TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
dcas said:
The Fellowship of the Ring?

Not saying it was necessarily an inspiration, since I know you are not inordinately fond of Professor Tolkien's work; but the members of the Fellowship have, until their break-up, pretty clear roles as party members.
Sorry, but there isn't a spell-caster amongst the lot.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Gentlegamer said:
I know Gandalf's magic is apparently weak compared to D&D magic, but surely he is a spell-caster!
Nary a cleric nor an illusionist, and Gandalf doesn't cast a truly potent spell on behalf of the party, so I'll stick by my statement :lol:

Cheerio,
Gary

noffham

Explorer
Col_Pladoh said:
Nary a cleric nor an illusionist, and Gandalf doesn't cast a truly potent spell on behalf of the party, so I'll stick by my statement :lol:

Cheerio,
Gary
Gandalf is clearly a psion with several domination-like powers and the ability to battle demons through astral projection. :cool:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
noffham said:
Gandalf is clearly a psion with several domination-like powers and the ability to battle demons through astral projection. :cool:
Errr...

Somehow I do not believe that Professor Tolkien would agree with that.

Cheerio,
Gary

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Col_Pladoh said:

Cheerio,
Gary

Using only the books as sources, his most flamboyant use of magic occurs off-stage - a good example is his battle with the Ringwraiths at Weathertop. Lots of thunder and lightning, but only seen from afar. His battle with the Balrog on the top of Zirak-Zigil is also very flashy, also with lightning and thunder, but again, it's related by him in flashback. The most outright-powerful use of magic he displays "on stage" occurs as he races out to rescue Faramir and company; he uses a ray of light to drive away the Nazgul almost at the gates of Minas Tirith. But, this could have been an effect of the Elven Ring he wore, which was the Ring of Fire.

JRRNeiklot

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
Wonderful weather considering global warming...

This has been the coldest April in a long time here in Wisconsin. We have about fourinches of snow, and the power was out for nearly an hour early this afternoon :]

Cheers,
Gary

Heh, we actually had snpw flurries on Easter in Alabama.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Geoffrey said:
Gandalf was an incarnate angel and definitely not anything described in Gygaxian D&D.

Speaking of J. R. R. Tolkien, are you planning to read The Children of Hurin? Here it is on amazon.com:
http://www.amazon.com/Children-Huri...5868135?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1176418464&sr=1-1

That's the first newly-published fantasy novel that I've looked forward to since I can remember.
Indeed, whatever Gandalf might have been in regards the Professor's mind, he was not a character that is comparable to virtually any FRPG system I can think of that was not designed specifically from the Rings Trilogy.

I am in no hurry to read the "new" JRRT book, as I have plenty of reading material at the moment.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
ColonelHardisson said:
Using only the books as sources, his most flamboyant use of magic occurs off-stage - a good example is his battle with the Ringwraiths at Weathertop. Lots of thunder and lightning, but only seen from afar. His battle with the Balrog on the top of Zirak-Zigil is also very flashy, also with lightning and thunder, but again, it's related by him in flashback. The most outright-powerful use of magic he displays "on stage" occurs as he races out to rescue Faramir and company; he uses a ray of light to drive away the Nazgul almost at the gates of Minas Tirith. But, this could have been an effect of the Elven Ring he wore, which was the Ring of Fire.
Heh,

And what other sources might one use for Gandalf other than the books Tolkein authored? As far as I can determine, the Professor's concept of the magic used on Middle Earth was not of the sort common in S&S fiction and founf in FRPGs.

Cheerio.
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads