TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Thulcondar said:
Heh, I'll be sure not to mention that to my wife, who is IRL a pagan witch. Oh, the rants I hear every time Wizard of Oz comes on... ;)

I like your take on witches/warlocks; I was fooling around with ideas revolving around herbalism mixed with spellcraft and so forth, but it never really jelled. Any tips on how you would approach your vision of witches and warlocks in a 1st Ed. AD&D setting? Ordinary magic-users who enter into a pact with the denizens of the Lower Planes, and at certain levels gain new abilities in return? Or a new class unto itself?

Thulcondar
:confused:

Witches really have nothing do do with modern Wiccan beliefs, something that was formulated in the last century supposedly based on Druidical paratices. As the Romans absolutely wipes out every vestage of Druidism, there is nothing of that old pagan religion to use in forming a new one save a few names.

Anyway, witches in the meddle ages were definately Satanists bent on doing the malign. That is my model for witches and warlocks in the RPG. I would certainly make it a separate class. The background for it is detailed and complex, so I again suggest regerencing the Mythus game treatment of them or else the LA game system's optional sourcebook, Shamanism & Witchery, the latter being more easily translated into AD&D mechanics. BTW, there are four sorts of Shamans, and one is near to Wiccan.

Cheers,
Gary

Geoffrey

First Post
Gary, what is your opinion of:

1. Bob Bledsaw's old Judges Guild FRPG stuff

and

2. Dave Hargrave's old Arduin stuff?

Did you ever use much of either in your campaign?

Last edited:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Geoffrey said:
Gary, what is your opinion of:

1. Bob Bledsaw's old Judges Guild FRPG stuff

and

2. Dave Hargrave's old Aruin stuff?

Did you ever use much of either in your campaign?
I have nothing very positive to say, so I shall say very little.

Some of the JG stuff was useful...

Arduin Gromoire had no redeaming features that I could discover.

Cheers,
Gary

Wolv0rine

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
:p

Nah! That's Jim Ward when GMing his MA campaign :lol:

BTW, Joe from Seattle and a friend of his from the East Coast did visit here last year, and we gamed a bit, so it isn't as if travelers aren't welcome to come by :cool:

Cheers,
Gary
Oh, never let it be said I spoke ill of your hospitality to travelling gamers, good sir. It's my ability to travel I disparage. :)

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Wolv0rine said:
Oh, never let it be said I spoke ill of your hospitality to travelling gamers, good sir. It's my ability to travel I disparage. :)
:D

And I am just encouraging you to come by if and when you are in the vicinity of Chicago-Milwaukee-Rockford, IL-Madison, WI :cool:

Cheers,
Gary

Wolv0rine

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
:D

And I am just encouraging you to come by if and when you are in the vicinity of Chicago-Milwaukee-Rockford, IL-Madison, WI :cool:

Cheers,
Gary
Now why didn't I get these kinds of offers when I was still living in Ohio? :) But I'll make sure to remember it next time I have the chance. If I'm really lucky, I might be able to bring a gift of merlot or guiness.

Xyanthon

First Post
Colonel,

Greetings from Okinawa, Japan! I just wanted to chime in with the others and say thanks for the 25 or so years of gaming you have given me. Your works have been a constant source of inspirtation and have fuled my imagination like nothing else. I can't wait to introduce my son Bear (he's 2 1/2) to the hobby when he gets older. He is already highly fascinated with dragons so I think he's off to a good start!

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Hiya Poppa G!

I wondered if you might be able to make it down to the next Chicago Gameday?

http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=172893

There's still a slot open in the morning (there's always one available for you, of course) and I'd love to revisit my youthful days of 1974 with a game of OD&D, if you'd be so kind as to run one. Aside from the gaming, if I can sweeten the pot, I'd like to offer breakfast and/or lunch to compensate you for the drive down and the gas involved (might be $5 a gallon by then!) Anyway, you'd make an old, but young at heart, gamer's dream come true if you could swing it. I played in the D&D Opens in those early Gencon days in Lake Geneva, Parkside, and the Mecca but never was lucky enough to draw you as the DM. (I'm sure the whole gang at Games Plus would also enjoy seeing you once again, too.)

Thanks and hope to hear good news!

As always,
Mark

Col_Pladoh said:
As I mentioned, freeing captves is at least as beneficial as killing adversaries, so that is the justification for an XP award. The logic is in the same vein as awarding them for the casting of a spell that aids the party even though it doesn't necessarily harm any of its opponents or gain treasure.

How you do feel about xp awards for other "do the right thing" scenarios? After a very LONG adventure (slow over email!), I was thinking of toying with the idea of rewards for such things as I've listed below. Do you think these are worthy or unworthy, oh great sage of gaming?

Note: Some spoilers, but I won't tell the module I used.

- Immediate correct hunch as to the bizarre problem in a village, but without acting on it because the hunch didn't seem possible to the players.
- Using a skill to understand bizarre magic talk the villain was using to distract them. Basically, I gave them a speech about particle physics, and the character came back with, "Yes, but did you check for fuzzy quarks for 11th dimension neutron fluctuations". something like on a modified 30+ roll on a D20. The PC's didn't put anything together from this, though it did related to the plot, but everyone thought it was cool at the time.
- Using a skill to figure out some accounting records didn't make sense and were probably fake. Again, the PC's did well -- sneaking in to get the records and figuring them out -- but they couldn't figure out what was behind it.
- Surviving traps they set off accidentally.
- Disabling traps using clever ideas rather than thief skills.
- Convincing a carytid column to let them pass, by using knowledge of its maker and the correct ancient languages, including druidic. I figure full XP as if it was defeated in combat?
- In a single combat fight of honor with an ancient nonevil undead, conceding and winning the info you wanted from him and his respect, by bashing the heck out of each other with a high damage hit each round, until you were both one blow from destruction. I figure 1/2 xp for not actually winning.
- Fighting a ghost who wanted to kill an NPC to a standstill, forcing it to retreat because it could do no more, but not destroying it. I figure maybe 1/2 or 1/3 xp?
- Figuring out a ghost is a good guy.
- Finding the ghosts remains and properly burying them, thus freeing the ghost to go to its eternal reward. I figure the remaining xp up to its full value is about right, but maybe a little high?
- Knocking out and capturing an enemy. I figure full xp.
- Recovering friendly bodies and disposing of them properly. I figure no xp.
- Parlaying with an enemy (weird situation) and talking them into allying against the common enemy. I figure maybe full XP for the guy they initially parlayed with, and the leader?
- Combat in which 2/3 of the combatants were PCs, 1/3 friendlies, all similar levels. I figure 2/3 xp for the PC's.
- Combat with a really tough uberbaddy, who was basically toying with them, but when he took some hits and realized his plans were foiled by the destruction of his minions, decided to flee, getting away scot free with all his stuff. I figure something like 1/4 xp, or nothing?
- Rescuing from a burning building some records the fleeing uberbaddy was trying to burn, of no great value other than confirming the storyline and giving vague hints of future plotlines.
- Negotiating and intimidating a village into giving up allegiance to their previous, defeated ruler.
- "Nation building". Taking a village of folks that had no skills (basically blank slate minds for magical reasons) and hanging around for a month or so to feed them and teach them to farm and otherwise fend for themselves.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Wolv0rine said:
Now why didn't I get these kinds of offers when I was still living in Ohio? :) But I'll make sure to remember it next time I have the chance. If I'm really lucky, I might be able to bring a gift of merlot or guiness.
Welcome with or without potables ;)

The summer Lake Geneva Gaming Convention provides a fine excuse to travel here. I run the RPGs I Gm on my front porch too :lol:

Cheers,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases