TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

allencon

First Post
Thank you, Mr. Gygax

Dear Mr. Gygax,

Thank you for your reply to my question. It is very thougtful of you to take time to read through so much correspondance, be it on line or through the mail. Though I enjoy some parts of the current edition I still read through my copy of the Advanced Dungeons Master Guide. Its cover art with the mysterious man enveloped in deep cerulean blue green robes I enjoyed, for its aproachability, content and information. Thanks for having worked so long and hard over many years to produce a game that has brought enjoyment to so many.

Sincerely - under the nom de plume

Allencon

seskis281

First Post
Hi Gary,

Just wanted to shout an add my support to the idea of a January LGGC... I am still bummed that surgery and other factors made me miss this year and getting to meet you, the Trolls and everyone else I've met via the boards so I would love something earlier than next summer!

P.S. My wife and I drove from Manitowoc to Missouri and back over the weekend and couldn't help but tip our caps (figuratively) as we passed the Lake Geneva exits off the interstate on the way.

John :)

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
allencon said:
Dear Mr. Gygax,

Thank you for your reply to my question. It is very thougtful of you to take time to read through so much correspondance, be it on line or through the mail. Though I enjoy some parts of the current edition I still read through my copy of the Advanced Dungeons Master Guide. Its cover art with the mysterious man enveloped in deep cerulean blue green robes I enjoyed, for its aproachability, content and information. Thanks for having worked so long and hard over many years to produce a game that has brought enjoyment to so many.

Sincerely - under the nom de plume

Allencon
You are welcome :)

As a matter of fact, rading posts and respondig is a good deal like conversing with fellow gamers, and that is something I usually enjoy. It is also less work that writing creatively, so it is suitable for my semi-retired state :lol:

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
seskis281 said:
Hi Gary,

Just wanted to shout an add my support to the idea of a January LGGC... I am still bummed that surgery and other factors made me miss this year and getting to meet you, the Trolls and everyone else I've met via the boards so I would love something earlier than next summer!

P.S. My wife and I drove from Manitowoc to Missouri and back over the weekend and couldn't help but tip our caps (figuratively) as we passed the Lake Geneva exits off the interstate on the way.

John :)
Well...

I haven't had a confirmation, but with both Steve and Davis being up for it, the likelihood of a Frozen Lake Geneva Gaming Convention is pretty high. If it happens, rest assured that you'll be able to schmooze with everyone attending is also a sure thing, as it will be in a smallish building with relatively few attendees and many pick-up games--fun!

Next time you are passing near LG, swing off 43 at the Delevan exit. It is only about 20 minutes to our place, so stop in for a cup or coffee or tea and a brief chat. I am at home most of the time. Our next scheduled trip is when we head up to New Glarus in the fall.

Cheers,
Gary

The only convention I've ever been to is a smallish local one. Next year is definitely the year that I will hit a convention out of my local area. Now to decide between Gen Con and the LGGC. I've always wanted to attend Gen Con but there is something about the smaller, intimate LGGC that is appealing. The chance to meet you, Gary, is a significant bonus for me as I consider you directly responsible for my obsession with role-playing games these last twenty-six years or so. :) I just need to decide if I want to have a chance to say "Hi" at Gen Con or have a chance at a longer conversation with the possiblity of an actual game at the LGGC.

rossik

Explorer
Col_Pladoh said:
Frankly, I find the concept of dragons as player characters of occassional human-like appearance to be absolutely out of place. No more need be said on this topic ;)

I am always hponored to give autographs, and I do them by mail when the individual sends an addrssed return envelope with postage paid. No other form of mail return is acceptable beacuse of the difficulties of going to the post office here.

Cheers,
Gary

woooooowww...so great!!!

...and how can i get your address? :eek:

back to Rpg questions:

mr gygax, we finnaly got an translation for the dragonlance chronicles trilogy ,by margaret weis and tracy hickman

but the translation guys make a big mistake, in my opinion: translating names.

some say that u have to translate, so u can pass the emotion of that name ( as in "Goldmoon" to "Lua Dourada")

others say that u have to keep it original.

whats your opinion about name translation?

thanks in advance!!!

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Toric_Arthendain said:
The only convention I've ever been to is a smallish local one. Next year is definitely the year that I will hit a convention out of my local area. Now to decide between Gen Con and the LGGC. I've always wanted to attend Gen Con but there is something about the smaller, intimate LGGC that is appealing. The chance to meet you, Gary, is a significant bonus for me as I consider you directly responsible for my obsession with role-playing games these last twenty-six years or so. :) I just need to decide if I want to have a chance to say "Hi" at Gen Con or have a chance at a longer conversation with the possiblity of an actual game at the LGGC.
Hi Amigo,

I will be at both the LGGC and Gencon next year. There is much more to see at GenCon than at the LGGC, rather like the big city compared to a small town. The excitement level and energy at Gencon are high indeed, while at LGGC things are relaxed and friendly. I guess the analogy fits well, although gaming is the main attraction at both events, and that's equally intense at both, even if there are not big tournaments at the LGGC as there are at GenCon.

You will likely enjoy either one, and the upcoming GenCon is the 40th... Then again, at the LGGC we play some games on my front porch, and this is where D&D began...

Decisions, decisions :confused:

:lol:
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
rossik said:
woooooowww...so great!!!

...and how can i get your address? :eek:
Email me: gggax@genevaonline.com

:)

back to Rpg questions:

mr gygax, we finnaly got an translation for the dragonlance chronicles trilogy ,by margaret weis and tracy hickman

but the translation guys make a big mistake, in my opinion: translating names.

some say that u have to translate, so u can pass the emotion of that name ( as in "Goldmoon" to "Lua Dourada")

others say that u have to keep it original.

whats your opinion about name translation?

thanks in advance!!!
This is a question of personal preference, and of names that have a real meaning. Some gamers prefer the more exotic untranslated names, while others find their equivalent in their own language has greater verisimilitute. As for me, I like the exotic sounding character names as long as they are pronouncable and seem to fit the persons. Otherwise, the translated name works better, as it enables relation to the story without jarring the mind with something that seems incongrous.

So, whatever you prefer is best.

Cheers,
Spearman (Gary)

grodog

Hero
As Guest of Honor for next year's GenCon, Gary, will you be hosting any special seminars/panels/retrospectives/etc.? It's been a few years since you were at GenCon, much less such a prestigious anniversary event :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases