TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Korgoth said:
A question for you, Gary:

In B2 Keep on the Borderlands we have examples of humanoid habitation that resemble primitive life: a family/clan dwelling in a cave, complete with 'women and children'. The question of how to handle humanoid women and children still comes up today. What was the rationale for including females and young rather than, say, making humanoids some sort of sui generis products of nightmare, witchery or divine intervention/retribution, like (presumably, at least) a minotaur?
Well...

The JRRT treatment of orcs sort of hatching from inexplicable cocoons seemed quite too fantastic to me. Of course there are special monsters created my magic of some sort, and in the Lejendary Adventure game I have androids created in vats by an alien race. However, it seems quite reasonable to me that most monsters breed as do animals and humans. I have some females fight as do males, others at a lesser capacity, some non-combatant. Immature members of the species might fight at half value, or be non-combatant, or a mix of the two.

Having tribal organization for most humanoid monsters makes adventure scenarios more colorful and believable, IMO.

Cheers,
Gary

Henry

Autoexreginated
Col_Pladoh said:
I have some females fight as do males, others at a lesser capacity, some non-combatant. Immature members of the species might fight at half value, or be non-combatant, or a mix of the two.

That said, have you ever given an opinion on the "Paladin vs. an Orc Baby" scenario before? (Otherwise known as the "would you strangle baby Hitler?" moral question.)

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Henry said:
That said, have you ever given an opinion on the "Paladin vs. an Orc Baby" scenario before? (Otherwise known as the "would you strangle baby Hitler?" moral question.)
Not directly.

If the infant orc was not able to reason, the paladin would not slay it, possibly see to its care somewhere until it reached a state where reason was possible; but if and when the immature humanoid was able to reason, the paladin would make it swear its rejection of evil, confess its adherance to LG, and then execute it before it could recant. Thus the orc would be guaranteed acceptence in a more benign afterlife.

Cheers,
Gary

rossik

Explorer
Col_Pladoh said:
the paladin would make it swear its rejection of evil, confess its adherance to LG, and then execute it before it could recant. Thus the orc would be guaranteed acceptence in a more benign afterlife.

wow....that really changed my point of view about paladins...very good :D

but in the other questiom, about turning evil dragons to good, the dagon would take much more time to reason, no?

would he kill in instants a red dragon?

(btw, love the info about he footlocker!)

robertsconley

Adventurer
Col_Pladoh said:
Well...

The JRRT treatment of orcs sort of hatching from inexplicable cocoons seemed quite too fantastic to me.

In the books Orcs are twisted versions of Elves and with Man mixed in later by Saruman. In the movies we see orcs emerging from cocoons. I suppose this is Jackson's way of showing the twisting process used by Saruman used to produce his superior breed of orcs.

Rob Conley

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
rossik said:
wow....that really changed my point of view about paladins...very good :D

but in the other questiom, about turning evil dragons to good, the dagon would take much more time to reason, no?

would he kill in instants a red dragon?

(btw, love the info about he footlocker!)
Good Afternooon,

Note that the "converted" evil humanoid" is quite unlikely to remain so, will return to its evil ways, so thus the mercy killing by the paladin to assure that doesn't happen. It is all for the good of the subject of course.

The same surely holds true of evil dragons. A permanent conversion from the malign is most unlikely, the best outcome likely being a neutral creature with evil tendencies. Thus I hold that a paladin will attack on sight any evil monster of that sort...assuming he believes there is a reasonable chance of prevailing. Otherwise, the paladin will mark the location to return with a stronger force.

As for Footlocker nagic items, the class in a new, Grade 13 one, and it contains four progressively more powerful versions of the item. The most potent is reminescent of Luggage. :lol:

Cheers,
Gary

Last edited:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
robertsconley said:
In the books Orcs are twisted versions of Elves and with Man mixed in later by Saruman. In the movies we see orcs emerging from cocoons. I suppose this is Jackson's way of showing the twisting process used by Saruman used to produce his superior breed of orcs.

Rob Conley
Heh...

And how was the "twisting" managed? Seems that the popping out of cocoons is as good an answer as any to this untreated question. There is no question about there being mom, pop, sis, and junior orcs in JRRT's work.

BTW is elves are so siperior to humans, as they are in JRRT's world, why would mixing in humans with once-elven orcs make a superior breed. Logically in the Middle Earth milieu, the offspring of the two would be inferior to pure orcs, not superior Urok-hai.

Never mind :confused:

Gary

rossik

Explorer
hey mr gygax, i quite dont get the "Grade 13 one" part...whats that?

(oh, btw, i just read the 3 first vol. od discworld...but one is enough to love luggage (Bagagem, in portuguese).

do you think is a good idea to make "itens" as npc?

or thats just good for comic storys?

Henry

Autoexreginated
Col_Pladoh said:
Note that the "converted" evil humanoid" is quite unlikely to remain so, will return to its evil ways, so thus the mercy killing by the paladin to assure that doesn't happen. It is all for the good of the subject of course.

Of course there's that sticky problem of the paladin having now chopped down a publicly-declared "good" creature, but I have to admit I can appreciate the finality of the solution. :D

khyron1144

First Post
Hi Gary,
I apologize, if this has been asked before, but were any of the unique monsters in the orginal Monster Manual 2 intended to be lesser deities as the Deities and Demigods cyclopedia says the Archdevils and Demon Princes and Princes of Elemental Evil are?

In my campaign, I've always gone with the assumption that any unique monster from one of the 1e hardbacks that's tagged with the label Archdevil or Demon Prince is a lesser deity, as are the Princes of Elemental Evil, The Cat Lord, Anthraxus, and Primus is a deity.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases