TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Gray Mouser said:
Hey Gary, thansk for the info regarding Mage Guilds. The differences between AD&D and LA are interesting in this regard, especially.

Gray Mouser
Happy to be of service :D

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Hi Rossik :)

When I first wrote the D&D game it was to share with others, because I and the local gamers had so much fun with the game. Of course I also had an eye towards being able to work on games and related things as a career. The D&D game seemed the best way to start down that path, as I was sure the audience was at least 50,000 strong. Speaking of underestimation... :eek:

In the two years immediately after the game was published I larned a lot. Many people loved playing the game as much as we did, a lot of those fans were not familiar with wargaming and/or science fiction/fantasy literature, some lived in distant countrys.

It is indeed still quite humbling to me to have brought so much enjoyment to so many people virtually world wide. When I see the game and computer industries that have spring primarily from the D&D game, it is quite pleasantly astonishing. How gratifying to have assisted so many people in having fin and earning a livelihood :lol:

Ciao,
Gary

Goken100

First Post
Goken100 said:
Hi Gary. I was wondering if you'd care to comment on the shift in popular fantasy fiction from swords and sorcery (Vance, Howard, and Leiber) to epic or "high" fantasy (Jordan, Feist, and Eddings). In particular, how has this shift affected fantasy role playing? Are people more interested in creating epic settings and campaigns to adventure in, and less concerned with exploring dungeons and finding magic relics? How about in your role playing, has it shifted in like manner, or has it changed in other ways?

Thanks much! Its an... *rolls*... honor to talk with you!
Hello again Mr. Gygax. At the risk of being annoyingly persistent... any thoughts?

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Goken100 said:
Hello again Mr. Gygax. At the risk of being annoyingly persistent... any thoughts?
:confused:

Another post missed...likely because the notification of replies to threads to which I subscribe is very much an iffy thing. Anyway,

Frankly, I don't believe the contemporary trend towards what I consider pallid fantasy tales has much affect on FRPG game campaigns. The success of seek and destroy CRPGs certainly does, and as many are predicting, 4E might well be more akin to Diablo or Warcraft than to traditional RPGs.

Cheers,
Gary

rossik

Explorer
wow....thanks for the answer, mr. gygax!!!

i have another question, if u dont mind...

do u ever think on writing another RPG aid book, like the one u had a long time ago?

do u think that much have change in the way people play?

thanks again!

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
rossik said:

do u ever think on writing another RPG aid book, like the one u had a long time ago?

thanks again!
Hello Rossik,

You are most welcome.

I have not considered writig another book about playing RPGs. Although there are some style changes, and different approaches as to the level of danger appropriate for PCs, the game form is virtually unchanged from c. 1979. Thus I see no need for any further comment. Additionally, I wold not be able to say much ythat is positive regarding some contemporary notions... :lol:

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
rossik said:

thanks again!
Hello Rossik,

You are most welcome.

I have not considered writig another book about playing RPGs. Although there are some style changes, and different approaches as to the level of danger appropriate for PCs, the game form is virtually unchanged from c. 1979. Thus I see no need for any further comment. Additionally, I wold not be able to say much that is positive regarding some contemporary notions... :lol:

Cheers,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads