TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Thulcondar said:
It does indeed have the hand-written note. Jim Lurvey was kind enough to send me a .pdf of the article. Ah, innocent days of yore.

Thul
Well,

Quoting Bugs Bunny, "Ain't I a stinker?"

:lol:
Gary

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
I'm trying out a paladin in the original Temple of Elemental Evil, and am having a good time with both the module and the concept of the lawful good man who rides into an area beset by evil to cleanse it. Especially since my paladin isn't stuck in the latest canon. We have four characters that all worship Pelor: a cleric, a monk, my paladin, and the thief who really only worships Pelor because he wants to hang out with our group and get a share of that treasure.

My paladin is a worshipper of Pelor, and he's a rough-and-ready type. He doesn't wear polished armor since he likes to try to sneak up on the enemy, if able, and he carries a battle-axe instead of the typical sword. Although he doesn't practice it, he tolerates shadier dealings such as his companions enjoyment of ladies-of-the-night, since it isn't against the law to do so. Also, he recently allowed the thief to take control of a large pirate boat we just captured in Nulb in order to convert it into a future floating guildhouse. This came about because we were supposed to question the pirate captain about the entrance to the temple, but my character couldn't take any more of the man's boasting of his evil deeds and all hell broke loose...(along with the DM's script). He did make the rogue promise to focus his guild on trading and the infiltration of evil organizations, and not stealing from the good locals, however. Now to the big moral question...

We used to make an effort to take those that surrendered to us and bring them to Hommlet for imprisonment and trial, but they would either be released due to corrupt guards, or people on the outside would slay the guards and free them. The good people were frightened of the more corrupt ones in their midst, making a trial impossible.

After a few incidents, my paladin came up with a solution. He has a speech ready when he enters a room full of low-lifes or when humanoids surrender after a few rounds of combat. It goes like this: "Gentlemen, you have three choices. First, you may surrender yourselves to me and I will place you under arrest in our fortress (converted Moat House now made into a fortress/temple to Pelor). There you will receive food and a cell to rest in, but will have no trial until we have cleansed this land of evil. This may be a long time, but afterwards you will be tried by the good people of Hommlet. Your second option is to agree to repent your evil ways and convert to Pelor. You will still be kept in a cell, but we will see to your religious education and free you when we are confident that you have seen Pelor's light (by using Detect Evil and testing their knowledge of Pelor). Finally, I can judge you here and now. I warn you that my judgement is harsh, and it will most likely end with your execution. You will have your say, and if I deem you guilty, I will allow you an hour to pray to your god before giving you the axe. What do you choose?"

So far I have had a lot of surrenders, one conversion, and one execution. The execution shocked the party. I put the river pirate captain on trial and his only verbal defense (after he asked for the trial) was to spit at me. So I had him locked in his cabin to pray for an hour, drug him out to the edge of his vessel, tied him down, and told him to say his last prayers to his sea god and asked if he had any last requests. He asked to be thrown into the sea he loved, and we had a short dialogue of mutual respect, before I gave him a moment to make his prayer, chopped his head off, and kicked both pieces of his body into the river.

The rest of the players stared wide-eyed and thought it a very un-paladin thing to do. Given the state of law in the area and the danger of keeping the really evil characters in the cells, the paladin thought it was for the best. The 'Three Choices' are now a running gag I use whenever I have the right opportunity with this character.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
I quite like the three choices. I personally do not find execution beneath a paladin, especially when it is done in such a lawful manner in such a lawless area. I think you did a fine job of roleplaying.

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
airwalkrr said:
I quite like the three choices. I personally do not find execution beneath a paladin, especially when it is done in such a lawful manner in such a lawless area. I think you did a fine job of roleplaying.

Thanks! I was trying to play a paladin that was 'true' to the paladin code, but against the stereotype.

Howdy Gary,

Col_Pladoh said:
Tenser was conned by a hill giant, and I tried to dupe several PCs into get-rich-quick wagers. Sadly for me, the regulars were all too canny after being burned by my various ploys, so...

I did, though, manage to con Robilar into entering a cave with a sleeping red dragon, the "helpful" thief that brought him to the place waiting outside until Robilar was well inside, then yelling "LOOK OUT!" at the top of his lungs. Unluckily for dragon and thief, Robilar offed both although he was near death at the conclusion of the fray.

My favorite con you pulled as a DM has to be Herb's research for Robilar in an effort to reach, Mars was it? I'll let you relate that story.

Futures Bright,

Paul

dcas

First Post
Deuce Traveler said:
Now to the big moral question...
I actually think that the sneakiness and toleration of fornication is much more out-of-character for a paladin-type than what you have described about surrender/conversion/execution (which is probably less "harsh" than typical mediaeval justice). In fact, it would probably not be out of character for the paladin to execute characters even after they convert to Pelor to prevent backsliding.

Btw, I believe the "lawful" in "lawful good" does not refer to laws as such, since laws can be unjust, but the elevation of the good of the group over that of the individual. IOW, a paladin might fight against laws permitting prostitution, etc., as being bad for society as a whole.

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
dcas said:
Btw, I believe the "lawful" in "lawful good" does not refer to laws as such, since laws can be unjust, but the elevation of the good of the group over that of the individual. IOW, a paladin might fight against laws permitting prostitution, etc., as being bad for society as a whole.

I agree about the morality, but I specifically asked the DM how open the institution of prostitution was in the game. He said it was both legal and widespread. I figured my paladin would not pursue it seeing it as somewhat morally shady, but not try to stop the other party members into engaging in the activity.

As for the sneaky stuff, we often go against enemies strong enough that a frontal attack is unwise.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Deuce Traveler said:
Gary, what were the more memorable paladins that you've seen played?
Heh,

There were only a few played in my campaign, but there were two that were remarkable,

That played by Don Arndt was the most cautious one I have ever experienced or heard of. His behavior was so remarkable that the Artifict, "Invulnerable coat of Arn" was created to jape at such play.

The most paladin-like PC in the campaign was played by Mark Ratner with Aylerach, a paragon of bravery and virtue. He was duped into freeing the demon Fraz-Urbluu from his prison in Greyhawk Castle, the delighted demon carrying both he and Erac back to his home in the Abyss as a reward. Sadly, both of Erac's Vorpal Blades alng with Aylerach's two-handed +5 Holy Avenger turned into useless bars of iron there. Although both PCS were reutrned to the PMP, neither was very pleased with me as their DM for that adventure.

:uhoh:
Gary

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Col_Pladoh said:
Heh,

There were only a few played in my campaign, but there were two that were remarkable,

That played by Don Arndt was the most cautious one I have ever experienced or heard of. His behavior was so remarkable that the Artifict, "Invulnerable coat of Arn" was created to jape at such play.

The most paladin-like PC in the campaign was played by Mark Ratner with Aylerach, a paragon of bravery and virtue. He was duped into freeing the demon Fraz-Urbluu from his prison in Greyhawk Castle, the delighted demon carrying both he and Erac back to his home in the Abyss as a reward. Sadly, both of Erac's Vorpal Blades alng with Aylerach's two-handed +5 Holy Avenger turned into useless bars of iron there. Although both PCS were reutrned to the PMP, neither was very pleased with me as their DM for that adventure.

:uhoh:
Gary

Ouch. Gary, what did those poor paladins ever do to you? And here I thought you enjoyed making that class. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases