TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Ron

Explorer
Col_Pladoh said:
You might want to take a look at the Repute/Dark Repute/Disrepute system used for the LA game, apply something akin to it to the Occidental PCs.

Cheers,
Gary

I checked out the free version last month and I almost brought the boxed set. However, I decided to give a pass and wait to the updated full version soon to be published by the Trolls. BTW, do you have any news regarding the revision?

Speyburn is another decent entry-level scotch. I'm partial to The Macallan, but I also enjoy Glenlivet, The Dalmore, Cragganmore, and Glenmorangie. I decently aged Glenfiddich isn't bad, either. I take them neat, with a tiny splash (just a few drops, really) of distilled or spring water. In a snifter, please. :cool:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
RFisher said:
What is the most common mistake you've see Dungeon Masters, Lejend Masters, Castle Keepers, &c. make?
Being improperly prepared to run the adventure, whether mentally so or not having studied the packaged material. This is something I am often guilty of, but amny times I manage to make up for the lack through being able to create by the seat of my pants...and sometimes falling flat doing so I resort to distracting the group with war stories and jokes :heh:

The second most common mistake I have observed is the Gm not being in control of the game play and the group. Sometimes even the most veteran and cooperative players will go rogue on the best of GMs, however. At such times ceasing PRGing and doing something else that all find amusing is the best solution for the GM...no attempting to forcethe players to do what they are not interested in doing :eek:

Cheers,
Gary

What is your favourite real-world mythology? I mean in the sense of Greek, Norse, etc.

As a follow-up, what mythology lends itself best as inspiration for D&D?

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
rossik said:
hi mr gygax!

i was wondering:
besides "Futurama", have u appeared in other cartoon/series?

it would be great if u were (sp?) in dungeons and dragons cartoon.. ;)

well...if margaret weis and tracy hickamn have special part in the dragonlance movie, so could u!

sure, if we could travel back in time... :(
Heh,

No other formal cartoon appearances, but... Just as D&D is often mentioned in TV shows, so too has my name been used--expecially in Dexter's Lab.

Having my name as a Co-Producer for the D&D Cartoon Show was ample recognition for me.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Ron said:
I checked out the free version last month and I almost brought the boxed set. However, I decided to give a pass and wait to the updated full version soon to be published by the Trolls. BTW, do you have any news regarding the revision?
If you would like to see my draft rules regarding the repute system, send me an email.

All i know about the revised edition of the LA game is that the Trolls have said it will be published as soon as they are able.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Fifth Element said:
What is your favourite real-world mythology? I mean in the sense of Greek, Norse, etc.

As a follow-up, what mythology lends itself best as inspiration for D&D?
Egyptian mythology for its plethora of deities and its underworld. Next comes Hindic for its array of strange deities and the many stories.

I designed D&D with little regard for mythology; more for folklore, legend, and authored fiction.

Cheers,
Gary

rossik

Explorer
Col_Pladoh said:
Heh,

No other formal cartoon appearances, but... Just as D&D is often mentioned in TV shows, so too has my name been used--expecially in Dexter's Lab.

Having my name as a Co-Producer for the D&D Cartoon Show was ample recognition for me.

Cheers,
Gary

oh, dexter, realy?

...can u say where? :)

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
rossik said:
oh, dexter, realy?

...can u say where? :)
There were a number of AD&Dgame references on various episodes of the program, and IIRR Decter said he was playing a Gygax class character oe some similar reference. I was informed that a number of persons of young age that watched the program regularly and know me got a real kick out of that.

Cheers,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases