Q&A with Gary Gygax - Page 721
  1. #7201
    Father of the Game
    Ancient Red Dragon (Lvl 30)

    Col_Pladoh's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Lake Geneva, WI
    Posts
    4,756
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Block Col_Pladoh


    Friend+
    Wonderful weather considering global warming...

    This has been the coldest April in a long time here in Wisconsin. We have about fourinches of snow, and the power was out for nearly an hour early this afternoon

    Cheers,
    Gary
    XP Scott DeWar, Pendrake Utherman gave XP for this post

  2. #7202
    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    Wonderful weather considering global warming...

    This has been the coldest April in a long time here in Wisconsin. We have about fourinches of snow, and the power was out for nearly an hour early this afternoon

    Cheers,
    Gary

    I still relate with horror the tale of arriving in Lake Geneva last June 16th and the outside temperature being 49F.

    I know, I know, but see I'm from Florida. If it hits the 50's, I break out a sweater!

  3. #7203
    Member
    Guide (Lvl 11)



    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    2,062
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Block Gentlegamer


    Friend+
    My communities:

    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    Frankly, I find very few new fantasy books in the general S&S vein worth reading. I do enjoy the "Diskworld" series, and Glen Cook's "Black Company" novels are appealing to me. Those are about all that spring to mind.
    Probably because most fantasy books these days are in the "romantic fantasy" sub-genre. I'd rather read a "well-wrought tale" any day!

  4. #7204
    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    Frankly, I find very few new fantasy books in the general S&S vein worth reading.
    Me, too. Do you enjoy H. Rider Haggard novels? I've been relishing them of late. The sense of awe he can convey is almost religious in intensity.

  5. #7205
    Member
    Spellbinder (Lvl 16)



    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Posts
    6,079
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Block Doug McCrae


    Friend+
    Gary, what were your inspirations for the D&D party? The small band of adventurers each with different, but equally useful, skills and abilities has been a very important concept in roleplaying games, yet it seems to have few analogues in fiction.

  6. #7206
    Father of the Game
    Ancient Red Dragon (Lvl 30)

    Col_Pladoh's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Lake Geneva, WI
    Posts
    4,756
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Block Col_Pladoh


    Friend+
    Quote Originally Posted by thedungeondelver

    I still relate with horror the tale of arriving in Lake Geneva last June 16th and the outside temperature being 49F.

    I know, I know, but see I'm from Florida. If it hits the 50's, I break out a sweater!
    Heh, the kinfolk from Louisiana wore sweaters almost all the time when up here they missed the couple of weeks of truly hot weather we have with temps in the upper 80s and 90s--sometimes it has his 100 or 101--with very high humidity as well. That is comparable to FLorida's summer weather I am assured.

    Cheers,
    Gary
    XP Scott DeWar, Pendrake Utherman gave XP for this post

  7. #7207
    Father of the Game
    Ancient Red Dragon (Lvl 30)

    Col_Pladoh's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Lake Geneva, WI
    Posts
    4,756
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Block Col_Pladoh


    Friend+
    Quote Originally Posted by Gentlegamer
    Probably because most fantasy books these days are in the "romantic fantasy" sub-genre. I'd rather read a "well-wrought tale" any day!
    That sort of writing is as appealing to me as a Victorian Romance novel...

    Cheers,
    Gary
    XP Scott DeWar, Pendrake Utherman gave XP for this post

  8. #7208
    Father of the Game
    Ancient Red Dragon (Lvl 30)

    Col_Pladoh's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Lake Geneva, WI
    Posts
    4,756
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Block Col_Pladoh


    Friend+
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoffrey
    Me, too. Do you enjoy H. Rider Haggard novels? I've been relishing them of late. The sense of awe he can convey is almost religious in intensity.
    I haven't read any of Haggard's books in many years, but I surely do like his writing. Alan Quartermain, She, King Solomon's Mines, Miawah's Revenge are all remembered with great fondness. I believe he write other stories as well, but I can not remember them, so if I recall rightly, they were not of the caliber of those I can call to mind.

    Incidently, I saw an old B&W film, She, back around 1948, and it scared the daylights out of me as I was only age 10. the Amahagar (sp.?) dropped red-hot pots over the heads of their human victims, and when She Who Must be Obeyed bathed in the ray a second time the decay was most horrifying for a youngster

    Cheers,
    Gary
    XP Scott DeWar, Pendrake Utherman gave XP for this post

  9. #7209
    Father of the Game
    Ancient Red Dragon (Lvl 30)

    Col_Pladoh's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Lake Geneva, WI
    Posts
    4,756
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Block Col_Pladoh


    Friend+
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug McCrae
    Gary, what were your inspirations for the D&D party? The small band of adventurers each with different, but equally useful, skills and abilities has been a very important concept in roleplaying games, yet it seems to have few analogues in fiction.
    Indeed, as far as I know there are no literary parallels of the FRPG adventuring party. My insporation was from wargaming, the mix of arms on the battlefield. Infantry = fighter, rangers/spoes = thief; medical/priest = cleric, artillery/engineers = magic-user.

    Cheerio,
    Gary
    XP Scott DeWar, Pendrake Utherman gave XP for this post

  10. #7210
    Member
    Gallant (Lvl 3)

    dcas's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    503
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Block dcas


    Friend+
    My communities:

    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    Indeed, as far as I know there are no literary parallels of the FRPG adventuring party.
    The Fellowship of the Ring?

    Not saying it was necessarily an inspiration, since I know you are not inordinately fond of Professor Tolkien's work; but the members of the Fellowship have, until their break-up, pretty clear roles as party members.

Closed Thread
Page 721 of 880 FirstFirst ... 221621671711712713714715716717718719720721722723724725726727728729730731771821 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. The Eulogy of Gary Gygax (courtesy of Luke Gygax)
    By Mark CMG in forum Roleplaying Games General Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Tuesday, 4th March, 2014, 08:58 PM
  2. Slate article on Gary's legacy (Merged with Gary Gygax Slandered)
    By maggot in forum Roleplaying Games General Discussion
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: Tuesday, 18th March, 2008, 12:07 AM
  3. In regards to Gary Gygax, A thank you to all of you.
    By KRBourgoine in forum Roleplaying Games General Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Wednesday, 12th March, 2008, 02:22 PM
  4. Thank you,Gary Gygax!
    By elforcelf in forum Miscellaneous Geek Talk & Media Lounge
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Thursday, 29th December, 2005, 04:31 AM
  5. Q&A with Gary Gygax Pt. 3
    By Dinkeldog in forum Archive-threads
    Replies: 350
    Last Post: Tuesday, 22nd July, 2003, 05:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •