TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
:lol:

The Dexter's Lab' FRPG cartoon was actually quite promising, more like what I would have preferred to the soft D&D Cartoon Show action with no immitatable violence because of kiddie programming restrictions. What sort of wimps is this country now nuturring? :\

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh said:
:lol:

The Dexter's Lab' FRPG cartoon was actually quite promising, more like what I would have preferred to the soft D&D Cartoon Show action with no immitatable violence because of kiddie programming restrictions. What sort of wimps is this country now nuturring? :\

Cheers,
Gary

That is true, I can't recall how many bloody-handed stories from history and mythology and religion I read up on as a child, but the cartoons? Bloodless. Then again, my mom's from Japan so I got a line to watch Japanese cartoon and there it all was. Violence, blood, guts...for kids! And they have a lower crime rate! :p

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
RFisher said:
I'm fortunate that my group gets distracted by their own stories & jokes readily enough. (^_^) If I need time to think, I just let them go with the occasional nod or laugh to make them think I'm listening instead of scrambling to figure things out. (Not that they're truly fooled...)

But what if I'm not using packaged material? If I'm striving to follow "the Gygaxian school", when do I know that I've adequately prepared?

Quoting from an earlier response about building a world instead of a story...

Can you expand on this a little? How detailed should the setting--at a minimum--be? What are the essential elements? Can you give a summary example of a "what is currently happening"?

I'm not sure I'm following. Can you give an example of what you mean?
To save me a lot of time and effort, just check how I introduce all of that in a module. I give a GM's forward, a players one, sometimes a separate backstory to read aloud, and the current situation.

Frankly, i have no desire to write an article here :lol:

Cheers,
Gary

RFisher

Explorer
Col_Pladoh said:
To save me a lot of time and effort, just check how I introduce all of that in a module. I give a GM's forward, a players one, sometimes a separate backstory to read aloud, and the current situation.

Frankly, i have no desire to write an article here :lol:

In my own defense, I did try to ask specific questions that I thought you could give brief answers for because I knew you didn't want to write an article. & while I have read many of your modules, many of the other things you've told us have convinced me that your published works don't always give me a clear idea of how you actually play. Plus, I figure B2 can't reflect any wisdom that's come to you in the intervening years.

& can you blame me for trying? (^_^) I'll go re-read your modules now. Thanks!

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
RFisher said:
In my own defense,...
:D

No need to do that, as I was not meaning to attack you. Sorry if I gave that impression. All I was attempting to convey is that your question was one that requires a lengthy answer, one that I did not feel like giving because actual examples tell the story much more eloquently than a brief essay here could...and that means a lot less work for me :lol:

Cheers,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases