TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
whoa, whoa, whoa!

Revised? Spill it Mr. Gygax, what does that mean? You better not be going Lucas on us. Did the Beggarking drop the chest on his own head now?

;)

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Col_Pladoh said:
Anyway, I saw the book advertised, so I'll order it. Thanks.

Cheerio,
Gary

No need to thank me. Hell, it's a hoot to recommend a book like "The Peshawar Lancers" to Gary Gygax, and find that he's actually read and enjoyed it! After all, your "recommended reading" list in the 1e DMG was pretty much my list of "must read" books for a long time. Heck, I just recently got around to finally reading William Hope Hodgson's "The Night Land." EDIT: I'd've sworn that was on the list...I thought I remembered you praising that book at one time...

And wait'll you read "The Sky People." Now there's a book tailor-made for a roleplaying game...

Last edited:

tylerthehobo

Explorer
Col_Pladoh said:
I co-wrote one gors short story with K. Bourgoine for Dragon magazine last year. We did another but it was turned down, and I haven't felt like doing a re-write.

Ah-whah?!? Wasn't the return of Gord story a huge hit in the magazine? I mean, at least the letters columns and boards were humming... You and K.R. Bourgoine did a great job with that one - I was hoping for more. I hope Paizo reconsiders and gets more of Gord back in circulation...

Sir Elton said:
Hardby isn't in any of my Greyhawk materials (The Adventure Begins, Player's Guide, Living Greyhawk Gazzateer). In what product can I find Harby?

All of them, I believe. Look under Wild Coast or Greyhawk City (which sadly, in later versions has taken over the Despotrix).

I believe it was also covered in an issue of Dungeon, but I seem to have misplaced it in a special place as it was more important than the run-of-the-mill issues. :confused: I believe it had a green cover, but I can't find mine.

Col_Pladoh said:
It is less constraining to create an adventure without attempting to make it such as the explanation for it will suit virtually all campaogns. That is a no-no these days, and an author is castigated for not treating GMs as unimaginative and non-creative clods whose hand must be hald at all times. Rather akin to how some think players' characters must be coddled in regards to perils in adventuring.

Nod, it's cruel to make people think, on either side of the DM screen. People were so unenlighted in ye olde days of 70's and 80's. :)

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Flexor the Mighty! said:
whoa, whoa, whoa!

Revised? Spill it Mr. Gygax, what does that mean? You better not be going Lucas on us. Did the Beggarking drop the chest on his own head now?

;)
:D

Slightly revised. I wanted to remove all the unnecessary violence and replace it with negotiation, acceptance of diversity, Gord hiring lawyers to avoid legal troubles, and peace at any price :lol:

Seriously, I just went through the original ms. and made a few grammatical corrections and even fewer text changes in order to make the story more clear. Anyway, never fear, I doubt that you'll notice.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
ColonelHardisson said:
No need to thank me. Hell, it's a hoot to recommend a book like "The Peshawar Lancers" to Gary Gygax, and find that he's actually read and enjoyed it! After all, your "recommended reading" list in the 1e DMG was pretty much my list of "must read" books for a long time. Heck, I just recently got around to finally reading William Hope Hodgson's "The Night Land." EDIT: I'd've sworn that was on the list...I thought I remembered you praising that book at one time...

And wait'll you read "The Sky People." Now there's a book tailor-made for a roleplaying game...
Well, thanks anyway ;)

I might have mentioned The Night Land, or House on the Borderland, in one of my rambling columns. Voth were rather...different sorts of fantasy offerings, rather in the vein of Algernon Blackwood's "The Willows."

As for the Peshwat Lancersm here is my entry for Chernobog from the Lejendary Pantheons ms.:

Chernobog (Cernobog, Crnobog, Czarnobog, Tzernoboch, Zcernoboch): 2nd Rank. (Pronounced Tzer-no boch.) The black, greater god of Evil, the Lord of all that is wicked and bad. He works always to undo any good that Byelobog has wrought. Chernobog is depicted as a squat man with dead-black skin who is dressed in black and iron.His likeness is his symbol. He is the master of the waning half of the year.

Servants: Pizamar, god of Greed.

Puruvid, god of Hatred.

Rinvid, god of Deceit.

Runvid, god of Treachery

Turipid, god of Envy.

Cheerio,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
tylerthehobo said:
Ah-whah?!? Wasn't the return of Gord story a huge hit in the magazine? I mean, at least the letters columns and boards were humming... You and K.R. Bourgoine did a great job with that one - I was hoping for more. I hope Paizo reconsiders and gets more of Gord back in circulation...
The reason was that the characters and dialog were not sufficiently "Gord-Like." That means that the tale needs a revision as to the key problem, how a new character is presented, and some punching-up of the dialog. Perhaps then it will get a nod from the Kindly Editor...

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
haakon1 said:
All of them, I believe. Look under Wild Coast or Greyhawk City (which sadly, in later versions has taken over the Despotrix).

I believe it was also covered in an issue of Dungeon, but I seem to have misplaced it in a special place as it was more important than the run-of-the-mill issues. :confused: I believe it had a green cover, but I can't find mine.
Whatever...

The original presentation of Hardby is found only in the original World of Greyhawk products ;)

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
haakon1 said:
Nod, it's cruel to make people think, on either side of the DM screen. People were so unenlighted in ye olde days of 70's and 80's. :)
Yes indeed.

It is over the top to actually place careless and unthinking PCs into situations where they will probably (GASP!) lose levels ot their very game life. Modules that suggest that careful consideration needs be used at certain critical junctures are "old school," and any DM that dares to create such hazards on his own is obviously unenlightened and cruel, a killer DM...as if the brain cells of those that find challenges in play unacceptable were not already resting in peace :lol:

Cheerio,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases