TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Hellefire said:
I just wanted to say. I, my wife and my father and my baby girl had breakfast with you last year when I was in the states, and had many interesting conversations. Due to some real life issues, I have not been in touch in a while. I will be emailing you soon. I have been getting yet another generation foplayers interested in the game, and have been thinking about you lately. I hope all is going well for you, and I miss our conversations.

Aaron
Alaska/Poland/Wherever
Hi Aaron,

Ahh, breakfast out... :cool:

All too often the demands of real life do interfere with fun and games, agreed. I am way to busy for a chap that is supposed to be semi-retired, but it is always good to receive an email message from a fellow...even when I must offtimes perforce respond in brevity.

Cheerio,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Treebore said:
At GenCon I had the pleasure of being given glimpses of the early stages of P.B.'s maps for Yggsburgh/Zagyg, and I am positive I will be very happy with the final drafts. Besides, Peter just does gorgeous maps. He definitely takes them to a new level of art-form.

I also thought you would be very pleased to know my 14 year old daughter is using your World Builder and Nations Builder books for creating her first campaign world (that will be fully worked out), plus she is telling me she wants your "Names" book as well. Probably Canting Crew too. So your "legacy" is definitely moving on to one more generation. Even if your only "Series Editor" on some of the books.

I told her to check out your 1E DMG as well. :)

Since she is so impressed with the cool ideas/tools/utillities of those books she now wants to read through my LA Essentials books too. :D
Hi Treebore,

Whoa, and your daughter is a valued customer as well as a fellow gamer :lol: Please tell her that I am glad to learn she is finding those reference works inspirational and useful. As a word of advice, she might well wish to have a look at Living Fantasy, as it promulgates the cultural and social bases likely to be used in a fantasy world campaign setting. Not a few consider it an essential book for building a quasi-European late medieval FRPG milieu.

Holler if I can be of any assistance in regards information of the GFW series type or the LA game.

Cheers,
Gary

Treebore

First Post
The premise of this campaign world is that it is a variety of lycanthrope creatures. They also are not evil, or good, by default. Plus "normal" humans are ruled by the lycanthropes. She is definitely trying to give them huge cultural differences. For example she is drawing on L5R (Legend of the Five Rings) for the "culture" of the Leo's (Lions). She is thinking Canting Crew would give her plenty of material for developing a distinct culture for the were-rats.

She is still very much in the early/rough stages. She has a two page map drawn up with the major geological features and political borders and she is "building" from there. Which is how I believe you suggested to do it in the introduction you wrote for one of the books.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Treebore said:
The premise of this campaign world is that it is a variety of lycanthrope creatures. They also are not evil, or good, by default. Plus "normal" humans are ruled by the lycanthropes. She is definitely trying to give them huge cultural differences. For example she is drawing on L5R (Legend of the Five Rings) for the "culture" of the Leo's (Lions). She is thinking Canting Crew would give her plenty of material for developing a distinct culture for the were-rats.

She is still very much in the early/rough stages. She has a two page map drawn up with the major geological features and political borders and she is "building" from there. Which is how I believe you suggested to do it in the introduction you wrote for one of the books.
:eek:

Your daughter is highly ambitious in her creativity. Creating distinct, basicaly non-human cultures and the societies that would logicaly develop therefrom is a creative endevor I have shied away from because of the demands it will make on knowledge, innovation, creativity...and time and effort to establish and rework the lot until all is suitably exoticly non-human. If she completes the work as planned, it should surely be published :cool:

Cheers,
Gary

Treebore

First Post
My daughter has Aspergers. Kind of an "Autism lite". She really enjoys getting into and working out the details. Plus she really enjoys art, whether it is drawing or writing or sculpting. I mean she has been faceting and cabbing gemstones with me since she was 9. Does better work than me too!

I doubt she will do a big and exhaustive work on this. I'm figuring she will do enough of an "outline" to where we'll know and understand what we need to know to play well, and the rest will give her enough of a reminder to run it the way she has envisioned in her mind.

If it gets close to printable I'll definitely encourage her to take it the rest of the way and see if the Trolls or Necromancer would be interested in publishing it.

BTW, she is on her third book for Necromancer as an interior artist. The Trolls have signed her on at GenCon to do the 1,001 Monster book. All at the age of 14. I didn't do anything half as noteworthy until I was 19 and in the Navy.

She is definitely making her Aspergers work for her. :D

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Dang, Treebor!

That's impressive to me, especially because I love gemstones, mainly the colored ones...perhaps set off by diamonds or pearls... :lol: I'd love a chest full of diamonds, corundum and other colored gemstones to admire even if those stones were a penny a carat!

Actually, what you describe as the likely approach your daughter will take makes excellent creative sense. Playing experience will enable a fleshing out of the initial pass, discover changes necessary, if that appeals. All the while she has her art to employ for full creative expression.

That is most satisfactory all around and surely pleases her pappy ;)

Cheers,
Gary

Treebore

First Post
I sure am!

On the gemstones, with my wife's health being what it is we are "retiring" from the custom jewelry design business. We are selling off our "rocks" at a major auction house in Phoenix, AZ. Anyways, I don't know about a "penny per carat", but I'll see what I can do for you.

If you don't care about the best cut and color I can definitely do a lot. I'll see what I can part with and bring it as a gift for you at the next LGGC. If you don't care much about the cut and color quality. I assure you it will still awake the dragon in you. ;)

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Treebore said:
I sure am!

On the gemstones, with my wife's health being what it is we are "retiring" from the custom jewelry design business. We are selling off our "rocks" at a major auction house in Phoenix, AZ. Anyways, I don't know about a "penny per carat", but I'll see what I can do for you.

If you don't care about the best cut and color I can definitely do a lot. I'll see what I can part with and bring it as a gift for you at the next LGGC. If you don't care much about the cut and color quality. I assure you it will still awake the dragon in you. ;)
Howdy Amigo,

No surprise about you being proud.

Son Alex has considered learning metal smithing ti be a jewelry maker, but I don't think it is a consuming interest.

You are too kind, and I can not accept such gifts, but the thought surely counts :D

See you either this vcoming January (the next proposed LGGC) or in the more clement June weather for LGGC III.

Cheers,
Gary

Wik

First Post
Treebore said:
My daughter has Aspergers. Kind of an "Autism lite". She really enjoys getting into and working out the details. Plus she really enjoys art, whether it is drawing or writing or sculpting. I mean she has been faceting and cabbing gemstones with me since she was 9. Does better work than me too!

I doubt she will do a big and exhaustive work on this. I'm figuring she will do enough of an "outline" to where we'll know and understand what we need to know to play well, and the rest will give her enough of a reminder to run it the way she has envisioned in her mind.

Hunh. That's pretty cool, TB. Actually, it reminds me of an old GM I used to have, who had very little written up about his campaign, but a LOT of drawings and sketches. Was a pretty cool campaign. I think I'm gonna set-up another thread on just this topic.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Wik said:
Hunh. That's pretty cool, TB. Actually, it reminds me of an old GM I used to have, who had very little written up about his campaign, but a LOT of drawings and sketches. Was a pretty cool campaign. I think I'm gonna set-up another thread on just this topic.
Absolutely!

The old adage of one picture being worth a thousand words is applicale to being a GM. It even forced me into making crude sketches :eek:
Would I was able to properly draw... :\

Cheers,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases