TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Col_Pladoh said:
Fixation on a single aspect of the RPG form makes for tedious play to my thinking. All combat, all exploration, all yakking, all problem solving, all any single thing is downright dull. Balanced play is about half of the favored aspect, with the others having lesser time in the adventure session--sometimes hardly any, although they should then dominate a near-future session.

That said, virtually all CRPG play is nothing more than seek & destroy missions, or griefing. That is the main fact enabling me to point out that H&S play is the most popular.

The concentration on hack & slash in CRPG's may not be because it's preferred by players, but because it's easier to program impressively. The AI's in games -- RPG or strategy -- are pretty weak at interacting with player characters. Talking to another great power in Civilization or to a monster in Temple of Elemental Evil is pretty much on the level of 1970s text based games -- we're only 1 or 2 steps beyond 1970s tech in the "talkie" aspects, but way way beyond in graphical horsepower to display exciting, fast combat (compare to Moria to see the difference in what's essentially the same idea of combat).

I don't play World of Warcraft, but I wonder if anyone is doing yakking on there? I suspect not with NPC's, but possibly with each other.

As for problem solving, I find that annoying in most computer games, as it's usually the same old problem -- get the McGuffin to go with the other McGuffin to open the door/get the prize. Yawn.

But I'm glad that computer RPG's are so limited . . . it gives us an excuse to keep playing the real thing! :confused:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
haakon1 said:
The concentration on hack & slash in CRPG's may not be because it's preferred by players, but because it's easier to program impressively. The AI's in games -- RPG or strategy -- are pretty weak at interacting with player characters. Talking to another great power in Civilization or to a monster in Temple of Elemental Evil is pretty much on the level of 1970s text based games -- we're only 1 or 2 steps beyond 1970s tech in the "talkie" aspects, but way way beyond in graphical horsepower to display exciting, fast combat (compare to Moria to see the difference in what's essentially the same idea of combat).

I don't play World of Warcraft, but I wonder if anyone is doing yakking on there? I suspect not with NPC's, but possibly with each other.

As for problem solving, I find that annoying in most computer games, as it's usually the same old problem -- get the McGuffin to go with the other McGuffin to open the door/get the prize. Yawn.

But I'm glad that computer RPG's are so limited . . . it gives us an excuse to keep playing the real thing! :confused:
:lol:

What you say about programmig is true, but shooters and martial arts fighting games that don't pretend to be RPGs at all are just as popular.

Seek and destroy is unpretentious, easy, fun, and offers immediate rewards. that is why it is and will remain the most popular game form...outside of gambling, card games such as bridge, and chess.

Cheers,
Gary

gideon_thorne

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
Seek and destroy is unpretentious, easy, fun, and offers immediate rewards. that is why it is and will remain the most popular game form...outside of gambling, card games such as bridge, and chess.

And even gambling has a bit of seek and destroy in it. Since one is seeking to destroy someone elses money pile. :lol:

DungeonMaester

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
No opposotion in my statement at all methinks...

Fixation on a single aspect of the RPG form makes for tedious play to my thinking. All combat, all exploration, all yakking, all problem solving, all any single thing is downright dull. Balanced play is about half of the favored aspect, with the others having lesser time in the adventure session--sometimes hardly any, although they should then dominate a near-future session.

That said, virtually all CRPG play is nothing more than seek & destroy missions, or griefing. That is the main fact enabling me to point out that H&S play is the most popular.

No need to concern yourself about typos in my case :lol:

Cheers,
Gary

Dear Gary, Father of the game:

My campaigns are 99% Politicial intruge, which is my favorite concidering it offers a little bit of everything, with my favorite plot twist. I have a Emphisis on role playing though, becuase people forget that D&D isnt about playing a Barbarian who can do 4d6+ 8 damage at first level. Its gets to the point where the players will use the terms like 'Bab" and 'HD' and such in game, where such terms dont exist.

Second and lastly, I wasn't looking for a condriction in your words, just fishing for a personal idea other then the liberal 'Play D&D and have fun'

Sorry for any typos in adavance.
---Rusty

(P.S.- 'Sorry for any typos in adavnace' is a common theme in all my post, not just this one.)

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
gideon_thorne said:
And even gambling has a bit of seek and destroy in it. Since one is seeking to destroy someone elses money pile. :lol:
Hadn't considered that, but there is some validity to the assertion. The main motivator is getting something for nothing but gaming, of course.

OTOH, serious chess play is certainly a seek & destroy exercise, each opponent aiming to to that to the other.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
DungeonMaester said:
Dear Gary, Father of the game:

My campaigns are 99% Politicial intruge, which is my favorite concidering it offers a little bit of everything, with my favorite plot twist. I have a Emphisis on role playing though, becuase people forget that D&D isnt about playing a Barbarian who can do 4d6+ 8 damage at first level. Its gets to the point where the players will use the terms like 'Bab" and 'HD' and such in game, where such terms dont exist.

Second and lastly, I wasn't looking for a condriction in your words, just fishing for a personal idea other then the liberal 'Play D&D and have fun'

Sorry for any typos in adavance.
---Rusty

(P.S.- 'Sorry for any typos in adavnace' is a common theme in all my post, not just this one.)
Heh...

All well and good, but...

The D&D game IS about hack & slash if the participants so desire, just as it is about political intregue if that is the desired emphasis by the group playing the game. Game is the principal operative word in RPG ;) Whatever pleases the group is correct for them.

Cheers,
Gary

DungeonMaester

First Post
Deary Gary,

I think there is still a little bit of confusion between you and I. By political intruqe campain, it would be the total overview of the game. In this type, Pcs will find them selves working for a/many kings or factions, who give them orders and they do what ever it was the orders are.

In a session, I keep a balanace of role playing and fighting in a session, not matter whwat the session is, becuase all talking or al fighting is borning, so its about a 50/50. Its hard to do online though. The larger plots are about politics, betrayals and
rebelions and war.

Sorry for any typos in advance.

---Rusty :confused:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
DungeonMaester said:
Deary Gary,

I think there is still a little bit of confusion between you and I. By political intruqe campain, it would be the total overview of the game. In this type, Pcs will find them selves working for a/many kings or factions, who give them orders and they do what ever it was the orders are.

In a session, I keep a balanace of role playing and fighting in a session, not matter whwat the session is, becuase all talking or al fighting is borning, so its about a 50/50. Its hard to do online though. The larger plots are about politics, betrayals and
rebelions and war.

Sorry for any typos in advance.

---Rusty :confused:
Not to be concerned.

Your manner of Game Mastering is not in question, and how you do that doesn't affect what I said about what aspects of the RPG are usual in a play session, how several should be icluded.

I would qualify what you stated by saying it was a choice of play mode leading to varied RPG activity by your group :D

Cheers,
Gary

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Col_Pladoh said:
Boz,

How I missed your post is a mystery to me.

So is the name of that corporation. One should keep an eye on it and have a hand in what it doea... :eek:

Cheers,
Gary

just remember, gary: vecna cares... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases