TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Ron said:
Gary,

I was reading the late AD&D releases, such as the Dungeoneer and Wilderness Survival Guides and Manual of Planes and they they did have a different quality from the earlier AD&D releases, especially Manual of Planes. Was you involved with those projects? I believe MoP was released after you left TSR but is it based in your notes or something?
Pardon me, but no, I had nothing to do with those books

I would not have approved of those splat books, as they encouraged power gaming and were a bad investment for D&Ders IMO, did little to makee the game better.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
rossik said:
hi mr gygax!

..i didnt notice the 11 part was ended...eheehsorry.

what do u think about giving classes to dragons?

doesnt it seems a little stranger?

a dragon thief??? :\

(im gonna cut and paste the last question of mine, if u dont mind! :p )

"thanks guys!

that helped a lot!

oh, one more thing:
risking to go too far (sorry for that!!), whats the chance of getting an autograph from mr gygax? is the only way getting into gen con kinnda of event?

there is nothing like a fan club here, in brazil... :( "
Frankly, I find the concept of dragons as player characters of occassional human-like appearance to be absolutely out of place. No more need be said on this topic ;)

I am always hponored to give autographs, and I do them by mail when the individual sends an addrssed return envelope with postage paid. No other form of mail return is acceptable beacuse of the difficulties of going to the post office here.

Cheers,
Gary

Geoffrey

First Post
Gary, I myself prefer for all player characters/avatars to be human. I am wondering what (if anything in particular) made you change your mind about monster player characters between 1974 (when you wrote in the OD&D rules that players could play just about anything, even balrogs) and 1979 (when you wrote in the DMG that players playing monsters is not a good idea).

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Geoffrey said:
Gary, I myself prefer for all player characters/avatars to be human. I am wondering what (if anything in particular) made you change your mind about monster player characters between 1974 (when you wrote in the OD&D rules that players could play just about anything, even balrogs) and 1979 (when you wrote in the DMG that players playing monsters is not a good idea).
Would you believe three decades of experience?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Gary

Ron

Explorer
Col_Pladoh said:
Pardon me, but no, I had nothing to do with those books

I would not have approved of those splat books, as they encouraged power gaming and were a bad investment for D&Ders IMO, did little to makee the game better.

Cheers,
Gary

That's what I was thinking. I found most of the Survival Guides useless, except for the proficience system (taken from Oriental Adventures), which, despite the fact I liked, sounded a little out of place in AD&D, if you allow me the criticism. Still, I would like very much to see a Manual of Planes written by you. I think it would be much more inspiring than any Planescape or similar release by TSR/WotC. Perhaps you should consider it sometime.

Thanks,

Ron

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Ron said:
That's what I was thinking. I found most of the Survival Guides useless, except for the proficience system (taken from Oriental Adventures), which, despite the fact I liked, sounded a little out of place in AD&D, if you allow me the criticism. Still, I would like very much to see a Manual of Planes written by you. I think it would be much more inspiring than any Planescape or similar release by TSR/WotC. Perhaps you should consider it sometime.

Thanks,

Ron
Thanks Ron,

The days when I could and did write for the D&D games are long gone.

You might want to check out the Cosmos Builder by Richard Balsley, the seventh volume of the "Gygaxian Fantasy worlds" sereis of generic reference books published by Troll Lord Games.

Cheers,
Gary

Hellefire

First Post
Hey Gary

I just wanted to say. I, my wife and my father and my baby girl had breakfast with you last year when I was in the states, and had many interesting conversations. Due to some real life issues, I have not been in touch in a while. I will be emailing you soon. I have been getting yet another generation foplayers interested in the game, and have been thinking about you lately. I hope all is going well for you, and I miss our conversations.

Aaron
Alaska/Poland/Wherever

Treebore

First Post
At GenCon I had the pleasure of being given glimpses of the early stages of P.B.'s maps for Yggsburgh/Zagyg, and I am positive I will be very happy with the final drafts. Besides, Peter just does gorgeous maps. He definitely takes them to a new level of art-form.

I also thought you would be very pleased to know my 14 year old daughter is using your World Builder and Nations Builder books for creating her first campaign world (that will be fully worked out), plus she is telling me she wants your "Names" book as well. Probably Canting Crew too. So your "legacy" is definitely moving on to one more generation. Even if your only "Series Editor" on some of the books.

I told her to check out your 1E DMG as well. :)

Since she is so impressed with the cool ideas/tools/utillities of those books she now wants to read through my LA Essentials books too. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases