly question, the thing is that im a really big fan of your work ( i mean, im just ANOTHER big fan..ehehehe)

best wishes to all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads