TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Wolv0rine said:
Oh come on, Gary. I think you're just being grumpy there. You're leaving out the possibility that the players are simply not hooked by the DM's offered hook. Don't tell me you ('you' in the broad sense, not the specific) make a habit of going into games with only one hook to drop?
Heck, I've often pushed aside a not-quite-interesting plot hook hoping to find another behind it that was more interesting.
If you find such situations palatable, more enjoyment to you.

As for me, if I have gone to the trouble of preparing something for the group, they play it or else. The enjoyment of the campaign is a two way street, and that of the GM is equal to that of the player group, for he does all the grunt work to amuse them.

Now if it is just a seat-of-the-pants session, I have no problem shifting gears and dangling another carrot for the lads to chase after.

Cheers,
Gary

I think the "plot hook" thing becomes a non-issue as the DM gets used to the players, and vice versa. The DM learns how to focus on content which the players are likely to use, and as the players start to make sense of the game world and build familiarity with their characters, they'll start to come up with objectives of their own.

At that point it's down to communication. At the end of the session, the group discusses its objectives for next session and hopefully agrees on a destination... and so the DM gets clued in: They're travelling to X-town, so I'll dig out my map of the Badlands of Y which are on the way, and I'd better bring the roster for Z's bandits...

If you're constantly starting new campaigns with different players, then I suppose you probably do have to be good at plot hooks. But in that case, surely the players with these new characters in this new world would be grateful for the railroad that drops them off at the most interesting stop on the tour...

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Col_Pladoh said:
If you find such situations palatable, more enjoyment to you.

As for me, if I have gone to the trouble of preparing something for the group, they play it or else. The enjoyment of the campaign is a two way street, and that of the GM is equal to that of the player group, for he does all the grunt work to amuse them.

Now if it is just a seat-of-the-pants session, I have no problem shifting gears and dangling another carrot for the lads to chase after.

Cheers,
Gary

Do you ever do some work fleshing out a couple hooks then dangle them all before the players so they can choose what path to go down?

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Flexor the Mighty! said:
Do you ever do some work fleshing out a couple hooks then dangle them all before the players so they can choose what path to go down?
:lol:

Most of the time I am GMing something other that a play-test of some module, I wing the whole adventure session, so the palyers are at complete liberty to do whatever their hearts desire. If it is something foolish, I enliven things a bit more than usual... :uhoh:

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh said:
Most of the time I am GMing something other that a play-test of some module, I wing the whole adventure session

Oh, that's interesting. When you say "wing", do you mean that much or most of it just comes out of your head as you go along? Or do you mean you lean primarily on your dice, your notes about the area and recycled encounters from other sessions? (I realise it'll probably be a mixture of the two, I'm asking about the emphasis.)

RFisher

Explorer
PapersAndPaychecks said:
At the end of the session, the group discusses its objectives for next session and hopefully agrees on a destination... and so the DM gets clued in: They're travelling to X-town, so I'll dig out my map of the Badlands of Y which are on the way, and I'd better bring the roster for Z's bandits...

But after a week to think about it, the players may have different thoughts about what they should do next than what they thought at the end of the last session.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
RFisher said:
But after a week to think about it, the players may have different thoughts about what they should do next than what they thought at the end of the last session.

Sure, but if they decide to do a complete 180 and go in a totally unexpected direction without any advance warning what is the DM supposed to do? I know I don't have 4 separate adventures planned for every contingency. I can always wing it decently enough, but there has to be some willingness of the players to try out what the DM has prepped. I'm lucky I guess in that my players don't really think about the game much outside of the game night so I can usually have a solid idea what they want to do from the last session.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
PapersAndPaychecks said:
Oh, that's interesting. When you say "wing", do you mean that much or most of it just comes out of your head as you go along? Or do you mean you lean primarily on your dice, your notes about the area and recycled encounters from other sessions? (I realise it'll probably be a mixture of the two, I'm asking about the emphasis.)
:cool:

Mainly off the top of my head. I rely on a map for general inspiration, but do not usually have any real notes at all, only pretend ones to make the players think the adventure has been planned. Of course my old-time regulars knew that wasn't the case, especially when they were returning to Greyhawk from the Land of Chin. as well as when dungeoneering, as all of them had seen the encounter notes page for one or more levels, single lines for each of 20 or so places on each level.

Dice assisted in that by indicating random encounters, what was encountered...if it fitted. Otherwise I would select the one that seemed right or make up something.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
RFisher said:
Just so!

And if the session was compellunbg, there will be a lot of thought between the end of that adventure chapter and the beginning of the next. I know that applies to me too :eek:

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Flexor the Mighty! said:
Sure, but if they decide to do a complete 180 and go in a totally unexpected direction without any advance warning what is the DM supposed to do? I know I don't have 4 separate adventures planned for every contingency. I can always wing it decently enough, but there has to be some willingness of the players to try out what the DM has prepped. I'm lucky I guess in that my players don't really think about the game much outside of the game night so I can usually have a solid idea what they want to do from the last session.
As a matter of fact...

As the leader of the player group in Jim Ward's Metamorphosis Alpha game campaign I just got an email this morning that urged me to a certain course of action because I had been ignoring the none-too-subtile hints given in the last session :lol:

Cheers,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads