TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnRTroy

Adventurer
If you didn't see my post in the other thread, I visited him last Thursday. Overall, he's doing pretty darn well, but he's just tired. The shingles have mostly cleared up but he still has a "droopy eye". He's just fatigued. Maybe after the holidays he'll be back here.

He's already started posting a few links to political "rants" on the talk list, so slowly but surely he's getting better! ;)

EvilPheemy

First Post
Unashamed Geekery and ring kissing to follow.

It's certainly become difficult to ask you a fresh question considering there's 12 threads and Lord only Knows how many articles, interviews, and essays out there. My 8 year old son received from Santa-Dad his first copy of Dungeons and Dragons this year.

I'm currently preparing a few of the old classic modules like Keep on the Borderlands, and Palace of the Silver Princess to send him and his friends through.

Having introduced your own children to the hobby, do you have any advice, anecdotes or warnings for me?

khyron1144

First Post
Grandfather of Assassins

Gary,
I don't know what the likelihood of a response is, but I am curious about a matter concerning world design and thought a consult with one of the masters would be wise.

How badass should a world's Grandfather of Assassins be? Should they be tough but beatable in case of PC assassins aspiring to that rank? Or is a mortal just shy of being a demigod about right?

I ask because I had a concept for my own world's grandfather of assassins. It's under 1st edition AD&D rules, although bent to take some house concepts into account. The character is human in origin but has been exposed to several magical pools which exist on my world and are availabe to PCs that can find them. They have granted him exceptional power (attributes improved permanently as if by massive number of wishes by 3d4) and long life (reset physical age to young adulthood (around 16 for humans by my world's definitions) and subsequent aging at a slowed one for ten rate (including magical aging (but still with a chance of instant death for magical aging)). He has used this power and long life to dual-class in a major way (Assassin 15/ Wizard 29/ Fighter 30). Seeing the stats spelled out like that he looks like at least as much of an unholy powerful DMPC as Elminster.

I have one other question: who do I thank for the nomenclature of polearms appendix in Unearthed Arcana? I found it very useful for my game. I came in at 2nd edition where most of those polearms were in the rulebook but had so little description I found them hard to visualize.

I have said it before but let me say it again: thank you for a wonderful game and the many years of entertainement I have derived from it.

Thanks,
JustiN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases