TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Jdvn1 said:
Was this too open-ended a question? :uhoh:
Heh, ot was one O noted to get back to but skipped because in my heart I was against writing an essay here :lol:

In a nutshell:

The original games of D&D and AD&D were about imagination, choosing an archetype to use as a vehicle for role-playing adventure, innovative play and PC group cooperation. The sole arbiter of such play was the DM, and rules lawyers were anethma in well-regulated grpups :]

Cheers,
Gary

RigaMortus2 said:
I think it would be great if you were a guest on the Colbert Report (since he is a D&D fan).

A consummation devoutly to be wished, to quote the Bard.

Let's make him come to you!

Last edited:

dcas said:
Yes, the good Professor (thankfully) left many questions about the breeding of orcs unanswered. Certain characters in the books put forth theories, but we never know whether these theories are their own or those of the narrator! It really adds to the sense of mystery (the movies unfortunately don't have any mystery about them

My friend the Tolkien expert says that somewhere in his letters, Tolkien answered the question about orcs true origins. Alas, I fail to recall what the answer was, but I believe it somehow pointed out that Morgoth was not capable of true original creation (only corruption), but also said the orcs were not corrupted elves. Ah, beats me, other than he answered it somewhere.

Korgoth

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
The original games of D&D and AD&D were about imagination, choosing an archetype to use as a vehicle for role-playing adventure, innovative play and PC group cooperation. The sole arbiter of such play was the DM, and rules lawyers were anethma in well-regulated grpups :]

A noble sentiment indeed, and the proper guiding principle of the D&D game. If only it was more popularly accepted.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Col_Pladoh said:
Heh, ot was one O noted to get back to but skipped because in my heart I was against writing an essay here :lol:
If you do ever get to that essay, let us know! :)
Col_Pladoh said:
In a nutshell:

The original games of D&D and AD&D were about imagination, choosing an archetype to use as a vehicle for role-playing adventure, innovative play and PC group cooperation. The sole arbiter of such play was the DM, and rules lawyers were anethma in well-regulated groups :]
Current D&D, I think, is still a vehicle for role-playing adventure, innovative play, and PC group cooperation. (Though, I have no basis on which to compare any matter of degree) Were rules lawyers nonexistant in OD&D? If so, was this due to fewer or less precise rules, newness of the game, or some other factor?

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Korgoth said:
A noble sentiment indeed, and the proper guiding principle of the D&D game. If only it was more popularly accepted.
There is a simple answer to that. Allow only those willing to accept the concept into your campaign, play only with GMs that hold to that principle. I have no problem doing this myself.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Jdvn1 said:
If you do ever get to that essay, let us know! :)
Current D&D, I think, is still a vehicle for role-playing adventure, innovative play, and PC group cooperation. (Though, I have no basis on which to compare any matter of degree) Were rules lawyers nonexistant in OD&D? If so, was this due to fewer or less precise rules, newness of the game, or some other factor?
Of the more recent versions of the game I have played only 3E. It is rules intensive, removes the "Master" from Dungeon Master, has no archetypes left, encourages the players to compete for dominance, devalued magic items, and substitutes statutes in the rules for innovation.

That's the way I see it.

Cheers,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases