TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Treebore

First Post
Gary,

Have you seen the EPIC RPG that came out last December? I think it complements well with your LA since they are also skills bassed. I also like how they made Guilds that you belong to the determining factor in what your "class" is. Anyways, as I read through their basic rule book I couldn't help but think how well ti would complement your LA material. To the point it is making me consider trying out a LA/EpicRPG blend as a possible replacement to C&C.

Skills based isn't as "simple" as C&C, but I can give up some simplicity if it gives me a rich world texture as trade.

EPIC RPG

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Col_Pladoh said:
When the WoG was completed, I decided to start a new campaign based on Oerth rather than continue using my generally undetailed paralleel earth setting. Thus I created the VoH, ToEE, Nulb and Stoink for nearby town adventures. As I had the whole envisioned from the start, there was a good deal of continuity in the end products. the Temple was meant to be the dungeon crawl base replacing Castle Greyhawk, and more levels would have been added, but...

Cheers,
Gary

Thanks, Gary. We haven't gotten into the Temple yet. We've been too busy picking on those Nulb criminals. :]

airwalkrr

Adventurer
I am about to start a new campaign based on Castle Greyhawk, but I will be play-testing my new 1e/3e hybrid system with ToEE, or at least with T1. (I am going through and doing conversion now. Interestingly, besides the fact that you have to add feats and skills, 1e and 3e are surprisingly more compatible than 2e and 3e.) ToEE has always been my favorite D&D adventure so I cannot wait to run a group of fresh meat through it. :)

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
SpiralBound said:
Thanks Gary,

That's well spoken and certainly echoes my feelings on the matter. I guess I am serious about it. I'm lucky in that the people I play with are older and more experienced, but I often hear of conversations with younger players that typify my above points. I think that the worst part of it all is that these players are being robbed of what I feel could be a fuller, more enjoyable roleplaying experience. To these players, D & D is more akin to playing a boardgame minus the board. Still, I guess if they're still having fun... I just think that they could be getting more out of it than they are.
What you say has much merit in my view.

It seems to me that such manner of play constricts the free reign of imagination, discourages creative problem solving, and stifles innovation. who says that the person pr persons that wrote a particular set of rules are so infallible that they overlooked nothing, made no errors? As a game designer of some experience, I certainly make no such claim.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Treebore said:
Gary,

Have you seen the EPIC RPG that came out last December? I think it complements well with your LA since they are also skills bassed. I also like how they made Guilds that you belong to the determining factor in what your "class" is. Anyways, as I read through their basic rule book I couldn't help but think how well ti would complement your LA material. To the point it is making me consider trying out a LA/EpicRPG blend as a possible replacement to C&C.

Skills based isn't as "simple" as C&C, but I can give up some simplicity if it gives me a rich world texture as trade.

EPIC RPG
Hi Treebore,

No, with all that I have to do there's precious little time to read/learn new RPGs. About the best I can do is play a new one if soeone here is up for GMing it. As for SEC, I most certainly concur with the designer(s) of the EPIC PRG. One's profession or vocation are the best means of setting the sec level, with knightly types, clerics, and possibly mages the only ones un the lower upper tier.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Deuce Traveler said:
Thanks, Gary. We haven't gotten into the Temple yet. We've been too busy picking on those Nulb criminals. :]
Sounds familiar.

My group spent a lot of time with adventures in Nulb and Stoink. That's another reason why I didn'd add more dungeon levels to the Temple...no need, as dungeon crawling was not paramount :lol:

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
airwalkrr said:
I am about to start a new campaign based on Castle Greyhawk, but I will be play-testing my new 1e/3e hybrid system with ToEE, or at least with T1. (I am going through and doing conversion now. Interestingly, besides the fact that you have to add feats and skills, 1e and 3e are surprisingly more compatible than 2e and 3e.) ToEE has always been my favorite D&D adventure so I cannot wait to run a group of fresh meat through it. :)
Okay, but...

I would urge you to keep Feats moderate and limited in number, balance them with idiosyncrasies of some sort so as to get away from the comic book superhero PC.

FWIW,
Gary

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
If I may add two cents, I also think the skill system can bog down gameplay. It seems everyone rolls for 'diplomacy' now instead of the DM judging that the conversation was roleplayed well enough to be successful.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Deuce Traveler said:
If I may add two cents, I also think the skill system can bog down gameplay. It seems everyone rolls for 'diplomacy' now instead of the DM judging that the conversation was roleplayed well enough to be successful.
I have found the opposite true in the Lejendary Adventure game, that using skill bundles, not single skills. Of course there could be abuse of the Ability, Pretense, if the LM allowed it as no more that a d% check rather than requiring at least a modicum of roleplaying.

Cheers,
Gary

DestroyYouAlot

First Post
Hi, Gary. I've actually had question or two I've been dying to ask.

Ed Greenwood: What's your opinion of his original work on the Forgotten Realms - i.e., the setting up until the point that TSR bought it (summed up in the "grey box" campaign set)? And, had things gone differently (i.e., had you stayed with the company and remained with a modicum of control), would you have purchased/licensed a new campaign world, whether his or another one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads