TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Mark CMG said:
Naturally, the humorous quip about how they refer to themselves follows a line about how they refer to themselves. It would otherwise be non sequiturious, if I may wax Gygaxian. So, as I said, it was a humorous quip. If you cannot take me at my word . . .
Which does not in any way counter my observation that your comment would logically be viewed as supporting the one immediately prior to it in regards barbarians. After all, who cares who refers to whom as a barbarian? The context was entirely different and quite accurate in regards civilized organization and lack thereof in military performance.

That said, I did not question your veracity in regards the spirit in which you made the comment, only explained why I responded as I did ;)

You have some better days than others, it would seem, as do we all.
That, sir, is a judgement that is perforce highly subjective. I am never overly tolerant of banalities, as they waste my time and others as well.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh said:
That is ex post facto, Henry, not to mention some judge fudging with the ent :mad:

Sounds like hocus pocus to me . . .

Though perhaps this is not the best time to attempt to launch a pun-like celebration of lingua latina as it has seeped into our barbaric tongue? :p

Last edited:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
ghul said:
So,

How 'bout dem Bears, Gary? Good defense this year, and that Urlacher is a monster!

--Ghul :cool:
Indeed! :D

The real test comes tomorrow aganst those rotten Vikings :lol: I am relatively sure that the Bears will win, but I am hoping for a shutout or a low score 3, 6, or 7 points for the Viks :]

It was a shame that the Lions managed to get a touchdown... :mad:

:lol: As if I got paid for Bears wins.

Cheers,
Gary

Elfdart

Banned
Banned
Col_Pladoh said:
Indeed! :D

The real test comes tomorrow aganst those rotten Vikings :lol: I am relatively sure that the Bears will win, but I am hoping for a shutout or a low score 3, 6, or 7 points for the Viks :]

It was a shame that the Lions managed to get a touchdown... :mad:

:lol: As if I got paid for Bears wins.

Cheers,
Gary

That knucklehead wideout for the Lions promised 40 points last week and guaranteed a victory over the Bears! :lol:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Elfdart said:
That knucklehead wideout for the Lions promised 40 points last week and guaranteed a victory over the Bears! :lol:
I have learned from bitter experience not to attempt to prognosticate future events... :uhoh:

Cheers,
Gary

Ron

Explorer
Col_Pladoh said:
Pfui!

As your "quip" was posted immediately following Ron's:

It seemed something less than humorous, rather more akin to a seconding of the questionable observation.

As for lacking or losing a sense of humor, I put up with all this, don't I?

:eek:
Gary

My intention was humour, but I missed placing a smile. Still, I don't think any society would be able to interpret itself as good or evil. That said, I agree that Roman legions were very organized, and thus lawful, compared to most of their opponents.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Ron said:
My intention was humour, but I missed placing a smile. Still, I don't think any society would be able to interpret itself as good or evil. That said, I agree that Roman legions were very organized, and thus lawful, compared to most of their opponents.
:cool:

In historical terms you are spot on when assert that no society would be able, or willing, to interpret its mores as those of malign sort. This is clearly not the case in fantasy--be it mythology, folklore, fairy tailes, or authored fiction. When a state is based on the worship of and service to evil entities, then there can be no doubt that it defines itself as evil ;)

Cheers,
Gary

Last edited:

Ron

Explorer
Col_Pladoh said:
:cool:

In historical terms you are spot on when assert that no society would be able, or willing, to interpret its mores as those of malign sort. This is clearly not the case in fantasy--be it mythology, folklore, fairy tailes, or authored fiction. When a state is based on the worship of and service to evil entities, then there can be no doubt that it defines itself as evil ;)

Cheers,
Gary

Nice try but wouldn't you agree that some real world politicians positions or alliances are quite close to service to evil entities? :) I am pretty sure that some of the clearly evil men of history thought they were just using extreme methods to extreme situations but, still, they were working toward the greater good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases